Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FTF - why now?

foxyyy

After been reloading rifle rounds for more than a year now..had a frustrating problem of my loads not being able to feed and chamber. Bolt won't fully close. Don't know what went wrong during reloading since always followed the same steps, same procedure, same specs, same measurements as before. Only now did it hiccuped & vomited on my rifle..just before next week's match. DAMN! what to do? already resized all my cases & primed..hope the problem lies in the head seating, if not, have to resize my primed cases again?

Here is a pic of the rounds that vomited from my rifle..those encircled (deformations) only showed after I extracted the rounds.

ammoprob.jpg

Edited by foxyyy

i am assuming those pics were taken after you tried to chamber em??? by trying to force the bolt to close on it is the squashed shoulder you got, basically its a headspace problem, not a bullet seating problem, i realize you saidthe dies are on a dedicated toolhead??? but when was the lasttime you checked em for tightness(they can and do walk/unscrew) crap in the dies(ive had excessive lube in some 38 dies that gave me seating fits) do you have a case guage, other than tryin to drop em in the actual rifle's chamber???

check trim length and headspace in ur rifle. something is very very wrong.

Is this brass been fired through your rifle before or is this is the first go-around for this batch of brass? may need a small base die if its once fired brass from another rifle...

Edited by Corey

everytime i load, I always follow religiously the same procedure - tumble, lube case, resize/deprime, clean primer pocket, trim cases to 1.755", chamfer/debur, tumble again, seat primers, load powder and lastly seat bullets to 2.255"-2.260"..

the cases used are already in its 3rd-4th reload cycle..used in the same rifle/barrel since from the start

checked the barrel's chamber, no dirt or obstruction of any kind

dies in the dedicated toolhead didn't budge at all..also, i measure every case that gets trimmed and gets seated with heads

factory rounds are chambering fine..so are my old reloads

trying out the sharpie method right now..will post pics in awhile

Edited by foxyyy

screw the sharpie..found out that the latest batch of reloads i made have the same deformation in the shoulder area

checked my primed cases and they all look fine...chambered them and they went in smoothly

decided to put powder in one of the primed cases & seated a head..there it was, it deformed my shoulder!

what seems to be causing this in the seating procedure? and why just now? decided to re-adjust my seating die..reseated another head, again, a deformed shoulder =(

am using a Lee Seating Die..already placed an order right now for a Redding National Match Die Set to replace this darn die

dsc1478.jpg

Edited by foxyyy

It looks like you're trying to seat the bullet & crimp at the same time, and your crimp die is misadjusted. Your cases are crushed at the shoulder, and should not be reused.

I 2nd that!

Run some brass through the seating die without a bullet. If it is damaged, then the whole die is in too far (massive over-crimping). Screw the seating dye out until it doesn't deform the brass, then adjust the seating depth with a bullet.

Did you check the die for foreign objects? Clean it?

Edited by Jeff686

Your seater die is crimping too much before the bullet is fully seated.

Get one of the good rounds, with the seater die and seater plug backed out, pull the press handle all the way down and the ram to the top, adjust the die until it touches the case and then adjust the seater plug to touch the bullet. That will be seating without a crimp. If you want more crimp, back out the seater plug and turn the die down and then the seater plug...

screw the sharpie..found out that the latest batch of reloads i made have the same deformation in the shoulder area

checked my primed cases and they all look fine...chambered them and they went in smoothly

decided to put powder in one of the primed cases & seated a head..there it was, it deformed my shoulder!

what seems to be causing this in the seating procedure? and why just now? decided to re-adjust my seating die..reseated another head, again, a deformed shoulder =(

am using a Lee Seating Die..already placed an order right now for a Redding National Match Die Set to replace this darn die

dsc1478.jpg

is it a collet seater?, I had one of those and it would jam every few rounds and cause the shoulders to set back just like your pics.

it was indeed the seating die..i guess, it was a seating/crimping die in one..

borrowed a friend's seating ONLY die & everything went out smoothly

btw, can i still use the cases with deformed shoulders? tried resizing them and so far, they all went back to their normal shape

thanks for everyone for their replies! =)

If they chamber, the next time you pull the trigger, the cases should fire form back to spec if the sizing did not. Crimping is debatable and a personal choice. If you choose to crimp, there are many dedicated crimping dies. OR you could back out the seater and adjust down your seater die to crimp only as the last step...personally, I have found the Lee Factory Crimp die gives me tighter groups out of my AR and the reduced probability of bullet setback is a plus.