Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra Long Firing Pins

trickpony

Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on why or when an extra long firing pin is necessary? I've been told both to and not to use one in my 9x19 open gun adventure... Any thougths? And is the Limcat piece the way to go if it is necessary?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs. :)

Dawson also lists one in its catalog.

Hyper Drive Firing Pin- made from heat treated stainless steel

#026-1025

9mm/38 Super/40 S&W Extended Length.......$10.95

Beven Grams made an interesting point: we ain't walking around with a loaded gun, unless we plan to be shooting it. An extended firing pin gets rid of a potential problem in primer flow or a weak strike... ounce of prevention vs. pound of cure.

My original .40 loads (Clays, back in the 175 PF days) caused primer flow with WSP primers. I would get light FP hit misfires from brass in the FP channel. A combination of WSR primers plus Limcat long FP's solved that problem. I shoot a different load now, but still use WSR's and Johnny's long FP's (why change what works?).

Austin- Did you change to a shorter firing pin? Or, did you grind it down untill it fit? I still have the stock FP in my SV and I was thinking about buing an extra to keep in the spare parts bag. No point to making extra problems.

Thanks,

Kirk

.40AET,

I just swapped out the pin for a standard length Ed Brown. I liked the Limcat in my previous limited gun, but the sv slide just wasn't compatible with it. Since switching back, I have not had any light strikes or noticable primer flow, but time will tell. I didn't notice this problem with the limcat pin until I got two failures to feed in one practice session. I looked at and gagued the rounds that failed, and they looked good. But when I was cleaning the gun I noticed that the pin was ever so slightly above the level of the breechface.

Tyro,

A long firing pin does not prevent primer flow, it just prevents it from flowing into the firing pin hole (tunnel) and causing ignition failure. Keeps the ignition consistent since nothing can get between the firing pin and the primer.

Leo