Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder River trigger kit

cali shot doc

I have the old Match Trigger kit in my XDm 9.

I ordered the Ultimate Match kit for my XDm 40. I got it last thursday but they forgot to include the sear. As soon as I get my sear, I'll post a review of how it compares to the old kit.

I got the sear in the mail today. All I can say is, "holy crap.". This trigger kit is amazing. Having the overtravel stop built into the trigger just makes way too much sense and offers a more deliberate stop than the previous.

The sear makes the most dramatic improvement though.

This kit is a vast improvement over the previous kit. I've shot all other trigger kits for the xdm and this is hands down the best out there.

Edited by d_striker

I got the sear in the mail today. All I can say is, "holy crap.". This trigger kit is amazing. Having the overtravel stop built into the trigger just makes way too much sense and offers a more deliberate stop than the previous.

The sear makes the most dramatic improvement though.

This kit is a vast improvement over the previous kit. I've shot all other trigger kits for the xdm and this is hands down the best out there.

I can't wait to get mine in the mail!!!! I thought it was going to come today but it better come tomorrow because I'm going to go crazy lol.

Who did you order the Kit from,Powder River?

Gary

I ordered the Match kit from Powder River. I liked the adjustments they made to the kit and after watching their youtube videos on installing it and how it worked i thought it would be the best fit for me.

I didn't buy the pin punch kit b/c i thought I could save a few $ by going to sears or home depot but neither had what I needed so i went To Springer's and got their pin punch b/c i wanted the extended mag release and PRP was all out. Kind of wished I got the pin punch kit from PRP because I like the round knob at the end to hold on to. Springers doesn't have that but oh well. Got my extended mag release and pin punch set yesterday and took me 5 min to open the package and install it. Very easy. Praying that I get the trigger kit today because i'm going crazy lol. I want to install it and test it out so bad !!!!! :roflol:

Gary

I ordered the Match kit from Powder River. I liked the adjustments they made to the kit and after watching their youtube videos on installing it and how it worked i thought it would be the best fit for me.

I didn't buy the pin punch kit b/c i thought I could save a few $ by going to sears or home depot but neither had what I needed so i went To Springer's and got their pin punch b/c i wanted the extended mag release and PRP was all out. Kind of wished I got the pin punch kit from PRP because I like the round knob at the end to hold on to. Springers doesn't have that but oh well. Got my extended mag release and pin punch set yesterday and took me 5 min to open the package and install it. Very easy. Praying that I get the trigger kit today because i'm going crazy lol. I want to install it and test it out so bad !!!!! :roflol:

Did you get the Ultimate Easy Fit kit or the Ultimate Match kit?

The sear makes a HUGE difference in the overall performance. IMO it's not worth getting the kit w/o the sear.

If you were to just get the safety lever, springs, and trigger, you would have to remove a substantial amount of the overtravel stop that's integrated into the trigger in order to get the OEM sear to release the striker. This means that if you ever wanted to upgrade to the improved PRP sear, you would have extra overtravel.

Also, you save $20 by getting the Ultimate Match Kit from the start as opposed to paying $110 for the easy fit kit and $55 for the sear later.

Edited by d_striker

Gary

Did you get the Ultimate Easy Fit kit or the Ultimate Match kit?

The sear makes a HUGE difference in the overall performance. IMO it's not worth getting the kit w/o the sear.

If you were to just get the safety lever, springs, and trigger, you would have to remove a substantial amount of the overtravel stop that's integrated into the trigger in order to get the OEM sear to release the striker. This means that if you ever wanted to upgrade to the improved PRP sear, you would have extra overtravel.

Also, you save $20 by getting the Ultimate Match Kit from the start as opposed to paying $110 for the easy fit kit and $55 for the sear later.

