Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I took a break....

Victor_R

....from shooting and dry firing. It feels like its been months and mentally I feel rusty but that break made me notice what I was doing wrong. I would dry fire every day and shoot 5 matches a month but due to fam, work and funds I had to stop. Well I'm back to dry firing and when I was practicing my reloads I noticed my palm wasn't staying in contact with the gun which was causing me to fumble my reloads. Its something I never noticed. I guess that break was needed.

Edited by Victor R

Victor,

I had to take a couple breaks this summer as well, and coming back each time actually made me more aware of my mechanics more than when I was shooting regularly. My breaks were work induced, and they were about two to three weeks each time. Not shooting for a while made me appreciate coming back to it even more.

-Evans

• 3 months later...

I picked up a gun for the first time since Texas State Limited 2010 and shot a local match this past weekend. I was relaxed and shot a good match. Sometimes you just need a break.

P.S. The money I saved from not going to 7 or 8 major matches in a year payed for a two week trip to Europe with the Family in December.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't been going long enough to require a break yet but my buddy is on one now with his gun at the smith and he says the same thing as you... So I guess this means more breaks :cheers:

Edited by joebob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on an injury-induced break at the moment.

I think I'm going to look at the list of priorities, and bump a few up the list for the next few weeks while I heal up. For example, I'm going to take the time I normally allocate for dry fire and use it to add in more cardio and strength training. I'm also going to add in some visualizations here and there.

I figure, when I finally get back behind the pistol, if I'm a few pounds lighter and stronger mentally and physically that I'll be all the better off for it.

• 4 months later...