Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sighting in a sideways mount

1911Prof

I just got my open gun back after having it chromed and changing the mount to a Quinn II sideways mount (which I am now referring to as my 'gangsta' cmore) and am wondering how much parallax I should expect inside of 10 yards if I sight it in at 25 yards.

I went with a Cheely 90 rather than a Quinn 45, but I had to shim my CMORE by 3/16" in order to get it to zero. This is not a mount issue, though. My PARA frame has reinforcements welded to the dust cover to provide more screw depth when mounting a CMORE and I had to shim just about that same thickness as the reinforcement.

I didn't know Bart was a sidemore kinda guy. He is correct, you can now put the dot where you want to hit at almost any distance without engageing the brian to think 2" high. Mine seem to vary only 1/2" below or above line of site from point blank to 50 yards. Up close I put the dot on the top line of the A zone in the head and out 15 yd and beyond in the middle of the A zone of the head. If I do my job its an A hit.

While finding that dot is much easier it is still possible to lose it if you short arm the gun. A little weak hand practice also helps, for those times you need it off a reload.

Edited by CocoBolo

I didn't know Bart was a sidemore kinda guy.

I'm not! I got one of the first run of JT's Quinn I mount and ran it for six months on my Bedell and then went back to a conventional mount. It wasn't really any easier for me to find the dot....that's probably just years of indexing on an upright mount, and I like the way the gun balances better with a conventional mount. I do have the same mount on my 9 Major gun. R,

I was really afraid that the Quinn mount was going to sit so far back that I was going to be whacking it with my thumb on the draw(I have pretty big hands), but so far i haven't even touched it, it is no problem at all. As for it being unbalanced, I still think that the sideways mounts are sort of clunky and unbalanced looking, but so am I. So I guess we are made for each other. Besides when I take on a Gangsta pose, the c-more is correctly oriented.

Hello: If you are used to shooting a Limited pistol and are new to shooting Open like I am. The Quinn II mount works great. If you have been shooting Open for a while it will take some time to get used to the Quinn II mount. I have a Quinn 1 mount on the Frankingun and it works for me as well. The best part for me with the Quinn II mount is weak hand shots :cheers: Thanks, Eric

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here is the argument for the sideways mount. I shot a match Sunday with a stage that had a close head shot behind a no shoot through a port. I put my dot on it and got 2 alphas, several other shooters put two into the no shoot right below the A zone. I know that you can remember to over shoot those targets when you are close, but the fact is that I didn't have to remember, the dot is really linear from 5 feet out.