Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillion Flaring Die?

They are $14 from Dillon. What is it you are trying to do?

Was just screwing around with my .45 dies thats I've never messed with before I start seriously picking up stuff for a .40

Trying to do this on a single stage probably isn't going to work real well.

Anyone know if a 550 powder funnel die will work on a 650? I think they are shorter.........

According to the product description on the Dillon Website:

"Extra powder dies allow you to move your powder measure from toolhead to toolhead without changing the "belling" adjustment.Toolhead not included. These are for the RL550, XL650,and RL450 equipped with the automatic powder system"

Hope this helps.

Anyone know if a 550 powder funnel die will work on a 650? I think they are shorter.........

According to the product description on the Dillon Website:

"Extra powder dies allow you to move your powder measure from toolhead to toolhead without changing the "belling" adjustment.Toolhead not included. These are for the RL550, XL650,and RL450 equipped with the automatic powder system"

Hope this helps.

That is the powder die - Not the powder funnel, the funnel goes inside the powder die. The funnels that come in the 550 conversion are shorter than what come in the 650 conversion.

Edited by ScottyPotty

The funnels are the same. If you check each part number for the 550 vs 650, they are identical. When I converted from my old 550 to my 650, I R&R's the same powder measure/die/funnel from the 550 tool head to the 650 tool head. I never used the powder funnels that came with the 650 conversion kit.

The funnels are the same. If you check each part number for the 550 vs 650, they are identical. When I converted from my old 550 to my 650, I R&R's the same powder measure/die/funnel from the 550 tool head to the 650 tool head. I never used the powder funnels that came with the 650 conversion kit.

Mine are different - Ill take a pic tonight. But the 550 are shorter

All Powder Dies are identical, dimensionally.

POWDER FUNNELS (go inside the Powder Die), on the other hand, are specific to each caliber. But with a particular caliber, they are all the same in the different presses Caliber Conversion Kits. Or in other words, the Powder Funnels, for example, in 40 S&W Caliber Conversion Kit are the same in a 550 and a 650 Caliber Conversion Kit.

be

I'd be interested to see that - because they shouldn't be different. For the same caliber, there's one SKU number for a Powder Funnel that is used in all the presses Caliber Conversion Kits.

be

I'd be interested to see that - because they shouldn't be different. For the same caliber, there's one SKU number for a Powder Funnel that is used in all the presses Caliber Conversion Kits.

be

The only thing I can figure is that they used to make different lengths. The short ones are in 550 caliber conversion sets.

The "E" Funnel = .45 I have 3 differnt ones - notice the radius on the bottom of the 2 longer funnels. The one on the Left came out of my .45LC

e45pf.jpg

Here are the "D" funnels - .38/.357

d38pf.jpg

Here is the 9mm "F" funnels

f9mmpf.jpg

The "E"and "D" funnels on the right in the photos are from the RL450, which had a manually operated powder measure. When the RL550 was introduced, along with the automatic powder measure, the funnels for some calibers were lengthened to ensure the powder bar reached the full stroke.

The "F" funnel on the right is from the early RL550. The longer "F" funnel on the left was introduced with the introduction of the Square Deal loader. The Square deal required an even longer stroke on some calibers. At first we made 1/4" long bushings that were placed on top of the original 550 funnels. Eventually, the funnels were appropriately lengthened, so they would function on both the RL550 and the Square Deal.

The "E"and "D" funnels on the right in the photos are from the RL450, which had a manually operated powder measure. When the RL550 was introduced, along with the automatic powder measure, the funnels for some calibers were lengthened to ensure the powder bar reached the full stroke.

The "F" funnel on the right is from the early RL550. The longer "F" funnel on the left was introduced with the introduction of the Square Deal loader. The Square deal required an even longer stroke on some calibers. At first we made 1/4" long bushings that were placed on top of the original 550 funnels. Eventually, the funnels were appropriately lengthened, so they would function on both the RL550 and the Square Deal.

Thanks for the info - So do I need 1/4" bushings for these to work correctly in a 550?

The same ones are used in the 1050.

I know I had powder funnels for all my calibers.

Moved all my "stuff" to one area and all I have (where I thought I had several different powder funnels) are all just the generic expander funnel. Now I wonder if I was that crazy before or if the powder funnel elves switched them around.

Has any one else had an infestation of powder funnel elves or is it just old age?

I went visited the Dillon store to buy a powder funnel (Note: covered parking is employees only).

Asked the guy behind the counter for a .32 caliber powder funnel. He pointed to a shelf with plastic funnels on the end of the row. Had to tell him, "No, I needed the Dillon powder-through expander powder funnel." I really think they need a better name...