Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being prepared...

PaulW

I see it every match around here.  You have a good c or b class shooter who has the potential of breaking into the next class but does not do the little things well.  What I mean is he gets flustered if his game plan has to change at all (i.e. extra reload, gun jam).  Or the worst, think you magazine is full when you start a stage.  I always empty my magazines after a stage and relaod them before I shoot the next stage.  That way I know how many rounds I have in each magazine.  The loudest noise in the world is that click when the gun is empty.  Another good one is a speed shoot where they have their magazines so full it makes them difficult to seat.  They only neede 6 rounds and it was virginia count.  But by god they loaded that mag up to 20 rounds anyways.  I can only imagine what all is going throw some of their minds before they shoot.

Oh yes, but you have to be very careful when trying to help someone.  Many ego's get hurt when you try and help.  I was lucky that I started shooting IPSC with one of the the top GM's in the country.  I also shot with many Master shooters who were also friends and knew they could critisize me on anything.  Sure the ego got hurt, but I quickly learned to let that go.

Fortunately I never get offended when someone tries to give me pointers at a match. I have to two basic reactions: gratitude or amusement.

If someone who is genuinely a better shooter than myself wants to share the fruits of their hard-won experience, I'd have to be a fool not to appreciate it. Then my reaction is to look attentive, smile and nod a lot. I say, "Thanks," then go home and think hard about what they've said. I can't say I always adopt the advice of my betters, but it certainly gets thought about, probably dry fired and tried on the range multiple times, and many times incorporated into my technique.

The amusement part comes when there's some marginal shooter whose butt you've just absolutely kicked, and after, or even during the match they want to tell you how to shoot. It's like I came in 2nd, they came in 27th out of 28, and after the match they go, "You know, I think you'd be able to shoot better if you used the Weaver stance. I find it controls recoil better." I'm always polite because I know they mean well, but you have no idea how tempting sometimes it is to say, "Yeaaaahhh, I could shoot like you instead of me, then I could be back in 27th place instead of 2nd. Good idea!"

I try to ask question every time I finish a stage.  If it wasn't for all the time I sat around talking to Pat about how to get better I'd still be stuck trying to run a field course like I was a chicken without a head.  I still have a long was to go, but with a lot of help both on and of the range, my times have moved up 15-20% and rising.

As my momma always says "There's no stupid questions, only stupid people"

Usually the next time they ask (there's always a next time isn't there?) I give a completely bogus answer and see if I can suck them in to a discussion about it. If I'm faking it as I go, it get really funny to think what's going through the other guys mind!

Pat

I try to learn from everyone, even shooters who don't shoot as well as I do. In a related post, Pat told me not to discount the B and C class shooters. What I am discovering is that a lot of very experienced shooters have the knowledge base and some good suggestions as to technique,  but they lack the physical or mental ability to carry out what they know to be the "way".

What really burns my butt is when the better shooters watch me screw up and develop bad habits because they feel it inappropriate to offer unsolicited input. If I am ever shooting with one of you guys and if you think of something that might help, please offer...

Brian's example of learning from someone not generally considered to be your equal is a good one.

Several years ago I heard and adopted this philosophy - "The most expensive thing you will ever own is a closed mind."

• 2 months later...

advice is a tough subject, especially when many shooters have fragile ego's.

i know i am almost always thankful for advice given by peers, and by those better than me, however, i do sometimes get irritated at a D class shooter ( i am only a C class shooter, but don't get to shoot many classifiers) and unclassified shooters who are clearly as green as they come who try to pass along poor advice.