I got the ultimate match kit. Just got it today and just got done installing it. Wasn't easy but wasn't hard. Had a little issue with the safety lever and trigger. Got it in but for some reason if i fire it with my weak hand, it wont fire but when i transfer it to my strong it does. So not exactly sure whats going on when i have the safeties and trigger fully pressed. Also i tried pulling the trigger when pushing the slide down like he shows you in the youtube video and mine wont fire but when i release the pressure it does. I'm not sure if there is something i have to fit for that. He doesn't say on instructions or anything. Thinking i might try a few shots tonight

Could be that you don't have enough material removed from one side of the overtravel stop. If you don't remove enough, the sear can't release the striker. Look in the open slot below the striker status indicator while pulling the trigger. You can see the sear release the striker when the trigger is pulled.

I had to file quite a bit from the back of sear so the grip safety would engage. But other than that, everything went in fine.

Can you link the video you referenced.

I found it. I just watched it and mine doesn't fire when I press down on the frame either.

This means that I need to remove more from the overtravel stop. I think I'm going to hold off and see if it actualy causes any malfunctions while shooting. The overall trigger travel is so short and crisp, I don't want to mess with it.

This is my play gun, not a home defense gun.

just got back from shooting 100 rounds and i'm not to crazy about the trigger surface. It hurt to pull the trigger. I'm not sure if it's the safety in the trigger or the trigger itself but when he returns my call i'm going to ask him if there is some fix to this. Maybe I can sand it down or he has another type of trigger that is closer to the stock trigger cause that one doesn't hurt my trigger finger at all.

I dry fire so much that the tip and side of my trigger finger are calloused.

Sorry you're not liking it. I love mine.

I will gladly trade you my old prp match kit for your new one. Then you can use your old trigger. Hell, I'll even throw in a stock trigger for you.

I will gladly trade you my old prp match kit for your new one. Then you can use your old trigger. Hell, I'll even throw in a stock trigger for you.

Got to shoot it so more today and I like it. I realized it was more the 125g rounds that was causing my finger to hurt. I shot some 115g rounds and not a problem. I'm still having issues with it not firing when i push the slide down or rest it on a gun rest so I emailed him and hopefully hear from him tomorrow for this fix. Nice trigger though

Got to shoot it so more today and I like it. I realized it was more the 125g rounds that was causing my finger to hurt. I shot some 115g rounds and not a problem. I'm still having issues with it not firing when i push the slide down or rest it on a gun rest so I emailed him and hopefully hear from him tomorrow for this fix. Nice trigger though

Your problem is due to the over travel stop. You need to file more off of it.

I'm surprised that you're not getting any light primer strikes.

Thanks. Daniel just left me a message while i was in class and said that is what I need to do. As soon as I get home i'm going to fix it and hope it works lol. Sure it will. Might call him back just to make sure and say thanks.

Just got done and now it works flawlessly

Edited by cali shot doc

just got back from shooting 100 rounds and i'm not to crazy about the trigger surface. It hurt to pull the trigger. I'm not sure if it's the safety in the trigger or the trigger itself but when he returns my call i'm going to ask him if there is some fix to this. Maybe I can sand it down or he has another type of trigger that is closer to the stock trigger cause that one doesn't hurt my trigger finger at all.

I think that what you are feeling is the sharp edge in the slot for the trigger safety. I can see how this could be uncomfortable.

Like I said earlier, my finger is pretty calloused, but I can definitely feel that sharp edge and see how it can be annoying.

Just take some sandpaper to the inside edges where the trigger safety resides. Take the trigger out and depress the trigger safety by the back end, so it's flush with the trigger surface, and take that edge off.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

What did you mean "I'm surprised that you're not getting any light primer strikes."? I just recently started experiencing that, and did not connect it to me installing the new PRP trigger kit. now that you mentioned it, it started happening just around the time when i installed the trigger. Is something I did causing it not to strike the primer properly? I just ordered a new xtra power spring from Springer Precision because i thought the spring wore out.

ANyway, another question for you guys - is this legal in production? because an RO told me it was not due to the bulge at the back of the trigger, which is not visible in the stock trigger.

Thanks

Hi,

What did you mean "I'm surprised that you're not getting any light primer strikes."? I just recently started experiencing that, and did not connect it to me installing the new PRP trigger kit. now that you mentioned it, it started happening just around the time when i installed the trigger. Is something I did causing it not to strike the primer properly? I just ordered a new xtra power spring from Springer Precision because i thought the spring wore out.

