Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problems with 40 brass

twister

I've started shooting a 40 in Limited Class, so been loading alot of 40 bullets. The problem is, I'm getting brass where the top part of primer pushes out,leaving the sides of the primer in the case.What am i doing wrong? I'm using a EGW under sized die in the first station of my Dillon 550. Any help would be appreciated, Dave

Is it possible those are crimped primers & that is the crimp ring left in the brass? If you have looked at the primers you are removing & they are torn up, well then they aren't crimped ones but if they look like complete primers, then you are gonna have to fight the crimp brass. If the primers really are tearing up, first check the tip of your depriming pin & see if it is smooth & rounded or jagged & sharp, should be smooth & round. If it is smooth & round & is tearing up primers, I suspect your brass has been wet & the primers have corroded & bonded to the brass.

The dillon swage tool can clean up most of the problems with crimped brass & possibly the corrosion remnants if that is the case. .

MLM

Those are called "ringers", and if you are loading on a 1050 they can be....well....exciting.... Usually you will see them in brass that has sat for years or gotten wet. There is not much you can do about it, just keep an eye on it.

DougC

• 1 month later...

Those are called "ringers", and if you are loading on a 1050 they can be....well....exciting.... Usually you will see them in brass that has sat for years or gotten wet. There is not much you can do about it, just keep an eye on it.

DougC

+1

If Brass pockets are corroded so to speak, you will have to "dremel" them out and then polish the pockets.

A couple of guys from the area had to do this that bought brass out of Florida that was from an outdoor randge.

Good Luck