Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Case-feeder Problem

Question - which shell plate is supposed to be used with the Dillon 1050 Casefeeder when loading 40SW. One guy at Dillon told me I needed the large pistol and another said the small pistol. I have both and neither are working exactly right. The large plate (even on slow speed) allows cases to miss the drop tube and get jammed under the plate or at the opening of the drop tube. I'd say this happens to 3 out of 10 cases that are fed through the machine. The same thing happens with the small plate, probably 2 out of 20. I am not over-loading the machine with brass. Any ideas?

I have read my casefeeder manual but I just can't seem to identify the cause - I know I am over-looking something.

Any feedback sould be appreciated. Thanks.

Jack

Jack,

Are you using the white alignment space that keeps the cases from tumbling while in the funnel? It is supposedly not necessary in 40 cal.

I have been told that .40 can technically be used with either plate and I have used both with acceptable results. I just cannot picture what is happening with your machine. There should be nothing stopping the cases from immediately falling out of the plate once they are pushed over the funnel area. could it possibly be that the stop switch is not operating and the plate continues to spin after the tube is full?

Leo

Leo,

The white "spacer" is still on the casefeeder. The machine was set-up for 38 Super when I bought it. The RL1050 manual states that the spacer is to be used for .41, 357, 30 Carbine. and 45 LC. My manual (an Dillons on-line manual) are very vague about this so maybe if the caliber isn't listed, the spacer should not be used. Maybe that is the problem. The jams are occuring prior to the cases hitting the shut-off switch. The cases are jamming inside the tub and are not falling in the tube. The cases appear to miss the drop tube completely when a large shell plate is used. I think I might remove the spacer and see what happens. Thanks for the reply.

Jack

Jack,

Removing the spacer should fix your problem. The only purpose of the spacer (from what I am told) is to keep certain cases from flipping while dropping into the funnel. With the spacer gone, the brass cannot help but fall into the funnel.

Leo

My contacts at Dillon officially recommend the large plate for the 40, but acknowledge that the small plate will work as well. Although it may not keep the tube filled quite as quickly, but this should not be a problem. (I often use this info when guiding a first 650 purchase, in two or more calibers.)

And yes, definitely dump the spacer.

be

I had similar problems with that spacer. My solution: I drilled out the holes in the tub.

Now it's possible to adjust the spacer in several positions. Reloading .38 Super, .40S&W and .30M1 Carbine works well for me, even on high speed, no jams anymore.

DVC, with kind regards, Henny Schmitz, NPSA, The Netherlands (EU)

I also load 9mm and 40SW, but I use a 650 press. I don't use a spacer. The problem I am having is that cases are often fed buttoms up. With 9mm it happens 3-4 times per hundred, with 40sw it happens a lot more often. I also get a lot of jams in the funnel with both 9mm and 40sw. I am using the small pistol plate for both calibers.

Another problem is when a case gets stuck in the lower end of the clear tube right where it is suppose to slip into the colored adapter.

Any ideas what am I doing wrong there?

Thanks

DV8,

The white spacer is designed to stop the 9mm cases from tumbling in the funnel and getting up-side down in the clear tube. Put the white spacer in and it should solve your tumbling problem.

As for your alignment problem going into the shell slider, make sure that you have the correct alignment bushing for the caliber (it should be green). Also check if there is an edge when the case has to transition from the clear tube to the green spacer ... it should be pretty smooth.

Hopefully this helps.

Leo

Thanks Leo, I'll try the spacer - I thought I don't need it for 9mm. There is some edge in the green spacer that I probably should remove - this really can be the cause of one of the problems.

Vlad

DV8,

But for .40S&W the adapter should be red (diameter a little bigger). It works well in my 650 when reloading .40 Caliber.

I clean those adapters on a regular basis and oil them lightly.

Timing can also be a problem. It's adjustable by moving that black part on top of the caseslider a little back or forward.

Hope this works for you.

DVC, Henny Schmitz, NPSA, The Netherlands (EU)

Schmitz,

I cannot comment directly on the 650 but assumed that Dillon kept their caliber color codes consistent, despite the fact that the 650 parts were different from the 1050. On the 1050, a .40 cal uses the same spacer as .38 Super, 9mm & .32 S&W (green) because of the case length (not the diameter). The 10mm, 9x25 and .45 ACP all use the red spacer.

Leo

Dear Leo,

I immediatly took my feeder tube apart and checked it. With my conversionkit came a red adaptor (genuine Dillon). The sticker on it says: adaptor .45ACP, 10mm .40 S&W, Barcode: 6 09824 13143 5. (Sticker still on!); Dillon 650!

Is Dillon delivering other stuff for Europe than for the United States of America??

Delivered via Drummen Custom Guns, Nuth, The Netherlands (EU).

DVC, Henny Schmitz, NPSA, The Netherlands (EU)