Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im picking up my 930 today. Are there any tips on 1st initial cleaning of it you guys could give? Or is it covered in the manuel pretty good? This will be my first semi-auto, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

steve

Im picking up my 930 today. Are there any tips on 1st initial cleaning of it you guys could give? Or is it covered in the manuel pretty good? This will be my first semi-auto, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

steve

Mine wasn't particularly greasy when I picked it up, I don't know that it would need an initial cleaning. If you do take the trigger group out be aware that all of the pins are contained by the frame and other parts, once the trigger group and bolt are out and about things tend to start falling out by themselves. Keep everything in the upright position until you understand where it all goes, that should keep it in line. You don't have to remove the bolt or barrel to remove the trigger group.

... If you do take the trigger group out be aware that all of the pins are contained by the frame and other parts, once the trigger group and bolt are out and about things tend to start falling out by themselves. Keep everything in the upright position until you understand where it all goes, that should keep it in line. You don't have to remove the bolt or barrel to remove the trigger group.

Cocking the hammer prior to taking out the trigger group helps hold things in place. Just be careful if you press the trigger.

Later,

Chuck

OK. Today is the first chance I have had to really mess around with my new 930. I like it pretty good but do have one small issue. It seems like I have to shove my thumb half way into the mag tube when loading in order to get the shells to catch on the shell catch. If I load like I am used to with my Remi, the shells will catch on the lifter and feel like they are in. But, when you load the next couple of rounds, everything will come spitting back out at you. I know about using the bolt release to dump shells and I am not hitting the bolt release button as I load. It just feels like the shell catch is too far up causing me to have to push the shells further than I am used to. It has slowed my reloads down quite a bit. Is this normal for the 930 and something I will jusyt have to practice and adjust to or is there some kind of fix to make it so I don't have to actually stick the entire tip of my thumb in the mag tube to load.

Thanks,

Rob

See post #12 this thread.

My link

opening the loading port forward solves two problems:

- you don't have to stick your thumb into the mag tube to catch the shell holder

- you don't have to weld the lifter.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

My link

- you don't have to stick your thumb into the mag tube to catch the shell holder

David E.

Thanks David. I love what you did w/ your 930. Wish I had seen your thread before I purchased. I would have gotten the 24" Turkey and covered the ports. Wasn't sure if that would be USPSA legal though. I got the 28" waterfowler. Guess I'm gonna buy the 24" non-ported barrel from Mossberg. Finally got in touch w/ someone there who is resopnsive and seems to know what they are talking about. Gonna sell my Remi 1100 and let the 930 do double duty as my competition gun and bird gun. Makes my wife nervous when I break out the dremel on a brand new gun...lol....guess I'll modify the port when she's not home.

Rob

Edited by RED357

Rob,

Unless you want the 28" barrel for something else you could have it cut and threaded for chokes.

I would expect it to be cheaper, 60-80 bucks?

The port covers have held up the whole season. With them painted black ROs MDs dont give them a second look and in reality they are legal since they dont function.

Just keep the piston and mag tube seating surfaces clean and it should run like a champ.

There is a negative to having the lifer welded. As you have noticed, if you push the bolt release with the bolt closed, more than one shell goes into the receiver and with a welded lifer its really hard to force it back into the mag tube.

Jusr read your post again, looks like you want/need another barrel, I use my 24" for 3 Gun, skeet, squrrels and deer with slugs.

Have fun.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

Five six,

Hows your cheek weld with those sights?

David E.

I think its great, but ask someone else to see if I have bad form.

I feel like this allows me to transition targets much faster than the "rifle" sights( 2 sets of fibers held on the vent rib by a little tension) that are put on the 24" barrel that everyone has been ordering.

OK. Today is the first chance I have had to really mess around with my new 930. I like it pretty good but do have one small issue. It seems like I have to shove my thumb half way into the mag tube when loading in order to get the shells to catch on the shell catch. If I load like I am used to with my Remi, the shells will catch on the lifter and feel like they are in. But, when you load the next couple of rounds, everything will come spitting back out at you. I know about using the bolt release to dump shells and I am not hitting the bolt release button as I load. It just feels like the shell catch is too far up causing me to have to push the shells further than I am used to. It has slowed my reloads down quite a bit. Is this normal for the 930 and something I will jusyt have to practice and adjust to or is there some kind of fix to make it so I don't have to actually stick the entire tip of my thumb in the mag tube to load.

Thanks,

Rob

Same here. I just picked mine up from the FFL, and admittedly I haven't read a single thing from the box yet.

First thing I tried to do was load some dummy rounds and I ran into the same problems you did, coming from a Remington 1100 as well. It does look like the rounds need to be pushed in a bit more to pass the shell stop.

Next think I tried to do was remove the plug and ran into that spring retainer under the cap. Nothing in the manual about removing it... time to Google.

