Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New FTE issue

Jeff686

I just started having this FTE failure last weekend. At first we thought it was brass hitting the Cmore mount. As you can see, I replaced the Cmore with an Aimpoint.

It happens about once every 100 or so.

After returning home, I removed, inspected, and cleaned the extractor and ejector. Everything looks normal, but I'm not an expert.

The extractor has about 10k rounds on it.

Should I just replace it? Any other thoughts?

post-985-061500200 1286902666_thumb.jpg

I just started having this FTE failure last weekend. At first we thought it was brass hitting the Cmore mount. As you can see, I replaced the Cmore with an Aimpoint.

It happens about once every 100 or so.

After returning home, I removed, inspected, and cleaned the extractor and ejector. Everything looks normal, but I'm not an expert.

The extractor has about 10k rounds on it.

Should I just replace it? Any other thoughts?

post-985-061500200 1286902666_thumb.jpg

Replace the extractor spring....

JT

Jeff686, I'm not a auto type guy. The first thing I would look at something slowing the slide down, thumb, borderline loads and such. Extraction looks fine, do you have a extended ejector? Sorry not much help, I can tell you about the extractor on the other guns though. late rdd

JThompson is spot on..... That FTE example is a classic representation of what happens when the extractor spring is too weak. Replace the extractor spring and your FTE's should be resolved. Its also good practice to replace the extractor spring proactively every 10K rounds.

I went to Sears and got a couple sets of punches for a decent price. 1 set of standard punches and 1 set of roll pin punches. They look like they are nice and have been working great..

Edited by Nealio

• 1 month later...

So I got the new extractor spring installed. It was considerably stronger than the used one that came out.

However, I still had some FTE issues at the last steel match, same as the photo above. I found that I was loading a little light (only 160ish PF), but that shouldn't be a problem. Running Henning's 12.5lb spring.

Here are some pics of my ejector. Does it look OK?

post-985-019419300 1290322892_thumb.jpg

Today (cold, icy conditions) was turning out to be a bad day for this jam. Two in the first stage.

I remembered that BE sells multiple viscosities of Slide Glide. I went over to the safety area, wiped off the Slide Glide, and lubed with CLP.

Darn thing ran like a top the rest of the day!

Today (cold, icy conditions) was turning out to be a bad day for this jam. Two in the first stage.

I remembered that BE sells multiple viscosities of Slide Glide. I went over to the safety area, wiped off the Slide Glide, and lubed with CLP.

In cold weather and a lightly sprung gun I use Gun Butter. ;) A lot of people use Mobile 1 for cold weather too.

JT

In cold weather and a lightly sprung gun I use Gun Butter. ;) A lot of people use Mobile 1 for cold weather too.

JT

on a different note everytime I see your avatar I laugh. love the second one. :roflol:

• 2 weeks later...

When we were shooting with the open p9's in the early 90's we never ran recoil springs that high. Most common for us were 9 and 10 lb. and we were loading to 180pf (minimum major was 175)

My guess is that for a Steel match load you should drop down in spring.

When we were shooting with the open p9's in the early 90's we never ran recoil springs that high. Most common for us were 9 and 10 lb. and we were loading to 180pf (minimum major was 175)

My guess is that for a Steel match load you should drop down in spring.

+1,...I am running a 10lb in my stock 2 9mm,..and put a 11 lb in my .40 Open shooting 180gr at 177pf. I had a heavier recoil spring in it, (about 12lb) and had a few FTE. I find the tans run better with lighter recoil springs. Yup,..and on open I only lightly lube and always with slide glide lite. (even in the summer)