Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Im a crappy shotgunner so I can uphold the traditon of PG's not being on the winning guns. I figure if I hate it I can pretty easily trade it on non 3 gun forums. My goals aren't really competition but the destruction of soda cans and an ocassional stray clay bird. So the question still floats in internet space. thanks for your time!!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have a little over a thousand rds through Benny's Tactical 930. Zero Malfunctions.

I shot a match the other day and mine was the only 930 that didn't have malfunctions.

Thanks Benny! It's been a great shotgun!

Benny, I believe I got your first 930, have you changed anything since your first models?

I noticed you chromed the bolt on the open 930.

http://www.thegunsource.com/item/560824_Mossberg_Rifles_Shotguns_Mossberg_85119_JM_Pro_930_12ga_24_Synthetic_8_Shot.aspx

Out of stock, at least it has a model number.

Price 572.99

Can't build it for that.

Looks like I will have 2 930s when this one comes out.

From talking to Benny at the AR15 Rockcastle match, I think one advantage of this gun is a hard plating on the mag tube.

David E.

Look for the pdf file on google search. There is a pic. Although it came up blurry on my phone.

BTW. I heard it'll still be a few months till it hits shelves

Looks like what you would expect of a 930 with a 24" unported barrel. +5 Nordic tube, Nordic clamp and Nordic bolt handle. If that price is right its a great deal even if everything else is just typical 930 stuff.

Oh, and David E. Thanks for the info/videos you posted on your 930 hand cycle work. I followed your advice along with some minor other tweaks of my own and my 930 will hand cycle (done either gently or with force)a full 8 round tube 100% of the time, which is to say more reliably than it did when bone stock.

Id like to see a pic of the loading port on the JM gun

Think a few posters on this thread said they were going to SHOT. Hopefully well see some pics soon

Edited by sdm74

Oh, and David E. Thanks for the info/videos you posted on your 930 hand cycle work. I followed your advice along with some minor other tweaks of my own and my 930 will hand cycle (done either gently or with force)a full 8 round tube 100% of the time, which is to say more reliably than it did when bone stock.

JKW, glad it worked out for you.

has anyone used the supplied stock shim adjusters? I saw them packaged in the box and they looked like they fit inside the stock so Im wondering how they can work without creating a unsightly gap where the stock meets the reciever?

I have installed them, for each shim you install under the recoil pad on the end of the buffer tube (which moves/adjusts the stock angle) there is a matching shim that goes between the stock and receiver to correct the alignment. I did go back to the original setup and think I need to lengthen my stock for a better fit.

If I remember correctly, the pre-production on Benny's table at the AR15-Rockcastle PRO/AM model had no mag well porting. Hope the production model does, if not it’s easy to do. It might be a challenge to add the porting to the manufacturing of the reciever so if handworking was required that would drive the price up.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

If I remember correctly, the pre-production on Benny's table at the AR15-Rockcastle PRO/AM model had no mag well porting. Hope the production model does, if not it’s easy to do. It might be a challenge to add the porting to the manufacturing of the reciever so if handworking was required that would drive the price up.

David E.

On the flanigan model it says loading port was "chamfered, to ease in reloading", not sure what that entails

Yeah I think Benny's comment was if it were his gun he would open up the loading port more than was done at the factory.

Glad to see this gun finally coming to light. RIGHT before the shot show. Unless they are dense enough not to have one there I will post pictures some time next week.

Holy Somolians, I have lost my collective mind trying to find the perfect answer on a 3 gun shotgun. You can only pour over so many pages of opinions before you finally make a decision before the wife puts you forever out of your misery.

The winner this year is the Mossberg 930, and lord I hope I went the right way. I thought I would list the reasons why and we'll see how successful I am this year. Being a newby to the senior division, it ought to be right interesting.

1. Comparative Price-Hard to beat a low price for a new 24 inch straight grip turkey model. $429 is just downright reasonable.

2. The lower price allows for a lot of room to make changes, modifications, and add the competition parts without pouring well over $1000 into an FLN or even more for the Benellis.

3. The 24 inch barrel allows for a better balance when adding a 5 round extension mag tube. The ports will be sealed via stock metal and the Nordic clamp.

4. An IC choke to replace the full one included was only $20 bucks, now I have a shotgun to use for both 3 gun AND hunting.

5. I certainly belive Jerry M. would not use a Mossberg if he thought he was not presenting a good product,so reliabilty must be improving. Cleaning the gun to keep it running will be something to force me to do proper maintenance.

