Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help me choose a multipurpose shotgun

stre-tch

Hello to all

New guy with a few questions

After reading many posts about shotguns for 3 gun I hope this question is a little different due to the requirements or lack there of :)

I am looking for advice as to making the all around shotgun that will work for clay pigeons, bird hunting (upland and waterfowl), and 3 gun (Don’t really care about the division I compete in because I will really be trying to beat my own personal times and working on my technique and I just love to shoot ).

Resources $1000.00 max

Here is what I have been thinking (one of the following)

Opinions

Pump 870 with a 24”chopped vented barrel with hi-viz (fiber optic) style sites, oversized safety, side saddle cartridge holder, extended magazine, barrel clamp, aftermarket IM or M chokes – possibly money left over (If there is money left over send it to a 870 gunsmith similar to Benny (if you know someone please let me know) to do some magic)

Winchester SX2 26” barrel hi-viz sites, oversized safety, aftermarket charging handle, side saddle cartridge holder, extended magazine, barrel clamp, welded shell lifter/carrier – might run out of money before modifications are done

Winchester SX3 26” barrel – out of money

So what do you think I should do?

Thanks for the help

Winchester SX2 26 barrel hi-viz sites, oversized safety, aftermarket charging handle, side saddle cartridge holder, extended magazine, barrel clamp, welded shell lifter/carrier might run out of money before modifications are done

This is the option I would choose given your criteria.

Edited by jtischauser

i like a 26" or 28" preferably for upland bird hunting and a shorter low 20ish barrel for 3gun. of the optione you listed, id live with the longer barrel for 3gun and get the one that would satisfy 2 of the 3 needs and go with option 2. Interchangeable barrels would be nice, but not sure if you can pull it off with the money you have allocated.

Which of the 3 (clay, hunting, 3gun) will you do the most? get the gun that will suit that the BEST and then live whatever limitations you have in the other disciplines.

I'd go for a semi-auto.

They shoot softer and have a faster follow-up shot on a bird (clay or feathered).

Not really sure on the difference between the SX2 and SX3, but I'd go with the one that's financially accessible to you when it's all tricked out.

What about an 1100 or 11-87?

Or pick up a used 870 or even 11-87, and a second barrel of the appropriate length, plus sights, charging handle etc. Even with a easyloader, sites, a second barrel (one of clays/hunting, a shorter one for 3gun), and a mag extension you should be in your budget.

I went with the Win SX2 26", I believe Cabela's still has them for $650.00. Currently Cabela's has $100.00 off for $500.00 purchase at stores. Added the Nordic system +5 and HiViz sight. Very happy with set up. Good Luck.

My 26" Benelli M2 started out as my upland/waterfowl gun. When I started shooting 3-gun it got a few add-ons (nordic-comp tube and shell holders). When I bird hunt, the competition gear comes off.

I have yet to shoot a match and bird hunt in the same day, but it would only take about 5 mins to switch it out to be Fish and Game legal. Its nice to be able to shoot the same gun for everything. Helps justify the cost as well.

I think for your budget you would be better off with a 1100. The availability of parts and cost of parts would allow you to have a barrel set up for each sport you want and be within your budget. Just remember you have to keep a 1100 clean and oiled. If you take care of it, it will take care of you. The 870 would also work but for this sport unless you are gonna shoot Heavy Metal, I would go with the semi auto.

Stre-tch,

If you would want to consider an 1100 PM me. I have a 1100 for sale that is set up for limited class 3 gun and with it a second 1100 all new less receiver all for $600.00 plus shipping which would be about $60.00 to your FFL. This gets you a 3 gun shotgun that you can swap vented rib barrels and remove the magazine extension for bird hunting plus all the other spare parts. Both barrels use rem-chokes and a few rem-chokes come with this deal. I also have some other spares that go with this deal, gas O-rings and interceptor latch springs and easy-loader roll-pins.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thank You,

Jeff

I did the same thought process you did, But wanted woods duck hunting, deer, turkey hunting and general ranch blasting added to the mix, I think the Remington Tac 4 1100 is the best all around package out of the box ever, 22" vent rib barrel that excepts choke tubes, drilled and tapped receiver, 8+1 capacity, fiber optic front bead, black subdued finish, runs on cheap Remington #8's and heavy buckshot.Pretty much an all around do everything shotgun.

