Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to USPSA

gorilladiver

Open questions to ALL

Just started shooting USPA at local gun club, this year. Using Glock 21. The question is if YOU were starting out New now in your life.

1) What gun, caliber, would you buy?

2) Is one brass caliber harder then another to buy for reloading? Supply and demand 9mm easier than 40 or 38super

It really depends on what divisions you want to shoot. If I were starting out today, I'd buy a .40 caliber XDM (or Glock or S&W M&P Pro) because it is a caliber that would let you shoot Production (you could make some really soft shooting minor loads if you reload) or Limited 10 with the same gun. That caliber would also work perfectly for Single Stack and Limited with a different gun.

Depends on what division you want to shoot. I'm a college student who can't afford much so I shoot Production. I shoot a Springfield XD9 Tactical (9mm).

In Production, everything is scored as minor so shooting a 45 auto isn't very ideal since everyone else will be shooting 9mm or 40 s&w with the reduced recoil compared to a 45 auto. Your also limited to 10rds in a mag. You can't do many upgrades compared to open so there's another reason for the more economical shooter like myself.

In Limited and Limited 10 there is a minor and major scoring factor. Here its better to have a 40 S&W or 45 auto so you can make the major power factor and get scored as major. Only main difference between Limited and Lim 10 is that in Lim 10 your limited to 10 rds a mag.

In open, these are your "Space"/"High Tech" looking guns. You can basically build your gun however you want and put any goodies you want on it.

1) What gun, caliber, would you buy?

I have a 9mm and love it but I would recommend a 40 S&W. Most people like glocks but I'm a Springfield Guy so I would recommend the XD40 Tactical or XDm 40. 40 S&W are very customizable. You can tailor them to make minor factor for production and tailor them for Limited/Lim10 and make Major. Find a gun that fits you well. One that you can control the recoil, acquire targets fast, and reach the controls easily.

2) Is one brass caliber harder then another to buy for reloading? Supply and demand 9mm easier than 40 or 38super

I don't think one is harder than the other in terms of supplies. Mainly price wise depending on what kind of load you want to produce. Hopefully you have already started saving your brass if you are shooting now :D If not start saving!!!!!!

If you reload take XD Niner's advice. If not I would suggest picking up a Glock or M&P in 9mm and shooting production. Production is the cheapest division to get started and shoot competitively in. You will learn many great lessons about stage planning and accuracy. Reloading .40 is going to be less expensive than reloading .45

CAZ

I started out shooting production and am still shooting production but thinking of making a run at Limited-10 with my Ruger SR9(9mm). I love the Ruger because it doesn't matter if it's reloads that you loaded yourself or dirty Wolf ammunition it will feed, fire, and eject it all with no problems. I have 10,000 rounds through my carry gun(old competition gun) and about 1000 through the new SR9 I bought and every round fired without any problems, burps, or hiccups whatsoever. Also the Ruger is very versatile to shoot as far as grip size. My girlfriend and my niece and nephew who all have small tiny hands can shoot it very accurately. Also the Ruger is very close to the Glock in many aspects so there are options as to customizing it. Like in November I'm planning on putting a Ghost trigger and a Hi-Viz fiber optic front sight on it. I really enjoy this gun and for the money you can't beat it. I haven't started reloading yet, don't have the room, but someday I will and I have plenty of brass to start. In the meantime I'm shooting 115gr FMJ WWB out of it with no problems.

SR9Shooter

Open questions to ALLJust started shooting USPA at local gun club, this year. Using Glock 21. The question is if YOU were starting out New now in your life. 1) What gun, caliber, would you buy? 2) Is one brass caliber harder then another to buy for reloading? Supply and demand 9mm easier than 40 or 38super

1 I may be the wrong guy for this question (I have/do competed with 9, 38super,357 sig, 40, 10mm, 44special, and 45) but for this sport starting out get any gun you like and find a division it fits in and go shoot and have fun. once you are into it a little while you may know what division you want to compete in and that will help you choose a gun and caliber. Just remember that spending more on you gun won't make you a better shooter, that come from practice.

2 this depends on where you are and what the local police departments shoot around here they mostly shoot 40 so once fired 40 is the most available and very cheep.

as for why L-10 not limited with the G21 capacity with the G21 in 45 with extended mags you are only going to get 16 or so rounds in them you could make that work in Limited but would be a a disadvantage against the 20-21 round mags common there.

Mike

Im gonna agree to shoot what you have in L10 for now. Wait until you play the game for a little while before you buy anything else. Im a big Springfield fan. I have been shooting an XDM in 40 in Production division for the last year and am going to put a magwell on it and shoot Limited next year. If you do go buy a new gun now, I also agree that .40 is the way to go if you reload and if not get a 9mm. Have fun!!!

A couple of way more knowledgeable shooters on this site have siad this in the past, so I will take the opporutnity to pass on whit I read on this site. Take the gun you have and shoot the snot out of it. Don't worry about getting another gun until you reach the point that your gun is keeping you from advancing your skills. Shoot you Glock 21 unti; it is worn out, then rebuild it and shoot it some more. During this time you will improve, and maybe you will have a better idea of what division you would most like to shoot in and what pistol you like the best. Most pistol shoot way better that the operators are capable of. I stated out in Limited just because teh friend that got me started shoots Limited. He shoots a tricked out STI and I shoot a Glock. right now, even if I had teh trickest equipment in the world, I can't hang with him. But man, it is fun trying. Shoot!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all who answered my post!

Picked up a STI 40 cal 4 tuned mags. and 1 factory, from a man in the club who wants to go to open.

He is happy I am happy.

My G21 is a great gun, but was sending too much time on grip adjustment, 1st shoot placement was off, adjusted and placement was better, more than one RO pointed that out to me.

Thanks

post-26580-054664400 1286675843_thumb.jp