Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scharch mixed processed brass.

KentG

Another question that I dont see a awnser on. Is there a accuracy issue those who buy 100% Scharch processed brass that is mixed headstamps?

I know the Highpower guys get really anal about brass and even go so far as to measure case volume to account for wall thickness variations.

With mixed brands of rifle brass I would kind of think that there might be an issue. Using mixed brass for 45 isnt a issue but is it with the rifle ???

Im still trying to sort thru the prefered vz not liked thing on Lake City. Brassman sells Remi crimped and uncrimped and that will be where I buy from most likely once I get past the first steps on reloading 223.

I have been loading all of my long range 3 Gun Match ammo with the scharch brass and have gotten excellent results. My two accuracy loads have been

25 gr of Ramshot Exterminator with 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and

25 gr of Ramshot TAC with 75 gr Hornady Match BTHP's

They are both on the warm side but accuracy is under 1 MOA out of both my Firebird and JP uppers.

No problems what so ever with Scharch brass in my JP.

Loaded and shot 4K good stuff. Of the batches I bought the brass was 50% LC and 50% WC

I loaded it sorted like that, and it very accurate and 100% in my rifle

dcalvert

I sort mine, but it is not necessary for up close 3 gun type shooting. If you regularly shoot beyond 200 yards I would sort them. Where you could run into trouble would be to develop a load in one brand of brass and then drop it into a case with less capacity. I started sorting mine after noticing the cases coming around on the progressive press were filled to different levels. I weighed them as I noticed it, but they all checked out fine. If it's a mild load it won't matter, but some guys push it a little. You might want to have 2 loads ..... 55fmj that you can crank out and a good accurate long range load with 69 or 75 gr bullets and sorted brass.

I've shot through several thousand rounds of their brass with 100% reliability. For the long distance and big match brass I use the LC, that way I know I'm making power factor and the hits down range are accurate. I've also shot range brass, without failure, checking for split case necks and pressure rings when doing case prep. Checking the powder charge when loading, it's easy to spot the smaller capacity brass. For me, I think it's the PMC brass that always looks overloaded.

I too have recently used a bunch of Scharch .223 bras with great results. I run it all through my Giraud trimmer to chamfer.

Only issue I have is that I get a little ring around the bullet nose, no idea why but I assume the neck tension is a bit tight...?

I have used it recently. I loaded VV 133-23.7gr. 69 SMK, Federal SMR primers, velocity about 2981 fps. No problems. Can not get much better than that. Best group of two shots, twice the holes were touching each other at 100 yards.

I thought I would add some more comments:

I had a lot of range brass, some mine, some from police ranges, and other places. I purchased the Dillon Electronic trimmer and Super Swage. I cleaned my brass then trimmed trimmed it. I Super Swaged it. Cleaned it again. I then had to clean out a great number of primer pockets to get the media out. Then I reloaded it.

I had some issues with FC/fc/PMC brass, so I took the advice from another BE forum member and separated my LC from all other types of brass.

I used a 23.7 grains of VV133 producing about 2990 fps. Scharch brass - no problems, no primer flow, etc. My range LC brass - no problems, no primer flow, One shot of my "other" range brass - BIG PROBLEMS - blew the Q^$#!#^# primer out and mangled the case and I almost pooped in my pants. No a pleasant situation.

What I Learned:

1. Scharch Brass for SMK 69 for major matches

2. LC Range Brass for SMK 69 for local and practice matches

3. Crap Range Brass - I will down load for practice and short range local matches.

I will offer that Scharch brass is excellent for my needs.