Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm STI Edge - Feeding trouble

Mark100nl

Hi all,

Just got a brandnew STI Edge yesterday, in 9x19. Put the first 200 rounds (Geco 124 grs fmj) through it and every time when there were 5 or less rounds in the mag this would happen on every shot (see attached image). Fill the mag up and everything cycles well untill I reach the 5 left in the mag limit, then trouble starts. Switched between the 3 mags, and the same with all of them. Switched to a few Magtech 124 grs rounds, and all of those were not extracted from the chamber after being fired.

That to me is a bit too much trouble for a brandnew gun in that price range, frustrating would be a better word.. Everything is factory standard on the mags, the gun has been given an extra treatment by the gunsmith (ramp polishing etc.)

Any pointers? Or should I just be patient untill the gun is broken in a bit more?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Just got a brandnew STI Edge yesterday, in 9x19. Put the first 200 rounds (Geco 124 grs fmj) through it and every time when there were 5 or less rounds in the mag this would happen on every shot (see attached image). Fill the mag up and everything cycles well untill I reach the 5 left in the mag limit, then trouble starts. Switched between the 3 mags, and the same with all of them. Switched to a few Magtech 124 grs rounds, and all of those were not extracted from the chamber after being fired.

That to me is a bit too much trouble for a brandnew gun in that price range, frustrating would be a better word.. Everything is factory standard on the mags, the gun has been given an extra treatment by the gunsmith (ramp polishing etc.)

Any pointers? Or should I just be patient untill the gun is broken in a bit more?

Thanks!

On the face of it, it looks like the extractor is too tight, but my guess is the gun is tight the springs are new in the gun and it needs to break in a bit more. It is no glock it takes more than 3 drops of oil. When you rack the slide is it nice and smoth or a little gritty? Try some 115gr RN they might have a little more recoil to get it broke in. Make sure your recoil master is not binding or rubbing.

Hi all,

Thanks!

2011 guns in 9mm often need mag spacers (usually) or SV mags to feed reliably...especially if you're using factory length ammo. Since it's not happening before 5 rounds left pretty much eliminates problems with the extractor or ramp (shape, polish etc).

The other thing is that an Edge has a pretty heavy slide, and factory ammo can be a bit too light to properly extract/eject, so a lighter spring may be required...but that may go away as the gun breaks in somewhat. I'd put spacers in the mags (Shooters Connection is a good source), put a standard guide rod in it, and try a 10 or 9lb spring and see what happens. R,

Hi all,

Thanks!

2011 guns in 9mm often need mag spacers (usually) or SV mags to feed reliably...especially if you're using factory length ammo. Since it's not happening before 5 rounds left pretty much eliminates problems with the extractor or ramp (shape, polish etc).

The other thing is that an Edge has a pretty heavy slide, and factory ammo can be a bit too light to properly extract/eject, so a lighter spring may be required...but that may go away as the gun breaks in somewhat. I'd put spacers in the mags (Shooters Connection is a good source), put a standard guide rod in it, and try a 10 or 9lb spring and see what happens. R,

This!

If its a brand new gun, may calling STI help out? I'm not sure how good their customer support is but I've read that many think its great. It'd be interesting to read what they state as well (although previous posts surely probably explain what is happening well) and get some more feedback on their tech support.

Sorry guys, for some odd reason I wasn't getting the normal emails on replies so I'm just noticing your tips now..

The mags have spacers, also standard STI. Actually just got back from the range again, this time tested with 4 different kinds of factory ammo and things seem to be going from bad to worse. With Fiocchi 115gr, Magtech 124gr and S&B 115gr the feeding problem persist and the extractor failure just got way worse with all the ammo.. http://members.home.nl/mwille/sti2.jpg

It is impossible to get 3 consecutive shots out of the pistol, no matter which of the 3 mags or kind of ammo is used. Just to see what would happen we oiled her up real good, which made no difference what so ever.

Some of the other shooters at my club also suggested the spring should be heavier. Maybe so, but still I feel a gun at this price should be running out of the box, at least a bit. I can live with a few malfunctions due to the fact that the pistol isn't run in yet, but not every other shot..

I have already emailed the gunsmith that sold the pistol to me, being in Europe I'm not sure STI itself will be much help..

In your last picture, is that a spent case that failed to extract or is that a live round that skipped the extractor?

Check your extractor tension.

Also for your slide locking back with 5 rounds left in the mag, it's possible the remaining rounds in the magazine is hitting the slide stop.

Does one of your friends have a slide stop that has been modified to prevent slide lock back? See if you can borrow it and see if you can get to empty a magazine. If it don't fit properly, don't force it.

In your last picture, is that a spent case that failed to extract or is that a live round that skipped the extractor?

Check your extractor tension.

Also for your slide locking back with 5 rounds left in the mag, it's possible the remaining rounds in the magazine is hitting the slide stop.

