Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Recoil Rod And Spring Weight For And Sti 40?

gl

I am trying to work the bugs out of my STI 40 and have noticed no one likes the recoil master that STI uses becuase it breaks and such, and I have one in mine. What guide rod and spring weight(s) are you using? And for what power factor and bullet weight? Thank you!

Guy Hawkins

I am trying to work the bugs out of my STI 40 and have noticed no one likes the recoil master that STI uses becuase it breaks and such, and I have one in mine. What guide rod and spring weight(s) are you using? And for what power factor and bullet weight? Thank you!

Guy Hawkins

Not true, many shooters have had good sucess. I've used one for about 70K and it works great, no problems so far.

Before that I used a tungsten rod with a 14 lb spring and that worked fine too.

I'm one of the no-ones who likes the RecoilMaster, so send me yours.

You didn't say whether you have a slab slide (STI Edge style) or stirrup-cut (1911 style) slide. With a slab, you'll use a slightly lighter spring. But people use anywhere from 8# to 18#. 12 or 13 is fine with me for a slab.

Another vote for a tungsten Cominolli, 12.5# ISMI on a long dust cover full profile SVI. 180g MG, N320 with a PF of 168. I'm tinkering with a 9# spring and a 14# spring on the Cominolli. Both springs cut in 1/2 and the middle with th ends reformed to mate together. Sort of a recoil master setup without the stuff that breaks.

I too use the Cominolli frame saver tungston rod with 12 lb Sprinco progressive recoil spring or 15 lb ISMI recoil spring. N320 or WST powder and a 180 grain West Coast RNFP for 170-172 pf with a full length STI and a Schuemann barrel.

As to RM, I have not tried one but I know plenty of shooters ranked far above me who swear by them. I also know that they sometimes break - just like the Tungsten rods that I like to run. I think the only fact that can be taken from other's experience with the RM so far is: carry a spare (as one would with a tungsten rod).