Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Steel Challenge Gun Build Choices

pinblasteroh

Ok i did some research and really didn't find what I was looking for so I am just going to ask. What are most of the big shooters shooting for a limited steel challenge set up in terms of sti's. My question is 5 or 6 inch guns, bull barrel or bushing barrel, lightened or stock slide. My thought was a 5 inch with lightened slide (9mm) would be the best way to go but I wasnt sure about the barrel. I plan on building from scratch so I can do what ever I want. Gun will only be used for steel challenge and knockdown steel. Thanks.

I am building a 6" lightened 9mm with a bushing barrel. Will also double as a 3 gun pistol when I don't need to make major. I am still trying to decide on an STI or Caspian frame. I have both here and just have not made my mind up. I am only going with the 6" to get a londer sight radius.

Mike

Greg,

I am very pleased with the 6" 9mm STI limited gun Derek at Millenium Custom built me - it's the one pictured on his web site.

I went with a widebody to match my USPSA pistols and to make reloading easier for knock down steel.

Some folks prefer a single stacks for Steel Challenge.

Good Luck!

Edited by pmd

Greg,

I am very pleased with the 6" 9mm STI limited gun Derek at Millenium Custom built me - it's the one pictured on his web site.

I went with a widebody to match my USPSA pistols and to make reloading easier for knock down steel.

Some folks prefer a single stacks for Steel Challenge.

Good Luck!

Is that right when you log on? Thats a non bushing barrel correct? I need to order my barrel this month so I need to decided soon. Thanks for everyones info keep it coming. I want to get a bigger sampling.

I went with a Schuemann bull barrel as I wanted a sight tracker type set-up.

Both the barrel and slide has been lightend.

I have only shot light loads - I typically run 105 pf loads for SC and 125pf for knock down steel.

I could not get bullets under 115gr to shoot well so I shoot 115g jhps for SC and 125gr jhps for KD.

If you want to see what the big boys (and girls) are shooting here's SCSA on Flicker

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scsa_media/sets/

Thanks PMD for the link to the pics! Do you mind giving out the recipe of your 105 pf load? I'm looking at developing one now for my new SC pistol (pistol should be done next week).

I have the video of last years WSSC and most pistols are on a serious diet, taking off anything not needed. I have one being re-built now for SC and it has a short, light slide, lightened barrel, STI slide/frame, TI comp, etc. I am hoping to get down to 32-33 ozs when it's done.

Mine has a 4.15" barrel but it's open so not as much of a deal. When I do a Limited SC gun, I will probably go with a super lightened 6". However, I'm a nobody so take it for what it's worth... :)

Edited by gng4life

Thanks PMD for the link to the pics! Do you mind giving out the recipe of your 105 pf load? I'm looking at developing one now for my new SC pistol (pistol should be done next week)...

I use 3.8gr N320 w/115jhp at 1.140" oal

• 1 month later...

In my case I'm having an STI custom built in my area in my favorite caliber, 9x23. I have plenty of brass and I already load that round for a limited gun I shoot. Cost me exactly the same to shoot 9x23 as 9x19, I just can't shoot factory ammo on a moments notice. I save that stuff for my Hi-Power. If I'd have been shooting 38 Super instead I would have gotten that. If I need a 180 PF I'll just buy Winchesters. Otherwise I shoot only SC or other stationary steel matches at about 135 PF.

• 2 weeks later...

In my case I have a Bul M-5 IPSC in 9x23. Came with 3-10 rd MecGar mags which I rebodied to 14 rds by machining the new bodies from MecGar from the Para P18 in .38 Super. I can use 170mm STI/SVI .38 Super mags, but 140mm ones are iffy due to the grip length and the magwell it uses. Once I get the new STI open racegun I'll switch to STI mags on both guns. One of these days I'll actually get around to shooting SC in the Limited class. so far I'm working mostly in Rimfire Open.

Long slides may be the ticket for accuracy, but my best runs have been with an STI 9mm Tactical 4.15 in an aluminum frame. Fast out the holster an even the sight radius is short the gun is very accurate. However , I am less than nobody :P

• 2 months later...

In my case I have a Bul M-5 IPSC in 9x23. Came with 3-10 rd MecGar mags which I rebodied to 14 rds by machining the new bodies from MecGar from the Para P18 in .38 Super. I can use 170mm STI/SVI .38 Super mags, but 140mm ones are iffy due to the grip length and the magwell it uses. Once I get the new STI open racegun I'll switch to STI mags on both guns. One of these days I'll actually get around to shooting SC in the Limited class. so far I'm working mostly in Rimfire Open.

As an aside I found I can build 20 round mags for the Bul M-5 using MecGar Para p18 38s mags plus Aredondo +4 bases and triming the bottom of the followers to get that 20th round in. These are 138mm long and work if I pull the magwell off. But by using the Dremel on the inside of the magwell I'm pretty sure I can put this back on.

• 3 weeks later...

As an aside I found I can build 20 round mags for the Bul M-5 using MecGar Para p18 38s mags plus Aredondo +4 bases and triming the bottom of the followers to get that 20th round in. These are 138mm long and work if I pull the magwell off. But by using the Dremel on the inside of the magwell I'm pretty sure I can put this back on.

My idea worked so now I have 5-20 rd mags for the Bul at a cost of about $45 per mag and machined the inside of the magwell so that they work with it on also. Add to that the 4 other mags and now I can shoot the M-5 at Palmyra this year.