Does one of your friends have a slide stop that has been modified to prevent slide lock back? See if you can borrow it and see if you can get to empty a magazine. If it don't fit properly, don't force it.

That's a spent case that failed to extract. The slide doesn't get locked back with rounds in the mag, the feeding problems started the first day with 5 left in the mag, not pushing the next round into the chamber: http://members.home.nl/mwille/sti.jpeg

Shooting this afternoon that same problem also started occurring with more then 5 left in the mags.

Reading through the comments I think I can summize that there are two distinct possible problems : recoilreducer spring is doesn't have enough power to push the next round into the chamber and extractor tension is to low to reliably pull the spent cases out. Still makes me wonder how these guns get shipped like this :(

if there's a recoil master in it, what color is the spring?

Try installing a standard guide rod with a 10 lbs spring and see what happens. Not sure on the 10 lbs spring though. Others might chime in saying to go lighter or heavier.

I also bought a new 9mm STI Edge this year and also had problems with feeding in the beginning. However, using lots of oil, not really cleaning the gun and after something like 1000 to 1500 rounds it started to work just fine. So most likely it just needs a little break-in.

Wouldn't suggest modifying the gun or the magazines before using it for a while...

Have had exactly the same problem on my 9mm+ STI Grandmaster open gun but after measuring the mag lips

it was clear they where for set up for .40, so with careful and loving usage of a hammer I got the lips

down and problems disappered for me...

If you apply force on mag lips - make sure the do not get to tight up front but more towards the back

so the bullet does not start to 'dive'...

38S, 38SC,9mm, 9x23---.355"-.360"

40 S&W---.385"-390"

45ACP---.435"-.445"

/ Jens

Back from the gunsmith. Extractor completely replaced and adjustments made to the recoilmaster. 30 something test rounds on the small testing range using all 3 mags went without any trouble. Now I have to wait untill friday for some rangetime at the club to do some serious testing :)

Anyways, looks like you guys were pretty much spot on in identifying the cause of the problems, thanks!

• 1 month later...

Little update on this. Ever since the smith exchanged the extractor no more problems with spent cases not being extracted. The other problem persists though, the slide is unable to push the next round into the breech (picture in the second post of this topic). Some of the 3 mags I have are worse then others, but they all do it. Popped Arredondo mag springs in which are a bit stronger, no difference.

I have another appointment with the smith this friday, speaking to him on the phone he seems very reluctant to give me a heavier spring for my recoil reducer, let alone a standard guiderod with a heavier spring. He feels things should work with the factory spring and intends to work on the ramp some more.. Will make sure I get heavier springs to use if neccesary though, no matter what he says..

My curioisty is up. If you hand cycle the gun (no ammo) does it close easily and is it smooth are does it kind of have a hard time going into battery?

The picture has the round not even to the barrel yet, this is kind of way out for the common problems with the ejector and burrs in the chamber.

The gun also look real dry in the picture, I'd expect to see a little excess lube somewhere on the gun.

Edited by CocoBolo

Little update on this. Ever since the smith exchanged the extractor no more problems with spent cases not being extracted. The other problem persists though, the slide is unable to push the next round into the breech (picture in the second post of this topic). Some of the 3 mags I have are worse then others, but they all do it. Popped Arredondo mag springs in which are a bit stronger, no difference.

I have another appointment with the smith this friday, speaking to him on the phone he seems very reluctant to give me a heavier spring for my recoil reducer, let alone a standard guiderod with a heavier spring. He feels things should work with the factory spring and intends to work on the ramp some more.. Will make sure I get heavier springs to use if neccesary though, no matter what he says..

Stronger mag springs will make the feeding problem worse, not better. They push upwards harder, so the case has more drag on the magazine feed lips, which makes it harder for the slide to strip the round and chamber it. Have you measured the feed lip dimensions? Is the slide locking back on an empty magazine now? R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I know there were some dimensions given for mag lip openings, but Dawson recomends a little tighter lips than those listed. He says .350-.355 for the 9mm, and there should be a .003-.005 taper from front to back (with the larger size at the front of the lips). Also smooth the lips with a very fine file to make sure there are no burrs present. This may not help with your exact problem, but it will help in the long run. Sorry to hear you are having trouble, I know it is frustrating.

If you bump the back of the slide when this happens doses it chamber? The slide stop is not engaged in the notch when this happens? If so it is a combination of the 2 stage light recoil spring in the recoil master combined with the pistol being new and needing to break in.

Out .

2011BLDR

My curioisty is up. If you hand cycle the gun (no ammo) does it close easily and is it smooth are does it kind of have a hard time going into battery?

The picture has the round not even to the barrel yet, this is kind of way out for the common problems with the ejector and burrs in the chamber.

The gun also look real dry in the picture, I'd expect to see a little excess lube somewhere on the gun.

I keep her oiled up pretty good, as per the advice I've gotten here. The problem also occurs when hand cycling the gun, as well as when you stick a new mag in with the slide back and disengage the slide stop.