Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory Vs. Custom - Help Me - A Little Debate

h4444

OK, I've decided, I AM GETTING AN OPEN gun. But, what to get.

I've been thinking and researching and thinking some more, and I wanted to get some input from other guys/gals.

In my heart I WANT a custom,,,but the practical side of my says, what do I NEED.

Will I shoot better overnight if I go with a $4000 gun vs. a $3000 gun vs. a $2000/2500 gun.......I don't think so. Over the last several years I've learned that with reliable and acceptably accurate gear,,,,,it boils mostly down to the guy behind the trigger.

Also, ackowledging the fact that if I need to bail at some point in the future and sell the gun,,,,,where would I lose the most money,,,,a custom vs a factory gun. Well, I'm thinking that with a little less money tied up in the gun up front in a factory I probably wouldn't lose as much down the road.

If I knew the custom would make a big difference in performance, it may be worth it,,,,but I don't think so....

Investment-wise, if I had to get out of the gun,,,,I don't think I could without losin' my butt.

In the end if I go with a factory, I could take the extra money to get mags, pouches, holster, conversion kit for my press,,,,,etc.

I can't help but feel the lure of a custom, but to compete in local club matches and the occasional area match,,,,,is a custom really needed.

Well, that what I'd like to hear from you guys......

edited content here - - - - I've decided I don't want to go with a used gun....either factory new,,,,or custom from my local smith.

Thanks,

h4444

P.S. If I went custom, I would be my local smith,,,,not one of the bigger nationally known guys. My local smith does outstanding work, just doesn't advertise.

One of the big things about "resale value" is the name recogniiton of the vendor. If you gun is build by a well known custom gunsmith or a popular factory, you will have a national market for you gun upon resale, and potential buyers will be able to get an easy "reference point" as to what the gun goes for new.

I won't mention names, since I'd forget some great gunsmith and spend the rest of the afternoon posting apologies, but if you go through Front Sight you will see a number of ads from smiths everyone knows, most (maybe all) of which have a reputation for great quality and service. Ditto for the factories which cater to our spot.

There are gunsmiths out there who are every bit the equal of the "big names" in terms of quality and service. The limitation of buying a gun from such a smith is that the name will be recognized only in the local market - with a big name, you'll be able to market the used gun to a national audience which will recognize it for what it is. (After all, used comp gun aren't likley to be snapped up on consignment sale at the local shop).

If you want to get an idea for the liquidity of a used gun, follow the classified ads on the members page at www.uspsa.org - wait for used guns to come up, note the price, and see how long it takes for the ad to either disappear or have "sold" added to it.

What Rob says is valid.

But, since I'm in the middle of having my new Open gun built by a local smith, I'll provide some counterpoint.

There *are* some advantages to having a *quality* local smith build you a custom gun:

1) You have a better chance of getting exactly what you want.

2) It *may* cost less. On my last Open gun, I basically said "build me one that is just like [this one in the major name-brand ad], and it cost me about 20% less than the advertised price. The new Open gun will be similar.

3) Having a local smith means personal service, usually close enough to visit (or meet at the range) That can be *priceless*, compared with having to ship a gun cross-country and describe sporadic problems in email or over the phone.

4) And, just my personal preference, but I like to support the local 'smith - I would hate to see him (and all those like him) and his skills disappear from the planet and be replaced by factory "custom shops" - so, if everything else is equal, the tie-breaker goes to the local guy.

As far as resale value, yes, there is arguably a value to being able to say your gun was built by XXXX or YYYYY. But, you can mitigate that. First, if your local smith does good quality work, his name will be recognized throughout your local area, and if you need to sell your gun that may be the most likely place to find a buyer - people who have already seen the gun and know the smith. I have sold guns locally, and have never "needed" to advertise one nationally to find a buyer.

Also, you can mitigate it by keeping the custom design somewhat conservative. If you go "really custom" and build a gun that is in some small corner of the design spectrum, it may be difficult to find a buyer. But, if you keep the design within the mainstream, it will suit the needs of a broader spectrum of potential buyers.

Bottom line, for me, is that I have had several guns built by my local smith, here in Western Washington, and I could not be happier. Quality, performance, price, and service have been absolutely outstanding. And, there is something really special about shooting a gun that was made "just for you".