Wow thanks for the responses

It sounds like the SX2 is the way to go.

Just a few questions for you guys.

Other than the receiver and the forend, (functionally speaking) how much is different between the SX2 and SX3?

A few have recomended the Remington 1100 and I understood it (probably wrong) the main problem with them is the gas ring? and how do they stack up to the SX2?

Also with a Gas semiauto shotgun would I need to send it off to anyone to have it tuned up (Like I read about many people sending benellis (sp?) to Benny Hill)?

Thanks again

A few have recomended the Remington 1100 and I understood it (probably wrong) the main problem with them is the gas ring? and how do they stack up to the SX2?

Also with a Gas semiauto shotgun would I need to send it off to anyone to have it tuned up (Like I read about many people sending benellis (sp?) to Benny Hill)?

Well, about all you've got to do is replace the o-ring every so often. You'll hear different round-count intervals on when to change it. Maybe change the piston assembly every year or so too.

Neither are super expensive. O-rings, about $1.60 a piece. Piston assembly about $20.

As far as comparing to an SX2, you'd pretty much have to shoot both yourself.

I wouldn't say you'd need to send it off. But you could. And it couldn't hurt.

But if it ran flawlessly through a couple cases, I wouldn't bother.

Maybe enlarge the gas port a smidge, but that's about it.

If I'm confident in my equipment, and I like how it looks/shoots I'm going to leave it alone.

As in my earlier post, the main problem with the 1100 is most people don't maintain them. I have been shooting my 1100 in 3 gun since 2001. No problems at all. I clean and lube the gas system after every match and replace the o ring as needed. It hasn't failed me yet. And still for your request of multiple use, again Remington will blow you away with the availability and price of stocks, barrels, chokes, sights, etc. If it was just for 3 gun I would tell you the SX/FNLP or Benneli. But since you want to shoot clays, waterfowl, and 3 gun you will need to swap barrels, tubes, chokes, etc for those needs and for your price requirement of 1k I don't think you will find it in any other brand.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm facing the same questions in looking for a shotgun. How well does it work to use a 26" barrel for 3-gun? Should I save for a better 26" auto for hunting and competition? Or should I go less expensive on the gun but buy an extra shorter barrel for competition?

I am trying to move in to an auto rather than my 870 which I have been using to try out the sport.

Eric

I'm facing the same questions in looking for a shotgun. How well does it work to use a 26" barrel for 3-gun?

gives you a lot of options, IMO. you're not giving up much to the shorter guns, because there just isnt much "house clearing" stages or really tight movement in damn near all 3gunning, at least not it most of the big matches. more barrel tends to lend itself to more tube length. Most every match you go to will be "load to division capacity before the start signal, after signal you are free to load to gun capacity". Sometimes this is a plus. True, you can add a long tube to a short barrel, but dont let the 26" number slow you down thinking it isnt suitable for these games.

i run a 24" benelli now, but immediately prior i used a 26" winchester sx3.

Winchester SX2 26" barrel hi-viz sites, oversized safety, aftermarket charging handle, side saddle cartridge holder, extended magazine, barrel clamp, welded shell lifter/carrier – might run out of money before modifications are done

The SX2 gets my vote of the options. Add a Nordic tube and clamp, find some sights, and weld up the carrier... done. You don't "need" the other stuff unless you have the funds after the other stuff is done.

If you are already willing to spend the money on this SX2, then don't bother with a 1100/1187 and the worry about having to keep it clean to keep it running. The SX2 is a better "all round gun" then the 1100/1187 in my mind for what you said you were planning on using it for.

26" barrel is not a problem at most competitive shooting (3-gun or clays) and will not be a problem with hunting.

Edited by TruePunisher