Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Clays....not Universal

Rangertim

I used to load W231, but after finishing my last 4lb jug I'm ready for a cleaner powder that's easier to find. I picked up some Clays, not Universal, and am looking for a good major PF load using a 230gr FMJ. My Reloading manual has data for Universal, but not normal Clays and Hogden's website doesn't have a recipe for my bullets. Anyone out there using Montana Gold 230rd FMJ with Clays for Major PF? I appreciate the help!

Tons of info on clays and 45 acp. Try a search to verify my suggestions.

Start off at 3.8 and work up.

My load is 4.2 grains under a CMJ copper bullet at a 1.240 OAL for about a 170 pf.

With the MG you may end up at or slightly higher than 4.2 to make 170.

My Lee handloading book tells me that 4.0 grains of "Clays" takes a 230gr FMJ to 732fps, making a PF of 168. A minimum OAL of 1.200" is advised. YMMV.

Try a search for Clays or for 230gr FMJ in the Reloading area of the forum. You should find a lot of info.

Good luck!

I chronoed some 230gr Moly bullets from Bear Creek recently and even 3.6 grains of Clays is too much. checkout the post I made here : http://gunbot.wordpress.com/2010/08/09/chronoed-some-230gr-bear-creek-molybdenum-bullets/

Gun: Kimber 5” TLE / RL II

Bullet: 230gr Bear Creek Molybdenum

Powder : Hodgdon Clays

Brass : Winchester

3.7 gr 3.8 gr

#1 (fps) 772 793

#2 (fps) 762 795

#3 (fps) 773 781

#4 (fps) 761 757

#5 (fps) 766 792

Ave (fps): 767 783

Power Factor: 176.4 180.2

i made some 3.5s to play with which should get me somewhere around the 170-172 PF (i hope)

Hodgdon publishes loads for 230gr FMJ and Clays, but they peak at 732 fps which is barely major. I tried, but ended up switching to 230gr lead which can make major with 0.3-0.4 gr less powder in my gun.

I also had a small (0.1-0.2gr) powder measure problem which caused some flattened primers with FMJ. So my major+margin FMJ loads were way too close to the edge. Keeping the press (550b) clean and smooth fixed that problem, but I do not want to be that close.

(I also had a chrono problem then and the first Clays+FMJ shot registered 1215fps which I knew was false because I still had all my fingers. Changing the chrono battery fixed that)

Lee

I shot 45acp for several years and the best load I found was 4.0gr Clays behind a 230rn fjm

bullet loaded to 1.250. It made major in all temps and was the softest shooting powder I

tried and I tried several. I don't like suggesting a load, because every gun is slightly

different. So I would start at 3.8grs and work up. Clays also was clean burning.

• 2 weeks later...

My current load for Clays is 4.1g of Clays using a Hensley & Gibbs #68 fla base, 200g lead cast semi wad cutter.

These of course are reloaded on a Star Universal.

I cast these H&G's myself in BHN 20. I lube with BAC lube.

A very accurate load and quite economical as well.

I find 12 LB recoil springs in 5" barrel 1911's works well in this load.

It may not be hot enough to provide good ejection with heavy recoil springs.

Edited by Star4Ever