Hope that helps.

Bruce

I've personally never worried about the resale value on a gun since I tend to keep them to until they are so old they're not worth selling [ anyone got a grand to spare for a single stack 38 super on a cracked frame with a tasco scope or perhaps you would prefer a single stack 45 caliber open division gun with an eggholed slide stop hole ? :) ]

I've seen amazing work from the local gunsmith here in MA. It's common for a smith to rebarrel a comp gun. What's not common is seeing one do it without having to trim the comp or slide to keep a perfect slide to comp fit - the smith told me it was all a matter of starting the threads on the barrel in the right place. My first super was built by this same local smith 10+ years ago, and it was every bit as good as those offered by the "big names" at the time ... and, I could visit my gun as it was "in progress".

I'd suggest another factor in you shopping: How likley is it that you will be wanting to sell your gun used? If it's within a couple of years, considerations of residual value are probably important. If you plan to shoot the gun until it's either worn out or obsolte, such concerns are a distraction in your purchasing decision.

I drive my cars until they have 150K+ miles, so I don't get that excited when the Honda salesman tells me about "better resale value" than American cars.

"Custom" doesn't necessarily mean you will get out of it what you have in. I have had several custom guns by Triangle and Brazos and have always took a significant loss on the resale. The STI competitors for $2300 are just as good as a custom (IMHO) The ONLY thing they need is an AFTEC and slide racker, which is a minimal expense compared to $3000 + for a custom.

Buy a Competitor, spend the extra on Mags and accessories and you will be AS competitive as the guys with the custom. Guaranteed.

Heh-heh-heh

One of the things I really liked about my 'smith when I first started talking to him was when I asked about putting on a slide racker.

He got a screwed-up look on his face, and said "well, I guess I could put a racker on it for you. Or, I could just build it so it runs, and you won't need a racker. Your choice".

I haven't had - or needed - a slide racker ever since.

ymmv ;-)

Bruce

I would say unless you know exactly what you want and it is not offered on a factory gun, get a factory gun. I would recomend getting an STI Competitor from Dave Dawson @ Dawson Precision, have him tune and set the trigger pull at the weight you want. Shoot it for a while. I think you'll find that you will be happy and not out a ton of $'s.

My only exception to this would be if Benny Hill @ Trianlge Shooting Sports can build you one for the same $'s. He is very good and the work he has done for me was 100% .

All very good points,,,,,keep 'em coming!!!!

Either way I'd be going through the same guy....custom or factory because he does superb work, stands behind his work, and if need be will go to the mat for his customers with vendors.......

On both fronts his pricees are very good.

H4444

There are other benefits of a custom gun. The trigger job, the fit to your hand and you can make substitutions. You might not know yet what options are important but, a good builder will spend time and guide you through the process. They can advise you on what has worked for them in the past based on there own feedback and other shooters.

I get several STI competators in each year. After doing a trigger job, recut feed ramp & polish, tune ejector & extractor, lighten slide & comp for speed & flat shooting , it usually costs about $350.00. For that added to the org. cost you can get a custom one built right the first time.

My first STI was a factory Lexor that the previous owner had to have basically *everything* re-done to it to make it work. Even if it's under warranty this isn't a small consideration. Shipping charges can run $40+. The cost of second-rate workmanship adds up in a hurry.

My new-to-me gun is a used Benny custom job. I know which gun ran out of the box.

I get several STI competators in each year. After doing a trigger job, recut feed ramp & polish, tune ejector & extractor, lighten slide & comp for speed & flat shooting , it usually costs about $350.00. For that added to the org. cost you can get a custom one built right the first time.

Yup - what Benny said. David and I REALLY looked into this before we purchased our first Open gun... we actually, literally, complete priced a factory gun with mods and custom built gun.

Guess what... they were less than $100 different! Buy the custom gun - you will get what you want and that is ALWAYS worth the price!

Thanks for the responses.......

I'm going custom.... :D

My local smith is getting the job. I'm very much looking forward to the gun......now to figure out how to get to the top of the list. <_<

I'll post pics once she's done....