ANyway, another question for you guys - is this legal in production? because an RO told me it was not due to the bulge at the back of the trigger, which is not visible in the stock trigger.

Thanks

When you pull the trigger, the safety lever pivots upwards. You can see this if you take off the slide of your gun. Take off the slide and rotate the slide release lever back down so that you are able to pull the trigger. You'll see that as you pull the trigger, the safety lever that you installed pivots upwards. That little arm on the safety lever is what disengages the striker safety which is located on the slide. Refer to the slide. Look at the spot where the safety lever would contact if it were attached. That button on the inside that travels up and down is the striker safety.

The problem with removing all of the overtravel is that it limits the amount of travel in the safety lever. If the striker safety is not depressed all the way up, the striker will hit the striker safety and won't allow striker to travel its full distance and strike the primer which is what causes the light primer strikes.

The striker safety is one of the safety features built into the XD. It's designed to prevent the gun from firing in the instance that the striker is somehow released by any means other than pulling the trigger. Some people refer to it as a "drop safety" for the possibility of the striker being released from dropping the gun, although it would be unlikely for the striker to be released in this manner. It would have to be more of a football spike in just the right spot for the striker to release.

The striker safety may be removed thus eliminating the problem. I have been told that you are not allowed to remove the striker safety under Production rules.

Under "Specifically prohibited modification and features" it states:

"•Disabling of any external safety or externally operated safety."

The striker safety is not an external safety though, so I'm not sure if you are allowed to remove it or not for Production. I run my XDm in Limited and have been told that this is a legal modification for Limited.

I'm not aware of whether the new PRP trigger itself is legal for Production. I would like to know as well as I planned to eventually shoot Production in the future.

Edited by d_striker

Removing any safeties is not legal for Production and it isn't wise to remove the firing pin safety block on the XD/m's. A short and light trigger pull can be obtained with all safeties intact by the right gunsmith.

If the trigger is the one I've seen with the bump on the back it's a Springfield OEM part from what I understand made by PRP.

Rich

Edited by RIIID

thanks guys, i shaved off more of the overtravel hump and it works great even on a cold gun and in weak hand too. previously, when it got really cold, it wouldnt fire, so i just took more off.

About the legality of the PRP trigger with the hump in USPSA production class- i emailed PRP, and he said that "hump trigger" is actually an OEM part on the following model numbers:

xdm-1931

xd-9131

xdm-9121

xd-9121

I also emailed Springfield to verify and they concurred - it is correct. They even said that their website doesnt show the hump trigger because they took those photos prior to using the hump trigger in their guns, and didnt bother to update the site.

This means that this sweet-shooting trigger is legal. WOOHOO!! I am going to print the springfield email and put it in my range bag, just in case some evil RO's give me problems next year

thanks guys, i shaved off more of the overtravel hump and it works great even on a cold gun and in weak hand too. previously, when it got really cold, it wouldnt fire, so i just took more off.

About the legality of the PRP trigger with the hump in USPSA production class- i emailed PRP, and he said that "hump trigger" is actually an OEM part on the following model numbers:

xdm-1931

xd-9131

xdm-9121

xd-9121

I also emailed Springfield to verify and they concurred - it is correct. They even said that their website doesnt show the hump trigger because they took those photos prior to using the hump trigger in their guns, and didnt bother to update the site.

This means that this sweet-shooting trigger is legal. WOOHOO!! I am going to print the springfield email and put it in my range bag, just in case some evil RO's give me problems next year

That's interesting that you had problems when the gun was cold. This was my experience as well. It started acting up at the first cold match of the year when it was around 40 degrees.

I posted about it in Post #6 my Range Diary. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=114512

• 1 month later...

Is the new trigger plastic? Looking at the kit I can't tell.

Yes, it is. I had the older match kit installed and recently replaced the factory trigger and PRP old-style OT stop with the new trigger. It's plastic but very well made. I only had to remove a small amount of material from the overtravel stop on the back of the new trigger to fit it (I'm using the factory sear).