Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hello Everyone!

Scott Powell

Hello everyone,

I am new to these forums and new to USPSA shooting and these forums are a wealth of knowledge! I have been reading through all the various posts to try and get my arms around the sport. I have shot Registered Trap for years and run a large Trap & Sporting Clays range in Ohio: North Lawrence Fish & Game club located in North Lawrence, Ohio – north of Massillon off SR21.

In addition to my personal plans to start shooting USPSA this coming year I am also gearing up at North Lawrence to host USPSA & Steel Challenge matches in 2011. Our club has a large rifle / pistol range and we are in the process of constructing a separate dedicated pistol range (under a pavilion) and another large (1 acre) range area for setting up stages – these will be operational by spring.

We have the space (78 acres), the clubhouse facilities, camping facilities and the funds to startup a USPSA Match program in 2011. All I need now is the participation! I am looking for shooters that are interested in participating AND I am looking for experienced individuals to assist with developing the program. I will be traveling around the state attending matches as I can to take notes and learn….

If you are interested in attending matches at NLFG or in helping develop a program, please contact me any time. The club website has additional information about the club and our location.

Scott Powell

Vice-President

North Lawrence Fish & Game Club

http://www.nlfg.org

mpowell@powell-consulting.com

330-416-9710

Sorry I'm at work and can't look up your website. Sounds like you are up north though. Pickaway County Sportsmen in Circleville is an excellent facility. Look them up or better yet come and shoot their USPSA match next Saturday the 6th. There is a board member there who also is the USPSA match director, Very good shooter and all around nice guy. They put on some of the best local matches around.

Miami Rifle and Pistol club in Cincinnati is also an excellent facility and will be hosting the Ohio State Match next spring. The match director there is also a good shooter and a pretty decent guy as well. I just got elected to the BOD and will be glad to help in any way we possibly can.

Miamisburg Sportsmens club in Miamisburg(Dayton Area) is also home to some great matches, great shooters and very helpful USPSA types.

They are all pretty well set up facilities. If you ever want to check them out let me know. Another sanctioned match would be a good thing.

Thanks Kevin!

I am going to try and make it to Pickaway next weekend for the shoot.. Not sure if I'll be ready to shoot the match but I can take notes and meet people. I really want to make this go at the club and it is my intention to do what it takes to make it happen! The upside for me is I already know what I'm getting myself into having run registered trapshoots for 6 years!! :-)

I sent him an email earlier today... I guess now I need to either find or organize an RO course... I had to go to Indiana for my USA Shooting / NRA Coaching certification - hopefully I can pull together enough students and host one at the club.

I sent him an email earlier today... I guess now I need to either find or organize an RO course... I had to go to Indiana for my USA Shooting / NRA Coaching certification - hopefully I can pull together enough students and host one at the club.

Count me in for an RO course if you have one, been looking for one close.

I am going to try and make it to Pickaway next weekend for the shoot.. Not sure if I'll be ready to shoot the match but I can take notes and meet people. I really want to make this go at the club and it is my intention to do what it takes to make it happen! The upside for me is I already know what I'm getting myself into having run registered trapshoots for 6 years!! :-)

Scott,

You're not too far away from me and am also in the process of affiliating my club also with the USPSA. I'm a USPSA RO and shoot USPSA matches at MidWest Gun Club in Canal Fulton once in a while. I'm sure you know some of the guys there. There are a couple other ROs there and a friend of mine lives in Medina and she is a CRO.

I live in Cuyahoga Falls and belong to the Portage Summit Field & Stream Club in Deerfield, OH and am also in the process to affiliate my club with the USPSA. This year I directed 7 action pistol matches to get club interest in the sport. Interest is good and I should have my club affiliated in 2011.

If you haven't done so already, for starters, you'll have to call the USPSA National office (360)855-2245 and ask for Val. Ask for a club application to affiliate with USPSA. You'll need a minimum of 10 current members, or who will become, members of the USPSA sign the application roster. When that is done, the application goes to Kyle F. (Flexmoney), our Section Coordinator. Cost to affiliate a new club is $65.

I will be shooting at Circleville Nov 6th. Hope to meet you there. I'm planning on running matches next year the 2nd weekend of every month when the weather gets good. I would attend your matches to shoot and help.

Jeff LaFlame

Edited by Flexmoney

Scott,

Did I get back with you with that email? I think I got pulled away while typing it up and didn't get it sent?

Anyway...I was going to strongly suggest trying to make it to the C-ville (Pickaway) match this Saturday. I might not shoot either, but I'll be there and can answer any questions with examples (the match on the ground) that we can point to and show.

Kyle F.

Ohio Section Coordinator - USPSA

Great news, Scott. You'll be the closest match I can get to at the present time. When it comes time to schedule matches please try to avoid the 1st Saturday and 3rd Sunday as they are typically the PCSI and Rayner's USPSA matches. Do you have an e-mail list set up yet?

Flex - I believe we will start with Steel Challenge. It seems a bit less complicated than USPSA or IDPA. Our current construction plans will allow for 5 separate stages that can be shot simultaneously. We are also considering some modification to the area where we shoot 5 stand. We have the ability to dig the area out to make a very large pit area that could how several stages.

From what I have read, it appears that a 75ft deep by 50ft wide bunker would be sufficient for each stage - does that seem realistic?

Flex - I believe we will start with Steel Challenge. It seems a bit less complicated than USPSA or IDPA. Our current construction plans will allow for 5 separate stages that can be shot simultaneously. We are also considering some modification to the area where we shoot 5 stand. We have the ability to dig the area out to make a very large pit area that could how several stages.

From what I have read, it appears that a 75ft deep by 50ft wide bunker would be sufficient for each stage - does that seem realistic?

Well, that depends... That is good if that is what you have to work with. ;) But, if you have more latitude, then you will want bigger bays than that.

Be sure to ask me about that on Saturday and I will be able to tell and show you the pros and cons of a few different sized bays (Pickaway has a little bit of variety).

If I want to shoot the match what all do I need? I've never shot USPSA - good time to learn I guess...

centerfire, 9mm or larger

200+ rounds of ammo

A safe holster (and eyes and ear protection)

plenty of magazines (and mag holders, if you have them)

a good attitude and...

be willing to smile when it doesn't go as well as it does in the movies. roflol.gif

What kind of gun do you like?

It is very encouraging to see so many responses! My biggest concern has been the potential level of participation.. This entire project is new construction. We (the club) are going to be committing the best part of $40-$50k to the construction.

My thoughts for this coming summer (assuming construction goes as planned) will be to host matches starting in June thru October. I would like to have a scheduled practice night each week if there is interest.. The ley to the success of this endeavor lies a great deal with all of you... We are committed to providing a world class facility but I will need help – help organizing, help designing, etc…

Looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can at Circleville!

Scott