Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Hammers

trickpony

I'm currently choosing parts for a new open gun and was wandering if anyone had any experience with the STI titanium hammers? I'll probably use the Koenig or SV hammer unless someone can tell me good things about the titanium piece. I heard they don't hold up very well.

Thanks all!

<_<

I guess my response would be why would you knowingly put a part on your blaster that you know will fail sooner, and a lot sooner from what I've heard and read, than a comparable tool steel part. Also will you notice the hammer being .025 oz. lighter or whatever ridiculous BS they are using to sell you something you'll never think about after you put it in. Koenig, S_I, extreme engineering, and good steel.

When the Ti hammers first came out, twelve years ago or so, I plopped one into my single stack Open gun. (Yes, there was a time when single stack Open guns were competitive!)

The trigger pull was beautiful; light, crisp, a joy to shoot.

Six months later I get a call from Chip; The Ti hammers aren't holding up, would I like a steel one in exchange? I tell him I love the pull, and I can get a new hammer when it begins to fail. His repsonse: "We'll expect your call in 30,000 rounds."

Like clockwork, the gun began doubling at the 30K mark. I shipped it back and got a new tool steel hammer in exchange. Since then, the steel one has gone 100K+ as an Open IPSC and Steel gun, without fail.

And the trigger pull felt just as good once I got used to the marginal difference.

I remember when Chip brought out the TI stuff .they were trick...seemed faster..but they did wear out..the disconnector cut out in the slide would wear on the early hammers too..

Nowadays...I really like Koenig hammer..have them in three guns...no issues at all...

[Don't shoot an Open gun mode ON]

S7 tool steel is some pretty damned good stuff. I used to have fixtures made out of it, and there's just not much, not to like about it. I just can't imagine Ti having better longevity. If I was super-concerned about lock time reduction, I'd prefer a hellaciously durable, spurless S7 hammer over a Ti anything.

[/ignorant Opinion]

In one of my conversations with George Smith, he said there was a run of bad heat treatments on a batch of DK hammers, made them too brittle..they recalled all those..no problem with the ones I have..all are holding their trigger jobs very well..

I guess I'm only guy on the plant that like the ti hammers. but I'm not TJ or Matt Burkett and I don't shoot 50,000 rounds a year. I did have to re-do my trigger jobs after 50,000 rounds, which equal 5 years worth of shooting for me, and the only parts I replaced were the SEAR, and sear spring, just touched up the hammer hooks and life was good again. I currently have 2 ti hammer with over 50,000 rounds on them and another with nearly 10,000 with no real problems. and I alway put some chip mccormick trigger slick , and yes the bottle is that old, on the sear and hammer hooks. but like everthing else in life your mileage may vary.

Brian H.

on the keonig hammers, the first one I saw an few years ago was like you described, junk. recently I've seen 2 and they were nice, everything nicely polished, hammer hooks cut square, a vast improvement.