Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

South West Shooting's Dry Fire Kit

Nemesis Lead

Can't say if it's junk.

I personally have no use for any "dry fire kit".

Seriously, a little piece of paper shoved between the barrel hood and the frame works just fine for dry fire practice.

Jim

Can't say if it's junk.

Seriously, a little piece of paper shoved between the barrel hood and the frame works just fine for dry fire practice.

Jim

I do this as well, though there isn't a "break" in the trigger with the paper "out of battery" method.

Now, if this new kit actually can closely approximate the normal break in the trigger, I might consider it, but, if not, well, my piece of paper costs me nothing to use.

I use it and like it. It doesn't have the striker-break feeling to it but the pull weight is heavy enough for me to see if I'm pulling a shoot on something during dry fire. I have a dedicated frame I use for dry-fire with this kit installed. For me, it's close enough.

• 1 month later...

Can't say if it's junk.

Jim

Jman & Kevin C,

I can't figure out how to position the paper. Do I place the paper between the hood and SLIDE or the hood and FRAME? Do I shove the paper with the gun assembled or do I remove the slide and barrel? I assume I cut the paper to the width of the hood, but how thick is the paper? I feel like an idiot but I can't figure it out.

Thanx in advance!

Flashooter, the piece of folded paper/card stock will be slipped in where the breechface and the rear of the barrel hood contact each other. This keeps the action slightly out of battery so the striker spring is compressed when the trigger is pulled but the striker will not be released. I've found that using a thin piece of plastic, like the material the clasp for a loaf of bread is made of, works well. Just size one so it fits into the breechface and you're in business.

RH

Flashooter, the piece of folded paper/card stock will be slipped in where the breechface and the rear of the barrel hood contact each other. This keeps the action slightly out of battery so the striker spring is compressed when the trigger is pulled but the striker will not be released. I've found that using a thin piece of plastic, like the material the clasp for a loaf of bread is made of, works well. Just size one so it fits into the breechface and you're in business.

RH

RangeHooligan, thanx for your detailed description, explanation and tip about the bread clasp! Even a caveman like me can understand it. I will definitely give this a try.

Thanx for your help!! :cheers:

I use it and like it. It doesn't have the striker-break feeling to it but the pull weight is heavy enough for me to see if I'm pulling a shoot on something during dry fire. I have a dedicated frame I use for dry-fire with this kit installed. For me, it's close enough.

JGG-- is the kit any better than using the cardboard trick? I thought there was going to be something close to a striker-break.

I just figured another alternative to the cardboard / credit card / breadloaf tag tip -- drop a snap cap directly through the chamber into the barrel, then slowly ride the slide closed. The extractor's claw will come to rest on the cap and the slide will remain out of battery.

• 2 weeks later...

JGG-- is the kit any better than using the cardboard trick? I thought there was going to be something close to a striker-break.

I've never used the cardboard trick so I can't give you a comparison. There is something that is out but it costs hundreds of $$$. It's one of the glock laser training pistols with the resetting trigger. Very much like the glock trigger. But they are not cheap. I forgot what they are called. Someone had it at the range and I tried it out. This model came with 2 lasers ... one green and one red. The red laser shows where your gun is aiming. When you squeeze the trigger, the green one snaps on and shows you where the shot broke. Seemed very nice if you can afford it.

• 6 months later...

Has anyone run the SWSA Glock dry fire kit?

Does it replicate the Glock trigger or is it junk?

Also, are there other reset kits and are they any good?

I know this post is old but somebody has to have tried this by now. Anybody else have anything to say about these kits? Dillon Precision is selling them now. Do they feel like a real Glock trigger?