Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reload to make 165 PF for USPSA

I've just registered on this forum. This is my first post. I have been reading posts on this forum for the last few days and decided to join hoping for some helpful assistance.

I recently began shooting in August and have shot at 4 different club matches so far. I reload using a Dillon XL 650 reloader and I have only 1 pistol. It is a 1995 Colt Gold Cup National Match Series 80 in .45 ACP in Bright Stainless Steel finish. A few modifications have been done such as a slide stop extension, a thumb saftey extension and a magazine well.

I have never seen or used a chronograph until after the 4th match, where a law enforcement officer had set one up and was testing his ammunition. I watched and eventually asked if he would shoot a couple of rounds of my ammunition through my gun so I would know what my feet per second were on my loads. I was quite surprised to find out I was very much under the minimum power factor! I want to shoot at the 165 power factor to know what my loaded rounds should feel like and get used to shooting properly.

Here is what I have to work with. Extreme brand of 200gr copper plated RN bullets, Winchester 231 or Hodgdon HP-38

powders, Winchester large pistol primers, brass casings are a mixture consisting Remington Peters, Federal, PMC, Winchester, all used from the matches I shot.

I had loaded this 200 gr. plated Round Nose bullet at 4.9 grains of Winchester 231 with a OAL of 1.245, however my Dillon reloader makes these rounds anywhere from 1.240 to 1.250 in lengths.

What do I need to be at powder wise to meet the 165 PF with either W231 or HP-38 and OAL cartridge? Thank you.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

5.4-5.5 gr 231 behind a 200gr SWCL will make ~170PF in my experience. I would setup some test loads starting at 5.2 and work up to 5.6gr in 0.2gr increments. You might find that you need a bit less 231 to make major with plated bullets. Keep in mind that 231 is very temperature sensitive. 165PF at 70-75F will end up at 175+ at 85F and PF will go down at it gets colder.

OAL looks good at the range you quote, set it so the gun feeds reliably.

I suggest you search through the reloading section of the forum for additional info.

Welcome! As pointed out, there's lots of info in the reloading forums, try a search specifically in the .45 subforum.

One other quick point - you probably would be best served by using a PF about 5 points over the threshhold. There's always some variabilty in loads and in chrono's. A bad combination with a load nominally at 165 PF might end up under, in which case you get scored minor. Shooting for a 170 PF gives you a low measurement safety margin.

Thanks to both of you for the welcome. Thank you for the data to start a load. I need to use these powders up before I can look for or try a different brand. It appears that other brand powders are prefered to the 2 I am using presently. Any loading information on a 200 gr. plated RN using Hodgdon HP-38 for making major PF. Thanks again.

Thanks to both of you for the welcome. Thank you for the data to start a load. I need to use these powders up before I can look for or try a different brand. It appears that other brand powders are prefered to the 2 I am using presently. Any loading information on a 200 gr. plated RN using Hodgdon HP-38 for making major PF. Thanks again.

First off, welcome!

Do you have a reloading manual? The reason I ask is that pretty much any manual will have a pile of data for .45acp and Win 231 powder, which is the same thing as HP38. You're not really using two different powders, just two different packages.

In addition to a real manual (or two or three), not just a data book, you can find all sorts of data online including all the Win and Hodgdon data:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

The problem with that is, most folks won't buy the manual, just use the online guides and really have no idea what they're doing. Don't forget you're engineering a small explosion in your hands and it's only two feet from your face :ph34r:

Edited by G-ManBart

+1 on getting a couple of good manuals. then its a matter of experimenting until you get the velocity you need to make PF, and I wil also agree that for shooting major you should look to be at about 170ish or so. With a 200gr bullet, you will want to be in the ballpark of 850fps for velocity. check some manuals for load data and work up the charts slowly until you reach your deisried setting. then load a ton of them and head to the range for plenty of practice!

Welcome to the addiction! :cheers:

If you could get your hands on some 230 GR. Round nosers and some titegroup, thats my Single stack combo. i believe i used the minimum charge of titgroup and that got me about 750-800 FPS (PF is acieved at 713 FPS or so) and its Verrrrry soft shooting. i love it.

+1 on the books and .45 reloading section in this forum. You may also try handloads.com. I've been using 200g LSWC with 5.0 WST, PF between 172-175. Just got some 200g SWC From BBI and will be trying them out soon.

Welcome to the forums :cheers:

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

i have never tried 231 in my 45acp. i do use 231 in my 9mm. i shoot 200gr lswc with 4.3gr of clays with 1.250 oal cci lpp in my 45acp. my chrono says its about 880 fps so about 176 pf. works great in mine.

i have never tried 231 in my 45acp. i do use 231 in my 9mm. i shoot 200gr lswc with 4.3gr of clays with 1.250 oal cci lpp in my 45acp. my chrono says its about 880 fps so about 176 pf. works great in mine.

I load 4.5 of Clays with a 200 gr. LSWC and chrono an average of 900fps.

I myself like titegroup. I load 4.9gr behind a 200gr LSWC coated from bayou bullets or 5.4gr behind a 200gr. plated RN from Powerbond for USPSA major at 168 pf. Titegroup is an uncharacteristic fast powder because it shoots soft with high energy results and is very impervious to case position. I use to shoot 231 with very accurate results but titegroup is softer recoiling and has lower charge weights and just as if not more accurate. I exclusively use titegroup in my 45

I myself like titegroup. I load 4.9gr behind a 200gr LSWC coated from bayou bullets or 5.4gr behind a 200gr. plated RN from Powerbond for USPSA major at 168 pf. Titegroup is an uncharacteristic fast powder because it shoots soft with high energy results and is very impervious to case position. I use to shoot 231 with very accurate results but titegroup is softer recoiling and has lower charge weights and just as if not more accurate. I exclusively use titegroup in my 45

How is the smoke with tite group? I run a Bayou Bullet also with 231 and a few times, looking into the sun on a calm day, I've gotten enough smoke to obscure the target.

I'm thinking about switching powder due to this but I also use the 231 for my .38 special loads so I would have to work up new loads for everything. It may not be worth the trouble, but I am willing to be persuaded.

• 3 months later...

I was at the range today shooting some .38 Spl and .45 loads over the chrony. It was 61 degrees and I set the chrony at 10'. Glock 21

Shooting a 200 gr Berry's Plated Rn FP with 5.4 of W231, I consistently got a PF of 156. I need to and I assume you will need to also bump it up a few grains.

I like W231/HP38 as I can buy an 8lb jug and load 9mm,.38 spl and .45 ACP, the three loads I shoot in IDPA. I have shot Clays before and it is noticeably softer shooting.W231 is not the very best in all cases but it does pretty well in most and I don't have to swap powders all the time.

Keep at it and find your best load. Owning a chrony is almost a must, too.Good Luck!