Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gen 4 glock re: light loads

steelplates1

Has anyone heard of ejection problems with the gen 4 17/19 using light loads? Rumor has it that a light load may not have enough power to eject the shell casing because of the double ejection spring. I was thinking of getting a gen 4 for production but people tell me to look for a gen 3..

Comments?

I have a Glock 17 gen4 that the spring flew into pieces so I found out alot about this. The short answer is call Glock and have them send a new spring or buy an aftermarket spring.

The longer answer is that according to what I have read the Gen 4 9mm for whatever reason used the .40 spring and it was too strong for the lighter 9mm loads.

Jeff

Has anyone heard of ejection problems with the gen 4 17/19 using light loads? Rumor has it that a light load may not have enough power to eject the shell casing because of the double ejection spring. I was thinking of getting a gen 4 for production but people tell me to look for a gen 3..

Comments?

I do not know what you consider light loads as I do not reload but I have fired 8,600 flawless rounds from a G4 G17 using many different factory loads most of which were Federal Champion.

Comments?

Order one from Bill (Jager Products in our Vender Tent), his Gen 4 replacement assembly is excellent.

Call him first and he'll recommend spring weight too.

Jim

I use the Jager guide rod with a 15# ISMI spring, he also offers a 13# ISMI spring.

The longer answer is that according to what I have read the Gen 4 9mm for whatever reason used the .40 spring and it was too strong for the lighter 9mm loads.

This is old information. Yes, originally Glock put the Gen-4 G22 spring in the Gen-4 G17. But it's been months now since they've gone over to a new recoil spring assembly for the Gen-4 G17 (marked "02") that is considerably lighter than the G22 version. In my experience the Gen-4 G17 with new spring assembly cycles just fine with my 130ish power factor match loads.

1st Gen 4 G17 original unmarked spring (like a G22) 4481 rds

2nd Gen 4 G17 original unmarked spring (like a G22) 2300 rds

Gen 4 G19 1800 rds

All this shooting has been 100% stoppage free. 90% of it WWB, Blazer, and Fiocchi and Federal 115 grain FMJ. Don't know how much lighter typical comp reloads are.

I'm one of the unlucky ones who got a Gen4 G17 that will not run light loads reliably. This is both with the original unmarked spring (01 spring?), and the 02 spring Glock sent me as a supposed "fix" for my issues. I get on average 1 stoppage out of every 100 rounds fired with light target ammo, which seems to just barely function the gun for the other 99 rounds, with the empty brass just dribbling out of the gun much of the time. I have now even experienced stoppages with supposed full power ammo that Glock told me to use. However, most of the stoppages have been with Federal Champion ammo from Wal-Mart. This is the lightest 9mm load available from what I can tell. The box says it is a 115gr. FMJ at 1125fps, which is already on the light side since most 115gr. ammo is loaded in the 1150fps to 1180fps range. A friend of mine told me that he chrono'ed some factory loads, and the Federal Champion load only averaged around 1090fps in his G17. That is only about 125PF. He told me the other factory 115gr. loads he tried averaged in the 1150fps to 1175fps range, just like they are supposed to. WWB seems to work fine in my pistol so far, which he said averaged about 1170fps in his G17, but I have only run about 150 rounds of it, so the jury is still out on that ammo. I'll need to run at least a few hundred more through it without any problems before I'll even begin to trust it with WWB. Other ammo I've tried includes 124gr. FMJ loads from Federal American Eagle(1 FTE out of 250 rounds), RWS(1FTE out of 300 rounds), Sellier & Bellot(1 FTE out of 300 rounds), Speer Lawman(no problems, 200 rounds fired), and Winchester NATO "Q4318"(no problems, 100 rounds fired).

I was considering getting a Jager Gen4 guide rod, but then I found some reports where people said the bushing used to hold the guide rod in place in the larger hole of the Gen4 slide is too large and hits the frame causing some damage to the frame. I don't know if it is that big of a deal, but it doesn't sound good. Can anyone add anything to these reports one way or the other?

I'm one of the unlucky ones who got a Gen4 G17 that will not run light loads reliably. This is both with the original unmarked spring (01 spring?), and the 02 spring Glock sent me as a supposed "fix" for my issues. I get on average 1 stoppage out of every 100 rounds fired with light target ammo, which seems to just barely function the gun for the other 99 rounds, with the empty brass just dribbling out of the gun much of the time. I have now even experienced stoppages with supposed full power ammo that Glock told me to use. However, most of the stoppages have been with Federal Champion ammo from Wal-Mart. This is the lightest 9mm load available from what I can tell. The box says it is a 115gr. FMJ at 1125fps, which is already on the light side since most 115gr. ammo is loaded in the 1150fps to 1180fps range. A friend of mine told me that he chrono'ed some factory loads, and the Federal Champion load only averaged around 1090fps in his G17. That is only about 125PF. He told me the other factory 115gr. loads he tried averaged in the 1150fps to 1175fps range, just like they are supposed to. WWB seems to work fine in my pistol so far, which he said averaged about 1170fps in his G17, but I have only run about 150 rounds of it, so the jury is still out on that ammo. I'll need to run at least a few hundred more through it without any problems before I'll even begin to trust it with WWB. Other ammo I've tried includes 124gr. FMJ loads from Federal American Eagle(1 FTE out of 250 rounds), RWS(1FTE out of 300 rounds), Sellier & Bellot(1 FTE out of 300 rounds), Speer Lawman(no problems, 200 rounds fired), and Winchester NATO "Q4318"(no problems, 100 rounds fired).

I was considering getting a Jager Gen4 guide rod, but then I found some reports where people said the bushing used to hold the guide rod in place in the larger hole of the Gen4 slide is too large and hits the frame causing some damage to the frame. I don't know if it is that big of a deal, but it doesn't sound good. Can anyone add anything to these reports one way or the other?

I am running a Jager guide rod as well as his firing pin in my G4 G17 with no issues. Some people complain if they see a tiny rub mark on a working gun that does not have anything to do with function.

The Federal Champion 115gr. load I mentioned in my post is a minor PF load according to my friend's chrono results. If I understand the USPSA rules correctly, you can't go any lighter than 125 PF, and that is what that load achieves. How much lighter were you planning on loading?

And this power factors at....?

Really, factory ammo is not terribly, if at all, more powerful that what we load for in USPSA Production or IDPA. More folks load in the 130ish pf range, certainly no more than 140. In other words, just like factory ball.