Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

d_striker

d_striker

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished Lanny Basham's book earlier this morning. From here on out, I'm going to use this thread as a performance journal for equipment, training, and performance analysis rather than using it as a shooting diary.

Yo. You are onto something now! I purchased his Journal and then moved onto doing it here. the format was...

1. Details about the match. Weather, range conditions, what match, what range...

2. What I did well today.

3. What I learned.

4. List goals.

Notice how there no, "I screwed this up" section? Identifying areas of improvement I would put under what I learned, but it's not about identifying screw ups or hashing them over.

This is from memory so maybe I'm missing something, but fit all that into your journal and you'll find that you are having more fun than ever, and the feedback will be constructive from yourself and from others.

Yeah, you pretty much summarized all the key points from that chapter. CHA-LEE told me about this book a couple years ago but what you told me resonated with where I was at mentally at that moment.

Thanks again.

I just picked up my backup SP01 Shadow Target. I got it configured exactly the same as the first one. In hindsight, I wish I would have gotten a .090" wide front sight on both rather than the .100". The rear sight notch is a little narrower than I thought it would be. Maybe I'll change it down the road, maybe not.

Accuracy seems as good, if not better than my other one. It's tough to tell as I only shot about 200 rounds indoors at 10 yards. I can't really see a 2" circle well enough to keep my front sight on much beyond 10 yards indoors.

I'm going to start tuning this sucker up to run an 8.5lb main spring...Hammer strut seems good but we'll see what it looks like up close. I'll take out the firing pin and polish up the bearing surface. Retouch up the sides of the hammer to make it look like glass and it should be good to go. While I have everything out, I'll tune the mag release spring a bit. I've got thin safeties and an extra power Perman spring that I need to slap on, and this thing should be ready to rock.

I asked CHA-LEE if he shoots his backup gun regularly and he said that he just shoots it to prove reliability and function and then puts it away. Since I only have 3k rounds on Shadow #1, I'm not sure which one I'll make my primary. I really like where #1 is at with the trigger pull and it seems like it's running well.

There are 5 club matches that I plan on attending before Area 3. I plan to shoot this gun at all of these matches to make sure it's running flawlessly before A3.

Edited by d_striker

Pics of the new blaster are needed............. :ph34r:

It looks exactly like the fist one...

But I'll post a pic side by side once it's all tuned up. Off to the garage. Wife still thinks I'm crazy.

I recall you saying a few months ago that you didn't want to spend the funds right now to get a 2011 blaster and get into limited??

Those are sweet man and they almost make me want to shoot production....almost. But for now I just need to figure out how to load 9 major so I have something to feed my new blaster next week

I recall you saying a few months ago that you didn't want to spend the funds right now to get a 2011 blaster and get into limited??

Those are sweet man and they almost make me want to shoot production....almost. But for now I just need to figure out how to load 9 major so I have something to feed my new blaster next week

I'm sticking around in Production until I accomplish my goals in the division.

As far as not wanting to spend money.....CZ's are worse than black rifle disease.

I want to finish in the Top 16 at Nationals within the next few years. It's a lofty goal but if I put in the time, I think it is attainable.

Edited by d_striker

Finishing top 16 at the nationals requires full "Boss Mode" engagement through the whole match. Is it possible? Yes. Will it be easy? No.

Yeah, it's almost one of those goals that I was going to keep to myself. But whatever, it's out there now.

I'm finally in a position, for the fist time in my life, where I have the time and finances to put in the work. Of course, life happens, but I don't foresee my schedule changing for at least two years. I'm planning on opening another brewery but I believe that's about two years out.

It's without a doubt a very lofty goal; especially considering where my skills are at now compared to where to need to be. But I want to set the goal high in order to identify all of the things that need to happen to get to that level. I put together a rough budget for next year and I'm earmarking finances to shoot at least 5 major matches on the road, 25k rounds, and training. I'm also in the position where I can dedicate more time to regular physical training again.

I need to get a membership at an outdoor range where I can practice practical pistol skills. For the past few months, I've just been going to the south site with 4 target stands and a few metal targets.

