Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Spring Kits

BigNick73

Shot a match this weekend and had a couple of jams where it failed to completely cycle the next round into the chamber, all 3 times it was half way in. I bought the gun used so no idea of round count so figure a spring change is in order. Some of the kits I've seen come with a 3 prong sear spring and was wondering 1. if it requires fitting and 2. what can I do to see if I even need to bother changing that one. Also I shoot a 230gn RN with 4.5gn bullseye 16# or 18/18.5# recoil spring?

You don't need to change the sear spring. If you do, the weight of your trigger will likely go up.

Put in a new 16lb recoil spring.

Is your ammo properly taper crimped. Having a round stop halfway into the chamber sounds more like crimp, or actually lack of it. Set your crimp to .468-.469 at the case mouth.

Nick #1 give it a good cleaning and lube it up good. Next get some facory ammo and try that to see if the gun runs. Not going into battery could very well be that the head space on this gun does not support your reload OAL. It could also be the extractor tension, not letting the round climb the breech face.

I shoot clays with 200gr and only use a 12# recoil spring. I tried BullsEye in 40 and it just could not take the beating.

Do not change your sear spring as it probably has nothing to do with your problem. The same is probably true for your main spring in your MSH. The recoil spring is the most likely cause however, 1) make sure your gun has been cleaned, 2) polish your chamber rim and ramp, 3) truly make sure your thumbs are not pressing against the slide. For number 3) a small amount of pressure slowing your slide down can cause a FTF. After all that, check with someone who knows about magazines springs, feed lips and followers. In many well tuned guns, magazines are often seen as the cause of problems....

I have been fighting similar issues off and on. It was a bit of a major-ish problem for me, rounds going halfway into the chamber and sticking things up for me. turned out to be a crimp problem. For a .45acp it should be around .470 and i was at .475-.476 on a few rounds and having problems. After I got thigns tightened up things were good to go. had a couple minor issues recently and checked the crimp and it was fine. My gun however was a bit filthy so i gave it a good cleaning and lube and things are ready to rock and roll.

Check your crimp, then clean your gun :)

I am with G-manBart. 14#, maybe a 16# recoil spring if you have to and a clean the extractor tunnel. Lube it up and you should be good to go. I have seen lack of crimp cause the problem, but it was my buddy shooting factory Blazer Brass. We had to re crimp every thing he had.

thanks,

George

Thanks.

I "clean" it after every trip as in field strip and spray/brush out the barrel slide etc and lube, haven't torn it all the way down but will do that next and really scrub it.

I'll check the ammo I just started reloading, shot 500-600 rounds or so of the current setup and this was the first time I'd had any problems with it. Mags are a mix of Taurus, SA, and CM. They've all fed reliably in both guns until now.

I'm gonna go ahead and replace the recoil spring since it's a well worn PT1911 so I'm not fretting over it, just want it to go bang.

Measured ammo .470 and 1.265 OAL

Stripped and cleaned the extractor tube was filthy all kinds of trash fell out when I shoved a rod through it, took the rest down, spent a hour figuring out why it wouldn't cock again (sear spring in wrong spot). Going to replace the spring and should be good to go