Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which scope has the most forgiving eye relief?

carbon9

I am trying to finalize my decision on which 1/1.1-4x/6x scope to purchase and will probably eventually end up with two different ones from this list. I have used the search function and read all that I can on the subject but want input from individuals who have compared varying scopes on this list, not just used one or bought one of them. I am interested in finding out which scope has the most forgiving eye relief(I think that is the term) for shooting from odd positions and angles. Light weight and daylight visible illumination are nice but not ultra critical. Same with hold over markings and true 1x vs 1.1x. Price is not an issue as I will save for what I decide upon. With practice I can learn to shoot any of the reticles.

US Optics w/Lund Reticle - From just reading too much, this is my favorite reticle so far. From reading between the lines it probably is not BRIGHT daylight visible illuminated(not a deal breaker), true 1x(thumbs up)and is probably the heaviest and supposedly has very good glass.

Trijicon Accupoint TR24-3 German Reticle with Amber Dot - Lightest in weight, true 1x, no batteries, no holdover markings. Decent but not great glass from what I have read.

Swavorski Z6i 1-6x24 w/BRT-I Reticle - Decent weight, true 1x and 6x(not sure if that's a good thing), good illumination, great glass.

Schmidt and Bender 1.1–4 x 24 Zenith Short Dot LE - Good illumination. If you prefer a different model S&B Short Dot please let me know why? Which reticle as well, please.

Zeiss Victory Varipoint 1.1-4x - Great glass, good weight, not sure about bright daylight illumination, probably very good. Great glass and I am semi-intrigued by the FFP reticle and SFP red dot. Reticle preferences, please and why?

Meopta "NEW" K-dot - not interested in the old/current model. The new one seems to have dropped off the face of the earth since the 2010 SHOT Show reports. No ETA as far as I can find. Weight? Illumination? Glass Quality?

All of these scopes seem to be great scopes and very user friendly, once again, my main concern is which one has the most forgiving eye relief for shooting from off positions. Thank you everybody.

Edited by fleshoid

I've owned or used everything you list except the US Optics I tried didn't have a Lund reticle. I have several Zeiss scopes but not a 1.1-4x.

If you want a reticle for hold overs (essential IMO)...this eliminates the Zeiss, Trijicon, Meopta, and S&B that you listed (flash dot reticles only).

You are left with the US Optics and Swarovski.

I like the Swarovski the best. Simple but very effective reticle, bright illumination, wide FOV.

The US Optics scope I used had really finicky eye relief. I wasn't a fan.

Edited by boomfab

For those like me that can't afford $1,000 for a 3 gun scope but still want a 1-4 zoom theres this inexpensive scope with 4.5" eye relief:

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-1-4x32-Banner-Dusk-Dawn-Shotgun-Scope-P4735.aspx

I've used it and so far I am happy with it. But I think my mounts were about as much as the scope............

Jeff

edited because i can't type either...............

Edited by jmurch

kellyn, I think you meant when.....lol. Would you please tell me more of your likes and dislikes concerning your Leupold and what you find the difference to be, aside from the obvious .4 extra :rolleyes: , between a 1.1 and a 1.5? Is there much of a difference in close target acquisition or do you use irons for close range? I know practice, practice and practice will help or is it also a case of what some individuals eyes and minds are capable of with a greater then 1x image? Should I open up my options from 1x-1.5x? I don't mind a more difficult learning curve to end up with more overall ultimate control.

kellyn, I think you meant when.....lol. Would you please tell me more of your likes and dislikes concerning your Leupold and what you find the difference to be, aside from the obvious .4 extra :rolleyes: , between a 1.1 and a 1.5? Is there much of a difference in close target acquisition or do you use irons for close range? I know practice, practice and practice will help or is it also a case of what some individuals eyes and minds are capable of with a greater then 1x image? Should I open up my options from 1x-1.5x? I don't mind a more difficult learning curve to end up with more overall ultimate control.

As you can tell by the myriad of threads on these topics that shooters want to tend to focus on the hardware when it is really the software that wins. Of course, shooters don't have millions of dollars and want to get good equipment up front which is another reason we endlessly debate these topics.

Ideally a true 1X is better than a 1.25X or 1.5X but it does not really come out that way in the wash. I can't say I have faster times shooting close range courses with red dots and true 1X than I do shooting a 1.5. Team Leupold does pretty well with 1.5-5X scopes which are much less costly than the Euro and U.S. Optics scopes that you are thinking about as are the Trij TR21s. I really like the 1.5-5X MR/T with the CMR reticle. Of course, we now probably will all be shooting 1.1-8X CQBSSs, not exactly cheap.

I don't use side irons for close targets. I tried them but don't care for them. I probably would if I was running an 3.5X ACOG which I have trouble shooting quickly up close. Speaking of ACOGs, I have a little story that goes directly to my point. I too would focus too much on hardware. One year at SMM3G, I was shooting an Eotech. Kurt Miller was shooting an ACOG. I told him that I would be victorious over him on the close range stages whereas he would beat me on the long range. Kurt and his ACOG did not have too much respect for that and promptly beat me on the close range courses.

And remember that 3 gun is going to scratch your s%&t up. If you are going to have trouble throwing your $2500 scope into a barrel or let it hit the ground or getting the lens etched with ground debris when you shoot rollover prone, I would consider something else. All those scopes can take the punishment but it will hurt more when it's a Swaro 1-6X than with a TR21.

By the way I do consider that Swaro 1-6X to be a fantastic scope. Daniel, Cramblito, and Raine can't be wrong.

+1 on the XTR. I got to play with one at the range the other day and liked it a lot. I've been running a 3x ACOG with side irons on my tact-optics gun for the last 3 years. Just picked up an LR308 for HM-optics and am purchasing the Burris for that setup.

...my main concern is which one has the most forgiving eye relief for shooting from off positions. Thank you everybody.

IMO Accupoint but the best scope would be Swarovski Z6i 1-6x

I like them both and I have used both of them in many competitions.

I am interested in finding out which scope has the most forgiving eye relief(I think that is the term) for shooting from odd positions and angles. Light weight and daylight visible illumination are nice but not ultra critical.

I would just add something on this particular point that you made... for odd positions and angles, for me I find that BRIGHT daylight visible illumination is crucial to pick up the reticle quickly. This may not be the case for all, but certainly is for me when in unconventional positions, shooting from my support side, etc. I'm sure for support side my eye dominance also plays into this too.

Thank you to every one of you who contributed. The only "bad/good" thing is now I am looking at even more options now, from the Elcan Spector to 1.5-???x power scopes. The Elcan sounds promising in spite of the internet speculative bullsh!t, specs make it sound heavy until you realize adding a mount to any other scope will make it just as heavy or more so, it also doesn't sound as forgiving with it's eye relief in odd positions. The Leupold sounds intriguing as well. The US Optics and Swavorski are tied at this point, reticle goes to US Optics, weight and illumination to Swavorski, still not sure on which has the most forgiving eye relief. Elcan and Leupold are the dark horses with the potential to take the lead. Trijicon Accupoint would be a logical backup based on the weight alone, if purchased at all. Anybody have one or the other who shoots out at Rio in Mesa/PHX that I could look through? For now I will be sticking with A1 irons on one of my builds until I figure all of this out by actually looking through one of these in person. You'd think somebody in the PHX Metro area would have some or one of these in stock???? So far I've found a green triangle TR24 only, I've used an ACOG and been able to play with a Short Dot, all the other optics I have used have been pretty high power so not a lot of applicable context for this arena.