Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it safe to compete with a Ruger?

Revopop

Ever since I got into revolvers, I've been a dyed in the wool S&W guy. I have several, and I like them very much, and never really saw the need to look at anything else. By all accounts, Rugers are strong, well-built revolvers, but it's always been said that the way the company was run was not very friendly to the competitive shooter, like how spare parts are not available and a gun with custom work that's sent in for repairs will be returned to factory specs. However, it seems that since Bill Ruger has passed on things are improving. First they come out with the LCP, then the LCR, both guns designed specifically for concealed carry, then the SR-556, a really nice black rifle, and they've started selling hi-cap Mini-14 mags to the general public.

I've personally been pretty impressed with Ruger lately. I was intrigued by the LCR when it first came out, but I thought for a pocket gun the grips were huge. Then they came out with another version with a boot grip and a night sight to boot. I got one and I really like it. My girl's cousin just bought a new M77 rifle, and the newer mark 2 version has a very nice out of the box trigger pull, where I'd always heard the trigger on previous Ruger rifles was horrendous. My girl's dad is a Ruger nut, and he recently sent in an older Mark 2 pistol for repair. It couldn't be repaired due to structural damage, but they sold him a new one for half of dealer cost, and sent back everything but the serial numbered frame, including his aftermarket Clark trigger kit. A while back I handled a GP100, and it seems like a really nice gun for the money, but I was turned off by everything I'd ever heard about the way the company was run. Now I'm reconsidering.

So what do you guys think? Is the apparent new direction of the company worth taking a chance on?

Don't know about the company and it's policies, but I did watch a friend make "GM" in 4 classifier stages with a 4" GP100 and speedloaders, that's worth something to me. My 625 just had a major breakdown and will be on theway back to S&W. Love my Smiths, but who knows? Maybe Ruger will start making a 5" .45 ACP revo milled for moonclips, and have them AVAILABLE to the shooters that want them?

I own a few of each, and the way my pc smith has treated me, I'd go for another Ruger. I haven't shot the lcr, but it's supposed to have a good trigger out of the box. Sure is ugly overall, but I do really dig the machining on the cylinder. S&W is the only company to actually put any effort into building a gun for the competitive shooting community, so I think we're stuck with them for awhile.

The ruger revolvers are a joy to work on compared to the smiths. You don't have to beat them with a screwdriver handle to take them apart!

I started into shooting sports by way of Cowboy Action Shooting, and I began reloading .45 Colt. When I decided to try IDPA and USPSA I wanted a revolver that used that caliber ammunition to keep things simple. I came across the Ruger Alaskan that is chambered for .454 Casull/.45 Colt and use that to this day. I have made no modifications to the revolver, so it still has a trigger pull of approximately 16 pounds. About a year into IDPA and USPSA I came across a S&W 625 and tried it and compared the two revolvers. I personally like the Alaskan more than the 625, but I am the type of person that prefers the "road less traveled" and the less common way of doing things.

I have not used a GP-100 yet, but have been considering trying it. From handling one it feels like a good choice for competition. After finding out that it was used to reach GM recently using speedloaders by Mr. Brevit, I would tend to believe that it indeed would be a good revolver for competition.

I personally will be sticking with my Alaskan, as I have a goal of reaching A class with it in the next couple of years using speedloaders. I'm determined to stick with the Alaskan in it's current configuration (it could be cut for moon clips) until I feel that I have reached a point that the equipment is holding me back instead of my skills not being honed enough.

Edited by Blueridge

I'm all for tilting at windmills, and certainly in IDPA SSR Ruger holds its own just fine. But up against a moonclipped gun it's just not going to be a good choice.

I was always a big fan of Ruger, they made good, affordable guns in every configuration possible, except moonclips. Somebody call 'em up and get them to make a .45ACP, and I'll gladly give it a whirl.

H.

I picked up a GP100 (6in, full lug) for a nice price. I'll be loading some softball rounds (38spl, TG and 158JHP's) tonight, and I'll see how it shoots tomorrow. Mine need the trigger cleaned up. I think it points better for me than most of the S&W wheel guns that I've handled. (But, that is likely a matter of grips and practice.)

