Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Junior Shooter Age?

Hello All!

Interesting question about junior shooters and 3gun here! A friend contacted me and says that his son has fallen in love with 3Gun Nation and wants to get involved, however, he is five! He is a very unique young man who is wise beyond five trips around the sun due to the fact that he is already beat cancer! This does not necessarily make him mentally and/or emotionally ready to compete in a match.

My research on Enos turns up lots of results concerning USPSA and IPSC, both with varied answers, situations and ages (and one "official" USPSA response). So, my question is this, what are the youngest ages you have seen juniors shoot 3gun? I have shot with a 13 year-old with dad very close by, but that is the youngest in my experience.

Thoughts? Guidance to specific match rules? Etc.?

Cheers,

Kyle

Kyle,

My youngest son (Kyle) shot his first 3-gun match shortly after he turned 11 (with me ROing him). Candidly, that was probably a year too early. At the time he lacked the upper body strength to handle the shotgun throughout a 20+ course of fire (he ended up resting the shotgun on top of a barrel toward the end of the COF). He kept everything safe, but didn't really enjoy the experience because he had trouble hitting with the pistol and the shotgun was beating him up pretty hard. He came back out when he was 12 and did much better - amazing what a difference a year can make at that age.

I think "when" a junior is ready for 3-gun depends on each kid's physical abilities, shooting prowess, ability to handle stress, and most importantly - attention to safety and maturity level.

My biggest concern (aside from safety) with putting anyone into a 3-gun match is that he/she is apt to become frustrated unless they have the requisite skill to perform with each gun. I shot a local 3-gun match earlier this summer where a young guy (college age) brought his GF to shoot the match. She had virtually no shooting experience and a 3-gun match was just too much for her to handle - she quit mid-way through the second stage and we haven't seen her since. I think most people (especially kids) would be well-served to shoot some single gun matches before they dive into 3-gun.

Kyle,

My youngest son (Kyle) shot his first 3-gun match shortly after he turned 11 (with me ROing him). Candidly, that was probably a year too early. At the time he lacked the upper body strength to handle the shotgun throughout a 20+ course of fire (he ended up resting the shotgun on top of a barrel toward the end of the COF). He kept everything safe, but didn't really enjoy the experience because he had trouble hitting with the pistol and the shotgun was beating him up pretty hard. He came back out when he was 12 and did much better - amazing what a difference a year can make at that age.

I think "when" a junior is ready for 3-gun depends on each kid's physical abilities, shooting prowess, ability to handle stress, and most importantly - attention to safety and maturity level.

My biggest concern (aside from safety) with putting anyone into a 3-gun match is that he/she is apt to become frustrated unless they have the requisite skill to perform with each gun. I shot a local 3-gun match earlier this summer where a young guy (college age) brought his GF to shoot the match. She had virtually no shooting experience and a 3-gun match was just too much for her to handle - she quit mid-way through the second stage and we haven't seen her since. I think most people (especially kids) would be well-served to shoot some single gun matches before they dive into 3-gun.

Super! I agree with what you are saying about "readiness." I am still wondering if there are any rulings out there. More curiosity than anything else.

There are definitely more "kid friendly" venues in several of the rimfire type matches. I can't wait to get my daughters involved with the Ruger matches or Steel Challenge.

Side Bar - It has been tons of fun to watch both Kyle and Luke develop their 3Gun skills during the last two years. Those in our circle are lucky to have two juniors to watch on a regular basis. They are a gift! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Kyle

Edited by DocMcG

A few years ago I shot a Nationals with a 9 year old on my squad. He did fine and we were all glad to have him. While he was prone to sit and play in the dirt a bit between stages, that was only a problem for his dad.

He has since matured and is an outstanding young shooter. I might add that when we shot together at that Nationals while he did not DQ, his dad did. LOL

It would seem to me that it is easier for a junior to be safe with a long gun as opposed to a pistol. The bottom line is that whether a junior is ready for a match depends on that individual junior.

I built a dedicated .22 ar for my son for his 5th birthday. I made it as light as possible and he still had trouble shooting it offhand. He does fine with it off a bipod though. Get the kid shooting ASAP, set up some targets and let him move arround a bit, even. But I think its gonna be a while before he can shoot 3gun. However, I know at most club matches I've shot we would welcome a young person, as long as they were safe, and would probably let them shoot say a 28ga shotgun or a .22lr ar if they need too.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no official answer from USPSA, at least as far as I know. I don't think we want to say "X" age is okay to shoot. There is such a variance at the rates kids mature. The question really comes down to the parent and determining what age to introduce the kid to various sports. Keeping in mind that lack of physical stregth is going to play a part in whether they succeed or get discouraged. My plan, for now, is to introduce Steel Challenge first, followed by Ruger Rimfire Series, and then move on to the centerfire sports. For SC I already have the basic gun, and will be ordering a Tac Sol barrel for it in the color of her choice when she's ready to start (she's 3, I've got a little time). I also have a very light Ruger 10/22 she can use when Ruger Rimfire comes to town. At the last Ruger Rimfire Series match we held we had a 6 and 7 year old competing. The 6 year old was still too little to hold up the very light rifle for the courses. I'm sure next year he'll be ready to rock though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree that "it depends". I think you can "ruin" a person by starting too soon, or with too much pressure, in anything. I have a 6 and 9 year old. Both have shot rimfire pistols and rifles, but not yet in a competition. They both love to go to the range and shoot. I am considering letting the oldest one shoot in rimfire SC next year. Ruger Rimfire Challenge does not have a close match here yet, but we might travel to one if he enjoys SC. Some matches are also more "beginer freindly". Blue Ridge, Iron Man and Rocky Mountain are not good matches to start anyone who is brand new. With a few good local matches and maybe one or two larger matches under their belt, I would beleive that a safety conscious 13 to 15 year old could tackle any 3 gun match if they are really motivated and have the upper body strength for the shotgun.

• 4 years later...

For what its worth I started shooting NRA highpower when I was 14. I started with an M14. When I shot standing, by front foot lifted off the ground. I am always encouraged when I see young shooters at the range and in my attempt to give back, I have helped several get into shooting. Quite a bit depends on the youth in question in terms of physical and mental abilities. Nothing is more discouraging then getting sent home for unsafe conduct and there is zero room for "He's a new shooter / junior / senior" when it comes to safety; we must treat everyone the same.

I would have to say that 13-14 is about the right age provided the shooter can handle the guns. With some coordination, the junior and a RO can stay behind as the last shooters on the stage and shoot at own pace with coaching etc. I have seen this done and it can and does work well so that everything flows along and the junior still gets to shoot and no one is waiting etc.