Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

O.K. XL650 is on the way, what now?

I was initially going to purchase a Hornady LNL Progressive/auto-indexer and in reviewing the videos on Youtube arrived at a question: Do you have to clean the XL650 parts prior to assembly like it shows to do with the Hornady LNL? I don't have a problem doing that, I was just curious since there doesn't seem to be much info concerning set-up of the XL650.

glynnm45

I was initially going to purchase a Hornady LNL Progressive/auto-indexer and in reviewing the videos on Youtube arrived at a question: Do you have to clean the XL650 parts prior to assembly like it shows to do with the Hornady LNL? I don't have a problem doing that, I was just curious since there doesn't seem to be much info concerning set-up of the XL650.

glynnm45

I received one last week. There was no need to clean all of the parts prior to assembly/use.

I second the DVD recommendation. I watched mine after I set mine up and loaded 100 rounds. It would have saved me a few minutes and I learned a couple of tips.

glynnm45

Bolt the press to a sturdy bench, wipe a bit of oil on the main ram and start loading.

Pat

Slide Glide works better on the ram cylinder than any type of oil IMHO. Also, check the XL Tips thread in the Dillon reloading sub-forum. It has a host of information that you won't find anywhere else. You're going to love your 650! :cheers:

Edited by XD Niner

I use Mobil 1 on the piston. Buy some compressed air canisters from your local office supply store. Buy enough primer tubes to handle a case of primers at once. If your going to change powder loads often take a look at the Uniquetek powder bar micrometer. Lastly, start saving for Redding comp dies.

Alright; I got a chance to get the Dillon setup this evening. :cheers: I got everything out of the boxes and started to assemble the strong mount. Got that bolted on to the press(650) and then bolted the press to the bench. Next was the Bullet tray. I mounted the tray to the bracket and then attempted to afix the bracket to the strong mount; it didn't matter which way I tried to mount the bracket, the holes WOULDN'T align. :angry: I have come to the conclusion that the "strong mount" brackets shipped aren't the correct brackets. On the box the brackets came in was "mount rollers" and the SKU 22052. None of that stuff means anything to me but I guess I will ask Brian about it later. At any rate, I unbolted the press from the bench and put it back in the box. I wll have to wait for a response tomorrow, and then wait for either an explanation or replacement brackets. Doesn't do alot for my anxiety level to wait however.

Alright; I got a chance to get the Dillon setup this evening. :cheers: I got everything out of the boxes and started to assemble the strong mount. Got that bolted on to the press(650) and then bolted the press to the bench. Next was the Bullet tray. I mounted the tray to the bracket and then attempted to afix the bracket to the strong mount; it didn't matter which way I tried to mount the bracket, the holes WOULDN'T align. :angry: I have come to the conclusion that the "strong mount" brackets shipped aren't the correct brackets. On the box the brackets came in was "mount rollers" and the SKU 22052. None of that stuff means anything to me but I guess I will ask Brian about it later. At any rate, I unbolted the press from the bench and put it back in the box. I wll have to wait for a response tomorrow, and then wait for either an explanation or replacement brackets. Doesn't do alot for my anxiety level to wait however.

On a 550, the bullet tray just slides over a holder...... ;)

Just yanking yer chain a bit....and I'm jealous...... :P

this is how it aligned on mine.

SU1HMDAwOTgtMjAxMDA5MjctMTkyMS5qcGc.jpg

Picture is indeed worth a thousand words, thanks so much. Seems simple when you can see it, but it is a bit humbling. I have to quit my day job; up a 5:30AM and home at 5:00PM. That includes a 45 min drive both ways, guess I'm a little tired. Probably should wait until this weekend to make another go at it. I do, however, have 2000 pieces of brass on the way, so I have to get r going real soon. :cheers:

i wouldn't wait until the weekend :roflol: it is only Monday :cheers: load tonight and shoot it tomorrow after work. :devil:

EDIT: sorry i have to edit it, i take it as your first time reloading, take your time setting up your press. it would take half a day to set it up (if you are meticulous). DVD is a great tool, but I personally think that the manual is good enough. read it first before setting up your toolhead i would say.

Edited by Torogi

Well, after the picture, and info from Brian, the bullet tray fits perfectly. The press is permanently mounted on my bench and I could have loaded with it tonight, but decided to wait until this weekend. After attaching the Casefeeder and turning it on, I thought it was broken. Its super quiet without brass clanging around inside the hopper, what a releif. I will post a picture of the completed project in a few days. Thanks everyone for your help, this is going to be a teriffic loader; its extremely well built and exceptionally smooth(I ran a few cases through her tonight).

Enjoy your new reloader! Take your time to set-up your dies, install one die at a time. Dont lock the die ring yet, lock it with loaded shell plate. Again, load very slowly, learn what each station does and MAKE SURE your handle goes all the up or down, if not that means it is one INCOMPLETE cycle.

and eye protection at all times!

You'll find there is a learning curve with the 650 (or any reloader for that matter.) The technique you use to cycle the handle is a key to a successful operation. If you encounter problems just come back to the folks on this forum or the outstanding Dillon techs. You'll work through any speed bumps and soon be reloading high quality rounds at a break neck speed.

Edited by XD Niner