If I don't accomplish this goal by the 2018 Nationals, it wasn't because I didn't put in the effort. It will be because I simply don't have what it takes to shoot at that level. I want to make a dedicated effort towards it though and have fun along the way.

Edited by d_striker

Solid goal for sure, I wasn't trying to pry with the question and hope I didn't.

Saying that publicly definitely self imposes some additional accountability that can be a great thing in achieving your goals if you are willing to commit to the process.

Most people want to achieve something or get to some level in a sport and soon lose motivation because they focus on the outcome and achievement and do not accept or embrace the process.

As chalee told me, embrace the suck until you get through it

Shadow 2 is tuned up for functionality and trigger goodness. The trigger is on it's way to being REALLY good. I want to put a couple thousand rounds through before I consider it fully broken in.

Accuracy on both Shadows is good but noticed something compared to my 5.25 while doing some drills outside. The extra sight radius on the 5.25 has an advantage when the sights are slightly misaligned. In other words, misalignment of the sights with a shorter sight radius translates into more severe deviation from intended POI.

When I was intentionally misaligning the sights on the Shadow both for windage and elevation, POI was further off than I expected at only 10 yards. I know that this is one of the advantages of a longer sight radius, but I was surprised at how much of a difference it makes. Guess that means the next CZ is going to be an LS-P once it's time for a new gun.

Edited by d_striker

Run and gun practice today with Shadow #2. Round count total on it is 800 rounds now. Prior to today's 200 rounds, there was a slight creep at the start of SA. After 200 rounds, it's gone. DA a little smoother but not as good as Shadow #1. No malfunctions and brass extraction looked good after extractor tuning. Going to shoot Shadow #1 as primary. Shadow #2 cleaned and boxed up.

Focus for today was to let go and flow. I simply wanted to let go and see the sights in the A zone without TRYING.

Good practice stage with transitions to small steel plates and also wide transitions. It was good live fire reinforcement on 180 transition practice from dry fire. Continue to dry fire wide transitions by bringing gun in and driving out while making the wide swing so gun is traveling in as straight of a line as possible from point a to point b. Also good reinforcement on setting up with a wider stance and using legs to transition through a wide array.

Edited by d_striker

Had a lot of fun shooting the indoor match tonight. Had one mike on the classifier from looking off the target. CHA-LEE told me something very interesting about looking off the target. He told me that your gun will usually go in the opposite direction of where your head moves. Sure enough, I looked off the target to the right and I missed left.

I'm still being impatient especially when something doesn't go right. I think that my errors are becoming less severe but whether I miss my grip or don't nail a reload like I want to, I still feel like I'm behind schedule and become impatient. I need to be patient while letting go.

I felt like my gun did something weird a couple of times tonight but am not completely sure. It felt like my hammer followed down to half cock on a couple shots. I'm not certain, so I'll go shoot at the indoor range tomorrow and see if it happens. It's weird as I didn't really touch the sear or hammer hooks while tuning it up. I polished the sear face with a felt wheel but didn't really remove any material; especially near the edge that engages the hammer hooks. The only part of the hammer I touched up was the sides of the hammer. Nothing near the hooks.

Edited by d_striker

I took apart Shadow #1 to get a closer look at the hammer hooks and sear. Sure enough, the flat edge above the hammer hooks are starting get rounded. I've got about 3k rounds and a LOT of dry fire on this gun but it seems strange that that area would wear down so quick. I guess that's why DA has gotten so good in this gun.

At first I thought that maybe I didn't have enough over travel set and that the top of the hammer hooks might have been dragging across the edge of the sear when the hammer drops. It doesn't look like this is the case as the sear edge looks pristine.

I forgot the indoor range is closed today near my house so I'll try to recreate the issue tomorrow. I'm 95% certain that I had two shots from half cock in the middle of two different courses of fire last night.

In the picture, you can see where the edge is getting rounded.

7B59C40C-3ECF-492F-9C77-1375988E768B_zps