Edited by EvilBetty

Thanks,

Rob

Same here. I just picked mine up from the FFL, and admittedly I haven't read a single thing from the box yet.

First thing I tried to do was load some dummy rounds and I ran into the same problems you did, coming from a Remington 1100 as well. It does look like the rounds need to be pushed in a bit more to pass the shell stop.

Next think I tried to do was remove the plug and ran into that spring retainer under the cap. Nothing in the manual about removing it... time to Google.

IIRC just pull it straight out, its a two piece deal on the spring retainer.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Rob,

Unless you want the 28" barrel for something else you could have it cut and threaded for chokes.

I would expect it to be cheaper, 60-80 bucks?

The port covers have held up the whole season. With them painted black ROs MDs don’t give them a second look and in reality they are legal since they don’t function.

Just keep the piston and mag tube seating surfaces clean and it should run like a champ.

There is a negative to having the lifer welded. As you have noticed, if you push the bolt release with the bolt closed, more than one shell goes into the receiver and with a welded lifer it’s really hard to force it back into the mag tube.

Jusr read your post again, looks like you want/need another barrel, I use my 24" for 3 Gun, skeet, squrrels and deer with slugs.

Have fun.

David E.

I was thinking the same about the welded lifter as it is quite difficult to get the shells back in as is. I would have rather just had the one barrel and covered the ports to save money if I had thought that was a viable option. But, since it's not to difficult to swap the barrels, and I have already bought the gun with the 28" barrel, I'll prob just buy the 24" for competition and maybe gobblers and swap to the 28" for clays, dove, and ducks. If the 930 can cover all my semi-auto shotgun needs, I can sell my Remi and recoup some of the money and make room in the safe for another gun...lol

Thanks,

Rob

IIRC just pull it straight out, its a two piece deal on the spring retainer.

There's stuff to read in the box?.....lol....jk...I have taken the gun almost completely apart and cleaned and oiled everything. Didn't mess with the mag tube yet. Waiting to get my extension.

You never really know how something works until you have it completely disassembled: cheers:

I do have an exception for Pre M+P S&W pistols, won’t be taking anymore of those apart to parade rest. :angry2:

Next thing I tried to do was remove the plug and ran into that spring retainer under the cap. Nothing in the manual about removing it... time to Google.

It’s just installed with a little tension/press-tight fit. It comes right out.

I didn't use it when installing the Nordic extension.

David E.

I just picked mine up last night also. Mine was just made mid november and much better fit and finish then the 935 I saw at walmart. Seems lite quite a deal for 400 bucks. Only complaint is the plastic retainer for the gas system came broken from factory. Would be a nice peice for a company to make a alloy one since it seems pretty flimsy. I was also wondering about the mag extension tube retainer but it must be easy since there are no threads on this issue.

Five six,

Hows your cheek weld with those sights?

David E.

I threw a rail onto mine and mounted a Burris XTS dot, and I have to say it feels more natural to look that high than down the rib. I might go for a tall iron setup as well.

Matt

Edited by Matt Griffin

Anyone mod their 930 for 8+1, would like to know how that can be done without putting a longer tube on. If you did use a longer, tube, which one did you get?

I sent my barrel to Briley's and had chokes installed, anyone do this and has anyone shot a 3-gun match with it yet?

How is it?

Thanks..

I was just wondering about the sight height, I guess the "shotgun guys/bird/clay bird" shooters don't like anything but a front bead at most. They rely on gun fit and almost aim by looking at the target with a good cheek weld. Since most 3 gun targets are fast acquisition and not precise slug shooting, many prefer a single front bead/FO for speed.

I switched to a single FO front after talking to Benny at the AR15 pro/am; He said the 930 factory 3gun would come with a single FO front.

Mokken,

Go for 10+1, you can always "plug" it to reduce capacity for USPSA matches.

10+1 allows you more choices when reloading. If you go with +8 I'll bet after you shoot a few outlaw matches that allow more after the buzzer you will understand.

David E.

My link

David E.

David,

Just finished grinding the loading port on my brand new, never fired shotgun per your advice...lol.. It worked beautifully. Loads just like my Remi now (of course w/out having to hit the release button w/ each shell). Timed myself loading 4 rounds from 4 round caddies (don't have my extension yet) and was slightly faster than my best Remi load. I am a happy camper. My dremel work isn't quite as pretty as yours. But, it got the job done. Thanks again for the help.

Rob

My link

David E.

David,

Just finished grinding the loading port on my brand new, never fired shotgun per your advice...lol.. It worked beautifully. Loads just like my Remi now (of course w/out having to hit the release button w/ each shell). Timed myself loading 4 rounds from 4 round caddies (don't have my extension yet) and was slightly faster than my best Remi load. I am a happy camper. My dremel work isn't quite as pretty as yours. But, it got the job done. Thanks again for the help.

Rob

Rob, now that you have it roughed in with the dremel go back with some files and sand paper and get it slick. You can also do some final shaping while you are there.