Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 DVD

I just purchased a fully loaded XL 650 as an upgrade to my SDB. I don't have a ton of reloading experience and am looking for opinions on the Dillon Instructional DVD and/or other recommended DVDs such as the one from Brian Enos.

Is the Dillon video worth having? Thanks!

I had no experience reloading and started with XL650. I was scared i would mess up the press so i thought about buying the DVD, i was told not to, and later i found out why, read and understand the instruction manual and you should be fine. youtube is a great help as well.

BUT if you have extra dough and can afford it why not. its a lot easier since it is visual. but still, read the manual.

If you understand how your SDB works and the different stations yopu'll have no problem. I just recieved mine today and had most of it set up inside a hour. The rest seems staright foreward in the instruction manual. I have watched the video, it's OK, but really until you see everything moving up close does it make sense.

Thanks for the feedback. I actually lucked out. I was at my FFL's house last night and we were talking about the 650. As it turns out, he had a copy of the old VHS version and offered to let me borrow it. Now I'll just have to hookup one of the VCRs that is tucked away. :cheers:

Thanks for the feedback. I actually lucked out. I was at my FFL's house last night and we were talking about the 650. As it turns out, he had a copy of the old VHS version and offered to let me borrow it. Now I'll just have to hookup one of the VCRs that is tucked away. :cheers:

In the FYI department, there have been a few changes made to the press since that VHS tape was made - the new DVDs are quite different. So Ignore anything in the Powder Measure / Die area that doesn't look like the current system. Also in the FYI department, when customers ask me about that DVD when placing a 650 order, I tell them I don't recommend it if they are currently reloading on any type of press. But if they have never reloaded, then I recommend it.

be

In the FYI department, there have been a few changes made to the press since that VHS tape was made - the new DVDs are quite different. So Ignore anything in the Powder Measure / Die area that doesn't look like the current system. Also in the FYI department, when customers ask me about that DVD when placing a 650 order, I tell them I don't recommend it if they are currently reloading on any type of press. But if they have never reloaded, then I recommend it.

be

I just bought my XL650 and this is exactly what was recommended to me. I've been reading and watching videos on the XL650 for about 6 months now. I purchased the DVD and it has helped a lot, it really helped me understand setting it up and how to start making rounds.

I got the Dillon DVD for my 1050, and it was really great. Not only did it show each step, but if you watched, you would see how the ram should be positioned for different set-up operations. Wish they had keyed those things in better, but at least I picked up a couple of solutions to problems I was having.

I think for what they charge for a press, a DVD should be included. Alternatively, they should do like Hornady and Lee and post some videos on their site.

Buy the DVD, watch it a couple of times, take some notes in your manual about what you see on the screen, and then go set-up your press and have fun.

• 3 years later...