Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Question

I am just trying to get started, and I have more questions than I can manage. First one is: What kind of ammo should I use? I have a Ruger P95 (9mm) and have been shooting UMC 115gr FMJ's, but I can't seem to find any locally. I can reload, but all the bullets I have right now are defense type, i.e. hollow points. Is the FMJ a good choice to shoot at steel? Would I be better off buying a 40, which I can find ammo for, or staying with the 9?

Thanks for your help,

Mitch

Stay with the 9mm. I prefer jacketed bullets (Montana Gold or Zero brand FMJ's or CMJ's are great). But any of the moly coated bullets will be cheaper and are very good bullets as well.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any other info.

Stay with the 9mm. I prefer jacketed bullets (Montana Gold or Zero brand FMJ's or CMJ's are great). But any of the moly coated bullets will be cheaper and are very good bullets as well.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need any other info.

Let's not leave out Precison Delta, they support our sport! Monatan Gold also Supports the sport.

Most of the bulk JHPs aren't really self-defense bullets, and they don't cost more than FMJ/CMJs (or very little more), so you have a number of options. Buying Montana Gold, Precision Delta, or Zero in bulk will save you quite a bit over the Rem UMC bullets you're using now. R,

Yup, buy a case or more of whatever you go with to save the most money. For low(er) smoke, stick with a CMJ(complete metal jacket) or JHP type. Im shooting JHP and Moly coated lead (BBI) right now and like it. The Solo 1000 with BBI's almost leave the gun as clean as titegroup and jacketed.

My reloading set-up is actually my uncle's. RCBS for rifle, Dillon for handgun, MEC for shotgun. About every accessory that I know of; tumbler, bench-mount primer, electric and manual trimmers, powder trickler, and more. I'm not sure what the brand of bullets are that he has, but they are what I call the Black Talon type. I was mainly wanting to know what kind of bullets to order. Looks like I need to check on Montana Gold, Zero, and Precision Delta. What powder would be good to start with?

Thanks for the help,

Mitch

Mitch,

Just look through the 9mm reloading section for tons of recipes. You will find Tite Group to be a very popular and good choice for jacketed bullets. Very economical as well.

since you all ready have a 9mm, you might as well stick with that and invest your money in ammo. Untill you are ready to try something else. I wouldnt switch pistols just for calibre. just my $.02

I tend to shoot lead bullets outdoors for practice and use jacketed bullets at matches. Any of the above are quality bullets and you do get what you pay for. Suggest 231 or titegroup for new reloaders as they are easier to work with, meter well and lots of load data. I prefer heavier bullets but 115's are the least expensive and a good choice to get you started with a stock pistol.

Go to Precision Delta and some of the other web sites to figure which is the best bang for the buck, need to think thousands instead of hundreds when purchasing bullets.

Handloads.com has lots of loading data, check it out.

Reloading and working up loads that make your pistol more accurate are part of the fun!