Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tula Ammo .223?

As most Eatern Block ammunition it most likely has tombac in the jacket. They will probably hang onto a magnet. Still, even the higher rank brands use these type of jackets and it's softer then the barrel. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

I've been shooting a ton of it. Over 2,000 rounds so far, not a single problem of any kind.

BTW, Cabela's has it on sale for $3.99. Luckily for me, I have a Cabela's retail store locally. :P

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0076323217275a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntk=Products&QueryText=tula&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form23

I shot it in a 20" Colt HBAR and every once in a while I would get one that was strong enough to eject the spent casing but too weak to come back enough to strip another round off the mag. Tried different types of mags with same results. My friends gun chews them up by the thousands.

+1 on $3.99 from Cabelas

I'm told it's identical to Wolf? It runs in my 18" JP that has the gas tuned for Wolf but like wolf it's kinda weak so it may not cycle a 20" or a competition gun that's had the gas turned way down. It can be shot at AR500 steel without damaging it because there is no steel core.

Edited by jtischauser

That explains why wolf doesn't even eject out of my 18" gun. It leaves the spent case in the chamber. Shoots all brass just fine.

Wolf wouldn't run at all in my 20" Firebird no matter how much gas I gave it. It was a single shot.

Edited by jtischauser

As most Eatern Block ammunition it most likely has tombac in the jacket. They will probably hang onto a magnet. Still, even the higher rank brands use these type of jackets and it's softer then the barrel. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Sorry, tombac is magnetic? I thought it was copper and zinc, with some tin or lead added.

I'm guessing most issues are with running it in a rifle length gas system. My friend has a carbine that will shoot it all day long

Tula ammo runs in my AR: 18" barrel, rifle-length gas, standard carbine buffer. I find it to be quite accurate as well. However, I've found that if I've fired several shots and try to eject the round in the chamber, the extraction can be a bit sticky. I'm thinking that the steel case swells up a bit in a hot chamber. It does help to clean the chamber every 100 rounds and spritz some action cleaner into the gas tube and let it run out the barrel.

Wolf and similar ammo has a soft steel jacket. It will attract a magnet, which means a lot of matches (including SMM3G) will not allow you to use it. Will it damage steels ? Probably not, but we can't tell the difference, so any ammo that attracts a magnet is deemed unsafe... if you shoot it at our steels, you are going home.

This ammo has a number of other problems for 3-gun:

1) It has a steel cartridge case. This can often lead to extraction problems; in my case, my rifles will run OK when clean and cold, but even a slightly fouled, hot barrel will cause the case to stick enough that the rim rips right off the case. At that point, your stage is over and you have to wait for the barrel to cool before pounding the stuck case out with a steel cleaning rod. When I ran Wolf, I was meticulous about cleaning the chamber with a chamber brush and then a bore snake after every stage. This huge PITA was maybe worthwhile when this ammo was $99/k, but not now it costs more than my 55gr reloads.

2) It is pretty inaccurate - 3-4MOA is not unusual. This makes it suitable only for close-range hoser stages.

3) It is underpowered, which can cause functional problems.

4) It is very variable; one batch may cycle and shoot great, then next batch will shoot shotgun patterns and barely dribble out of the ejection port.

5) The ammo stinks - literally. The powder they use in unusually noxious and makes my eyes water way more than other brands.

I had several thousand round that I bought when it was $99/k. I only have about 60 rounds left, and have no intention of buying any more.

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Funny thing is, we tested these surplus rounds out that have the soft steel core in them and they damage the steel less then fmj's with brass jackets. However, there's a lot of danger of ricochet's, that's why a lot of ranges overhere don't like them (especially not when they have steel plate back stops (indoor ranges)).

I have used the Tula before, and it is about the same as Wolf, maybe even a little lower quality but pretty darn close. If you are just a casual shooter or using it for messing around, it works fine. Some guns will run it just fine, others give you constant problems.

I would recommend trying to find some to try in your gun and then judge the results for themselves, because that is what truly matters right, then make the call.

I have shot some and it appears to be the same as wolf. I use wolf quite a bit as the matches here really dont have any long distance shots more than say 100 yards on a half size target.At that range it is accurate enough for What I want it for. Works great on the hoser stuff. My gun never has a problem with it at all and its a 16 inch. the 10.5 inch all eats it no problem

Edited by EkuJustice

I think cabela's is fresh out. I was about to order a 1000's for practice befreo the Ozark match.

ya its not on the website anymore think ill have to run by the store and see what they have left runs great for me

and general shoot 1&1/2 inch groups for me

at the local 3 gun this weekend they wouldnt let ya use the herters cabelas has cuz it supposedly has a steel core to bad its on sale right know

• 2 weeks later...