I don't know anything about Ruger's current policies. It's good to see they are willing to put the 327Mag into their lineup with an extra round in the cylinder (7 rounds for the GP100 & 6 rounds for the SP101) . If they do that with the LCR (6 rounds of 327MAG), then I'll have an itch to buy one.

I'm all for tilting at windmills, and certainly in IDPA SSR Ruger holds its own just fine. But up against a moonclipped gun it's just not going to be a good choice.

I was always a big fan of Ruger, they made good, affordable guns in every configuration possible, except moonclips. Somebody call 'em up and get them to make a .45ACP, and I'll gladly give it a whirl.

H.

The Alaskan weighs too much for SSR, I have to compete in ESR against competition using moonclips. I agree that it is not a "good" choice for competitive shooting, And I would not suggest that someone use one in competition. The GP-100 would be a better choice than the Alaskan. I accept the challenge of using the Alaskan, and rise to it willingly. I'll see how well I manage competing with all of the revolver shooters at the Memphis Charity Challenge coming up soon.

Edited by Blueridge

H.

The Alaskan weighs too much for SSR, I have to compete in ESR against competition using moonclips. I agree that it is not a "good" choice for competitive shooting, And I would not suggest that someone use one in competition. The GP-100 would be a better choice than the Alaskan. I accept the challenge of using the Alaskan, and rise to it willingly. I'll see how well I manage competing with all of the revolver shooters at the Memphis Charity Challenge coming up soon.

Then tilt away, I say! We should set up a piece of steel for 200pf so that the rest of us have to hammer it while you only need one shot. :-)

H.

After finding out that it was used to reach GM recently using speedloaders by Mr. Brevit, I would tend to believe that it indeed would be a good revolver for competition.

I shot his GP100. He does a great action job, and the action's as slick as snot on a doorknob. In person, he makes a strong case for the GP100 design as well. I would've likely bought one and given it to Dean for a tuning if I hadn't stumbled on a nice 66 instead.

The traditional dig against Rugers (that I've heard of) is the design of cylinder release. S&W push forward and Ruger are in. Some think the S&W is more intuitive. Also, the issues of parts and skilled smiths plus the factory service issue of "undoing" customizations.

When I shoot SSR (not very often), I use a older Taurus 669, it's a near clone of the K--frame. But I have two of them and ALWAYS take both.

As far as them undoing custom work, it can go either way. I've seen them remove beautifully tuned parts and leave in ugly "slick and sloppy" ones (that I hoped they'd replace ) on others. There definitely been changes in the repair shop because they've started to do things that they never would in the past.

H.

Then tilt away, I say! We should set up a piece of steel for 200pf so that the rest of us have to hammer it while you only need one shot. :-)

H.

"You tilt when you should withdraw......And that too is noble."

-A Knight's tale

:)

I picked up a GP100 (6in, full lug) for a nice price. I'll be loading some softball rounds (38spl, TG and 158JHP's) tonight, and I'll see how it shoots tomorrow. Mine need the trigger cleaned up. I think it points better for me than most of the S&W wheel guns that I've handled. (But, that is likely a matter of grips and practice.)

I don't know anything about Ruger's current policies. It's good to see they are willing to put the 327Mag into their lineup with an extra round in the cylinder (7 rounds for the GP100 & 6 rounds for the SP101) . If they do that with the LCR (6 rounds of 327MAG), then I'll have an itch to buy one.

Just from my experience, Titegroup tends to burn hot and longer USPSA stages can get the cylinder too hot to touch. TG has been accurate for me, but I prefer Clays as it is much cooler burning, for me anyway, enjoy revo !!!

The traditional dig against Rugers (that I've heard of) is the design of cylinder release. S&W push forward and Ruger are in. Some think the S&W is more intuitive. Also, the issues of parts and skilled smiths plus the factory service issue of "undoing" customizations.

And you pull back on Colts, and Dan Wessons have the release on the crane. Not all guns are made with the same cookie cutters. Practice is the key.

And you pull back on Colts, and Dan Wesson's have the release on the crane. Not all guns are made with the same cookie cutters. Practice is the key.

