Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo weight ?

11 pounds is alot closer to 400 rounds not 250., weigh some of your loads, 7000 grs to the pound, when the airline asks just say, "just under 11lbs."

If it is thrown in with your luggage and shooting gear, and the bag is under 50 lbs.. they are never going to ask about the weight of the ammo.

Now.. the giant hotspot in the center of your bag when the scan it will cause some attention and it will be searched.. in detail, right down to the ammo boxes being opened up.

You would think a TSA agent never saw a 12 round saiga mag before. :blink:

Ask me how I know. :devil:

• 2 weeks later...

both times i did fly with a gun, i did get asked to see the ammo(how it was packaged) and weighed....11 pounds is all you get....tho i did manage to getthem to say they 'thought'(no one could confirm for sure) 11 lbs per bag was ok...so i started to mix an match ammo within my bagsto make weight....

I believe 11 Pounds is the magic number. But check with your airline. 11 Pounds equates to a bout 250 rounds of .40. Not sure on the 38.

It depends on the Airline. Alaska Airlines is very good and allows 50 pounds. However Delta only allows 11 pounds. Those are the two Airlines and I am the most familiar with.

Pat

The 11lbs is an airline regulation, not FAA/TSA. Every time I've flown with ammo, they've never weighted it.

It is a IATA (International Air Transport Association) regulation.

Other than the entire bag I have never had ammo weighed separately or been asked about quantity.

That only applies to international flights. I had a really bad experience flying back from last years Larue Match. I was returning with about half of the ammo I flew down with. I had about 20 pounds or so left. Alaska Airlines allows 50 pounds. But I had to go to the Delta gate in Houston to fly out since they did not have an Alaska Airlines gate. TSA held my bags up. I asked to see their supervisor who refused to speak to me. I showed the ticket agent Alaska Airlines rules on my friends I phone and they ignored me. It was not until about 5 minutes left to board that they let me and my bags get through. My friends and I had to run to our gate. Everything showed up. TSA never did admit they were wrong. From now on I am going to fly with a hard copy of the airlines rules and put them inside my bag next to the ammo. Now I will just pray the TSA agents doing the inspection will be able to read.

Pat

Edited by Alaskapopo