Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lightening

EricW

I'd like to start shaving down my Capsian slide (for various reasons). Is it possible to knock off the rear cocking serrations back to the rear of the slide without affecting the extractor? By my calculations, the serrations are about .025" deep and I have about .050 of metal between the outside of the slide and the extractor hole. Is .025" left over sufficient?

I'm betting that doing any lightening around the ejection port is a no-no. Any other "danger" areas?

Depending on HOW light you want to go, there are many areas where weight can be taken off safely.................. I am quite confident that Mr. Hill is aware of ALL of them............ Hell, he probably pioneered some of them.

I am sensitive as to WHERE the weight is taken off the slide as to how it effects the "feel" of the gun to me. Think it through carefully BEFORE removing metal!!

Good luck,

Jeffro

Dan Ruff removed the serration on my Caspian slide without issue.

Dan did the same to my Caspian top end for my limited Para. Perfect for a couple pieces of grip tape, which is more secure for me than the serrations for racking the slide.

Dan did the same to my Caspian top end for my limited Para. Perfect for a couple pieces of grip tape, which is more secure for me than the serrations for racking the slide.

Exactamundo.

Since I have paddle safeties, I put grip tape ahead of my ejection port to grab to rack my slide (I'm not hip to grabbing the muzzle of a loaded gun). No comparison in ease of use. I'll never go back.

Safely hand-cycling with front serrations: with thumb and index finger of weak hand, make a U shape; from underneath the dust cover, grasp front cocking serrations by pinching slide with above fingers

I hate seeing people load and unload with their palm and wrist over the ejection port.

There are plenty of meat to take off the slide.

You can do it on both side, especially in the front, the recoil spring plug housing, on the top of the slide, on the back, you can flat top itand so on...

On my last project, I cut an inch off the regular slide and took off 45 grammes (sorry, you'll had to convert :( I can't retrieve my software to do it)

Safely hand-cycling with front serrations: with thumb and index finger of weak hand, make a U shape; from underneath the dust cover, grasp front cocking serrations by pinching slide with above fingers

I hate seeing people load and unload with their palm and wrist over the ejection port.

I'm hip. My only point is that with the grip tape, my hand gets nowhere near the muzzle. I'm always on the underside of the gun - never over. For whatever reason the grip tape is 10X more secure.

It happened to me once :(

My left thumb still has a little scar and I kept the case and the bullet to always remind it.

Now, all of my guns have a squared ejector, don't care about where the cases go as long as it has no sharp edges able to fire the primer.

It's kind of disturbing :wacko:

from underneath the dust cover, grasp front cocking serrations by pinching slide with above fingers

Am I the only one who physically can't do this with more than about a 7# recoil spring?

I couldn't do it w/o the skateboard tape. Hence the skateboard tape.