Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vests

tackdr1ver

Thanks for all the great responses. I have decided to go with the lightweight eotac vest. A friend of mine just picked one up and I tried it on, it seemed to be nicely made and also was stiff enough to clear easily. As one man pointed out, some heavy starch will help keep it stiff enough if it should start getting flimsy. Also, these vests are on sale this weekend for $49.00. Seems like a good deal to me!

To follow up, the vest arrived today. It appears to be nicely made and I really like the camel color (Something a bit different than the usual khaki/green). With an extra mag in either pocket, the vest slings away nicely. Thanks again for all of your input!

To avoid the FTDR, put your keys, or phone in the pockets if you want some weight in them. These are items that you would carry in your pockets on an everyday basis. I would dare even the biggest range nazi to try to give an FTDR for having those in your pockets.

I actually have one of the lightweight eotach vests as well. I've found that with the thin fabric, it actually clears easier without anything in the pockets. YMMV.

Good point on the extra mag/FTDR. I have another question, this vest has velcro not just outside but inside the main pockets in order to keep them open, would using this velcro to keep them open be legal for mag stowage?

The use of a mag in your right-hand pocket could get you a FTDR in IDPA from an over-zealous SO-especially in a sanctioned match. Wouldn't matter much in a local match unless the SO was "out to get you."

Put your barney mag in the right side after you load and make ready. You're allowed to use one, and there are no rules about where it has to be stored after use. If the SO argues that you wouldn't carry a mag there normally, you point out that you wouldn't carry a barney mag at all while CCWing.

Late to this thread but one bit of advice I did not see here and found useful was to try a smaller sized vest than you normally would order. My first vest was the IDPA EOTAC lightweight in my my typical size XL, and I was swimming in it. I picked up the same vest in L, and it was much more reasonable to move about in.