Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you bother cleaning your barrels?.

lugnut

I guess I'm cleaning too much...i've been tearing the Open Gun down once a week and give it the works. You know..sinse they cost an arm and a leg. :ph34r:

My Glocks, I never cleaned them... go figure. I think i've cleaned my G19 once in 3 years lol :goof:

• 7 months later...

I don't miss cleaning the barrels on my pistols. I stopped a few years back when I switched to shooting Glocks primarily and found I don't need to do it with any of my pistols.

I just started shooting my ar-15 a lot more. Kind of curious to see what kind of cleaning these things need.

I normay first find a safe place to dump any thing in the barrel out. And thin I will start with some water and put some sand in it and swish it around. after that I dump the water out on the ground and look in the hole thin screw the cap back on the barrel or decide if I should cut the top off to use as trash can

With jacketed bullets, I never cleaned anything but the chamber on any of my competition pistols.

be

I'm with BE, when I first started shooting I would clean pistol barrels after every session, then I wised up and started doing it this way too.

Rifle barrels do get some brushing. Cannot remember the last time I cleaned a shotgun barrel though ;)

Step 1 --- Windex on a patch, 2 passes (new patch each pass)

Step 2 --- Hoppes #9 on a patch, 2 passes (new patch each pass)

Step 3 --- Patch wet with oil, 1 pass

Step 4 --- Dry patch, 1 pass

Been doin' this for 30+ years. If you shoot jacketed bullets in a quality barrel, this is about all you need.

I don't ever see the need for a brush if shooting quality bullets in quality barrels.

Edited by Roadrider18

I normally clean everything but the barrels after every session of training/match. I run a bore snake a few time through all my guns barrels at the beginning of the month that I've used that previous month. It may be a military thing, but I can't stand the thought of knowing something isn't cleaned thoroughly. :P

Edited by KTKlaus

• 3 months later...

I have been shooting lead for years (15k+ rounds) without cleaning the barrel and never had a problem. I have a Schumann AET .45 and Will told me to only clean the chamber. He is a pretty smart guy , so I think I will keep on doing what he recommends.