Agree, you can train for and succeed with any hardware. Also, natural talent and dexterity help. :cheers:

BUT, if one design is more natural or easier to learn, it will succeed. Logistical advantages like availability of parts and better access to experienced 'smiths help as well.

For many shooters the S&W is a well supported and durable design that many find easy to learn and use. Ruger's (as well as Colt's, and Wesson's) are good quality but there are reasons why they are not nearly as popular for competition.

If I were to buy a new revo for competition, I'd go with S&W. A bit more expensive than a Ruger, but for me a little better trigger out of the box and easier design to learn, many more options for tunning IMHO, plus very good support for competition from the factory and accessory industry.

Can you do well with a Ruger, sure you can. If that's what you want to use, go for it. Just note you are going counter culture.

I've been thinking that a Ruger might be better for a leftie like me. I'm already used to hitting the mag release with my trigger finger. It seems to me that the releasing the cylinder would be a similar motion. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to play with a Ruger.

I just picked up a LCR.

Nice trigger pull, but the return was very notchy. It also rattles around like a Glock with the trigger down and a 4 oz. striker. That bugs me; a triger mech. that is normal to rattle around. Traded it for a 642; problem solved.

Yeah, I've seen some of the Ron Power guns before. I certainly wouldn't put the kind of money into a Ruger that I would into a Smith, or do something crazy like get a Redhawk moonclipped and try to run it in USPSA. But I think it'd be unreasonable to get a GP100 fluffed & buffed for SSR or ICORE.

I have a GP-100 that I use to shoot steel from time to time. I don't think the Ruger gives up much against other six-shot guns. With Comp III loaders, the gun can be refreshed equally as fast as S&W using the same technique. The push button cylinder release is a non-issue in my opinion. Both the Ruger and the S&W beat the pull release on a Colt.

I decided to try using the Ruger simply to get more practice. I already owned the gun and wanted to shoot it more frequently (everyone else uses S&W).

The Ruger trigger is narrower than the Smith. Assuming you were to find one from each company that measures the same on a trigger pull scale, the Smith trigger feels easier on the finger.

If you shoot a lot of cast bullets, taking the cylinder assembly apart to get the gunk out of it is a chore on the Ruger whereas cleaning the yoke on a Smith is pretty easy.

My GP is at least 10 years old, and Ruger has been making changes; perhaps to speed up production. I looked at a new one recently. My cylinder has two pins to stabilize the extractor star. The new guns lack these pins. I'd have to play with one a bit to see if this causes any issues.

Ruger also has shifted over to 'ergonomic' grips with finger grooves. The older, straighter grips were better as I see it.

SteelShooten

I'd always heard the trigger on previous Ruger rifles was horrendous

I would tend to agree with that as far as the factory trigger is concerned but the stock parts can be dressed a bit to get a much better trigger.

I just reread my last post, a actually DON'T think it'd be unreasonable to get a GP100 fixed up for IDPA &/or ICORE.

As far as the cylinder release thing, I'd agree with SteelShooten, doesn't seem like they're different enough for it to be an issue, and both are definitely better than the Colt release.

The pins on the star shouldn't be a big deal, S&W quit makin 'em that way years ago and I haven't had any issues. The narrower trigger is one of the things I like about the GP100.

I started USPSA with a GP100 I had on hand and migrated to the 625. There are things I like better about the Ruger and things I like better about the S&W.

In the Ruger's favor:

1. Durability - especially the cylinder stops which are peening on my S&W but not my Ruger

2. Cylinder release - I do a strong-hand reload and hit the release with by weak-hand thumb while pushing the cylinder out with my trigger finger

3. Break-down procedure - cleaning the Ruger is a joy compared to the S&W

4. Grips - The factory grips on my Ruger give me more of a purchase with my weak hand

In the 625's favor:

1. Moon clips - both an advantage and a joy to shoot with

2. Double-action pull - my Ruger has a decent trigger job but pull weight seems to peak in the middle rather than build throughout the pull

3. Parts availability

• 2 weeks later...

Revopop,

You can't go wrong with the GP-100, I just got a 3" for IDPA (hell ICORE and USPSA also) two hours of work on it today and it's ready to go, need a front night sight though.

Dean is just cool like that!!! 3" in USPSA, you da man