Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm STI Edge - Feeding trouble

Mark100nl

If you bump the back of the slide when this happens doses it chamber? The slide stop is not engaged in the notch when this happens? If so it is a combination of the 2 stage light recoil spring in the recoil master combined with the pistol being new and needing to break in.

Out .

2011BLDR

Yep, giving the slide a good ol bump chambers the round.

If you bump the back of the slide when this happens doses it chamber? The slide stop is not engaged in the notch when this happens? If so it is a combination of the 2 stage light recoil spring in the recoil master combined with the pistol being new and needing to break in.

Out .

2011BLDR

Yep, giving the slide a good ol bump chambers the round.

Sounds like the round is not sliding up under the extractor. Heavier recoil spring will help this or mask the problem as they say. The extractor may need to be cut slightly or at least radius the bottom edge, to make it easier to slide up the breech face. Not discounting there could be other geometry issues but the extractor is the common one.

If you are a serious competitor you always need a spare tuned extractor. I've heard very good feed back from other shooters on the Brazos Pro Tuned extractors. A spare is fit you run it a while to verify it and then put it in the range bag for the time when you need it.

Edited by CocoBolo

So I look at the pix and I look at the pix and I just cant get out of my mind that the part of the mag that can be seen in the picture is touching the bullet. That should not be. That is not part of the feed lip and should have quite a bit of clearance. That part of the mag should have .040 or .050 clearance. Looks like yours are touching the bullet. It could be the angle of the pix and there could be lots of room.

So I look at the pix and I look at the pix and I just cant get out of my mind that the part of the mag that can be seen in the picture is touching the bullet. That should not be. That is not part of the feed lip and should have quite a bit of clearance. That part of the mag should have .040 or .050 clearance. Looks like yours are touching the bullet. It could be the angle of the pix and there could be lots of room.

You might be on to something, it looks like at least one of the mags has that area way tighter then the others:

http://members.home.nl/mwille/sti3.jpg

Sounds like the round is not sliding up under the extractor. Heavier recoil spring will help this or mask the problem as they say. The extractor may need to be cut slightly or at least radius the bottom edge, to make it easier to slide up the breech face. Not discounting there could be other geometry issues but the extractor is the common one.

If you are a serious competitor you always need a spare tuned extractor. I've heard very good feed back from other shooters on the Brazos Pro Tuned extractors. A spare is fit you run it a while to verify it and then put it in the range bag for the time when you need it.

I'm not entirely shure I know what you mean by that (round is not sliding up under the extractor).. :$

The factory extractor did get replaced by one from Caspian during my second visit to the smith. Here's two closeup views, maybe you will be able to see what you suspect:

http://members.home.nl/mwille/sti4.jpg and one with a round on the extractor: http://members.home.nl/mwille/sti5.jpg

The recoilspring has been replaced by a heavier one (9 lbs was all they had, all the other don't fit over the recoilmaster) and things are looking up. 250 rounds on friday night and the problem only occurred a few times with only one mag. So where not entirely there yet but almost :)

Mark,

read this about the extractor (from brazos website)

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm

don't know if the standard STI extractor is like this, I doubt becouse Brazos has to tune them this way

(voor een Aftec extractor kan je contact opnemen met Romain Baeyens in België, die heeft er mss nog enkele. http://www.shootpetoet.be/Baeyens.html) sorry for the Dutch language

gr Tom

Well it looks like you have finally answered your own question: and I quote your answer "the problem only occurred a few times with only one mag" Number your mags and don't use the bad one till you have time in practice to fix it, and prove that it works. This does not mean it will work in a mach, when you shoot a match you will find all of the problems, that don't happen in practice.

When the extractor is too tight as you slowly feed a round there will be a noticable hang/mometary stoppage as the round goes up under the extractor and reaches its widest point. really slick feeding gun will not have a noticable hang up. A good feeding gun may have just a little reistance, and one that chokes won't feed slowly. Take the firing pin out if testing with live rounds and pay attening to rule #1 don't point it at anything you don't want to destroy, including yourself.

Well it looks like you have finally answered your own question: and I quote your answer "the problem only occurred a few times with only one mag" Number your mags and don't use the bad one till you have time in practice to fix it, and prove that it works. This does not mean it will work in a mach, when you shoot a match you will find all of the problems, that don't happen in practice.

When the extractor is too tight as you slowly feed a round there will be a noticable hang/mometary stoppage as the round goes up under the extractor and reaches its widest point. really slick feeding gun will not have a noticable hang up. A good feeding gun may have just a little reistance, and one that chokes won't feed slowly. Take the firing pin out if testing with live rounds and pay attening to rule #1 don't point it at anything you don't want to destroy, including yourself.

Will do. I might even have the one mag that was still giving me trouble exchanged for a new one, under warranty.

Tested for the extractor hangup as you mentioned, and when feeding really slowly the extractor still "grips" the round so I guess we're good as far as that goes. And don't worry, I respect the 4 rules religiously! I made a set of dummy rounds (spent case & primer, no powder) especially for testing things like this, I never keep live ammo anywhere near the weapon if not at the range.

We'll see how the gun keeps performing over the next few weeks. If I'm happy with it after another 2000 rounds or so I'll consider taking it to a match.

Thanks for the help everybody!

• 9 months later...

Sorry for the late reply, not receiving emails on replies anymore apparently..

@Frank: First match already under the belt (1 day after I picked the gun up!) and she performed perfectly :) Shooting the qualifier in Leiderdorp on august 28th, maybe I'll see you there.

@Tommy: Yep, came from Jürgen. Total delivery time from order date until arrival at Jürgen's was 16 months..