6. The posts here answer just about every question for performance so there is a wealth of info out there.

7. The number of available accessories was outstanding. No, it does not fit together like the higher end guns, but this is a competition weapon, it really suits its intended purpose.

8. If I drop it, toss it, get it rained or snowed on, or plain kick it 50 yards down the range, no big deal (That usually happens on the first stage anyway.)

AND

9. If I don't shoot worth a damn, I can always scream "Why didn't I buy the Benelli!!!!!!!!! (Plausible deniability)

So, we shall see indeed, the matches are coming and I'm ready to tinker and otherwise see if I can out run myself, wish me luck.

8. If I drop it, toss it, get it rained or snowed on, or plain kick it 50 yards down the range, no big deal (That usually happens on the first stage anyway.)

I'm torn between describing my 930 as the "Tank" or "Glock Shotgun" as it has both those qualities.

David E.

I did not want to go too high in mag capacity because I want to stay out of the Open Division. I am no where near the ability level these guys are, and I see the Tactical division as my best chance to learn and improve. I find when you are a quad trillion seconds behind the leader, your ego can indeed suffer. When I went to my second match last year, I heard what I though was a slow full auto gun being used. Then I understood just how fast some of the optic division guys are, and will work my way up the other levels first.

As far as sights go, I went with the simple fiber optic sight, and will mount a rail and add a low rear sight to use for now. I think staying with what I am used to, (870 with a fiber front signt) will enable me to learn, and as I progress, add differnet sight configurations as I get used to the feel of the new gun. Stayed away from the pistol grip because again, with a shotgun I am used to that feel. Pretty hard to relearn 55 years of using certain platforms.

also is the entire front ghost ring post metal?

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review

Post #12 goes into some detail on the different front sights used on the SPX.

I did not want to go too high in mag capacity because I want to stay out of the Open Division. I am no where near the ability level these guys are, and I see the Tactical division as my best chance to learn and improve. I find when you are a quad trillion seconds behind the leader, your ego can indeed suffer. When I went to my second match last year, I heard what I though was a slow full auto gun being used. Then I understood just how fast some of the optic division guys are, and will work my way up the other levels first

I'm a firm believer that is it more about the indian than the arrow as long as the arrow is workable.

Mag capacity on a tube mag shotgun does not determine division, how many you put in the mag might.

David E.

question, is trying to bust a hand thrown clay with ghost ring sights; impossible, next to impossible, difficult or doable? also is the entire front ghost ring post metal? thanks!! Im still trying to decide which model to buy :unsure:

Not impossible at all, I've got the SPX and use it for sporting clays about every other weekend. I'm about as good / bad as my buddies with their over-unders. I assume there will be a difference when you get into serious clays with real competitors, but I've seen no difference. Even borrowed their O/U's on some stands and my shooting was consistently the same (mediocre :-).

My theory is that using the same shotgun means that my time on clays is also helping me in 3gun (that's yet to be proven), clays gives me the familiarity and the practice and nothing will move as fast or be as difficult to hit in 3gun as a fast moving clay.

Edited by DoNoHarm

also is the entire front ghost ring post metal?

http://www.weaponevolution.com/forum/showthread.php?167-Mossberg-930-SPX-Review

Post #12 goes into some detail on the different front sights used on the SPX.

I did not want to go too high in mag capacity because I want to stay out of the Open Division. I am no where near the ability level these guys are, and I see the Tactical division as my best chance to learn and improve. I find when you are a quad trillion seconds behind the leader, your ego can indeed suffer. When I went to my second match last year, I heard what I though was a slow full auto gun being used. Then I understood just how fast some of the optic division guys are, and will work my way up the other levels first

I'm a firm believer that is it more about the indian than the arrow as long as the arrow is workable.

Mag capacity on a tube mag shotgun does not determine division, how many you put in the mag might.

David E.

I agree the tube does not put you in a higher class, but on the other hand with the 24" barrel I can always increase the lenght. It is just my personal preference on looks not to extend the tube past the barrel. It is something to consider in the future as I improve. BTW watching the open division is a lot of fun for us beginners, the speed, accuracy, and hours of practice to get there is amazing.

I noticed that the front sight on the Mossberg SPX are fairly tall, but I like the rear sight, but I wonder if going with a rail and if adding the height of the rear sight woiud cause too much of a mismatch for the sights to align correctly.