Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster suggestions for 6" Eagle

Have a 6" Eagle (.40) that I may use for Multi-gun; only problem I'm running into is finding a secure holster that fits the pistol. I've got a SERPA retention holster for a 5" 1911 that fits my Para Ord P16-40 (sort of), but it won't securely "lock" on my Eagle.

Any suggestions on a good holster that will fit a 6" Eagle, while offering both positive retention and a fast draw? I want to stay away from the true "race holsters" - had a bad experience with one in a 3-gun match once and some matches dis-allow their use.

the issue with the Serpa and STI is that the trigger guard is thicker than your Para, and the front is square rather than rounded,so it doesn't want to go around it and lock securely. You can either dremel the lock bigger, dremel the front of the holster that accepts the trigger guard bigger, or do all that to the gun. Or simply get a Bladetech which is used by many 6" gun users already.

Trapr

Kelly, All

Thanks for the suggestions and the link. Looked at the holster on the Safariland site and found only 5" guns listed. I've got a Dawson FO front sight on the pistol and am looking for a holster that covers the front sight (accidently ripped the front sight off a G34 once because the holster was too short.

Sounds like many are using BT holsters so I'll check into that. Retention is a real concern because I've had a gun bounce out of a holster before when I was sprinting - do the BT holsters come with any sort of solid retention system aside from the weight of the gun?

Still open to further suggestions.

Doug you can tighten a BT quite a bit to keep it(gun) from bouncing around, we adjust ours regularly according to what we think might be needed for any particular stage. Whether jumping, going prone, running, or low crawling thru pallets and such, normal and even abbie normal shooting activity. There is not any currently available holster that is going to "guarantee" that the gun won't find its way out of it, even a serpa can lose its cargo.

Trapr

Blade Tech has a model with a hood style thumbstrap, kind of like the Safariland 6004 tactical holsters, except it's spring loaded. Mines going back next week because the strap won't reliably spring forward, and even when it does it hangs up on the rear sight. But it is an option.

I use a Blade Tech DOH or a CR Speed for my 6" Limited guns.

I've searched the BT site and it doesn't list a specific DOH holster for the 6" Eagle (only lists the 5" Edge and 5" Eagle) - do you guys just get the 5" version or is there a special order option I'm not aware of? I'm ready to purchase a holster, but want to ensure I get the correct one. I welcome any and all feedback.

Thanks!

Saw your earlier post about you wanting it to cover the front sight completely. Not sure that exists. Most guys run the BT for the 5" and have it stick out the bottom. Always worth a call to BT and see if they can help ya.

Thanks for the feedback. When I saw others recommend BT DOH, I assumed they carried a purpose-built holster for a 6" gun. I'll contact BT and see what they recommend. Thanks to all for the input.