Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm large frame magazine saga

Nealio

Ok so I picked up a Mec-Gar .38 Super mag in hopes of modifying it to use as a 9mm mag, but its not looking so good. Even with a spacer the width of the taper is too loose. It basically works about the same as the front spacer mags. My last hope is a Mec-Gar 9mm CZ75 or SP01 mag.

Stay tuned for info that.

My 2 rear spacer mags are still flawless loading 20 rounds each. I'm shooting about 300-500 rounds a week through them with no issues.

- Nealio

If you are going to play with smaller mags you baby eagle mags are a good starting point they are the same as small frame tanfoglio mags and henning makes bases for them and with the base and follower I get 23 reloadable no problem. I have read where some have made spacers and glued them to the outside of the mags to make them work in the larger mag well

Good luck

Mike

If you are going to play with smaller mags you baby eagle mags are a good starting point they are the same as small frame tanfoglio mags and henning makes bases for them and with the base and follower I get 23 reloadable no problem. I have read where some have made spacers and glued them to the outside of the mags to make them work in the larger mag well

Good luck

Mike

I have tried the Baby Eagle mags (I have 6 of them for my Baby Eagle). They have the same taper as the front spacer mags Tanfoglio mags, so they also nosedive. But my Baby Eagle seems to still feed ok, just like some can get the front spacer mags to feed ok.

Henning himself said that the Mec-Gar CZ75 magazine may be my best bet for getting a properly feeding mag.

Thanks,

- Nealio

I have some Sp-01 mags and they will lock in my Match, but won't stay in. I imagine with a spacer, they'd be GTG.

Henning himself said that the Mec-Gar CZ75 magazine may be my best bet for getting a properly feeding mag.

Thanks,

- Nealio

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I picked up the following:

MecGar 16 rd CZ 75 B magazine

Tanfoglio small frame follower

Grams 11 coil mag spring

Henning H-141S magazine extension

I had to shave the follower a tad so it would go high enough to lock the slide. It only took a couple minutes of work. Then I used double sided tape to stick a metal spacer on the back and taped some thin plastic spacers on the sides. It appears to load and feed 20 rounds reliably (as it should).

I'll take it out Monday and actually shoot it, but this looks very promising. It loads into the gun fine and engages the mag catch fine.

Edited by Nealio

You just might need to shorten that spring to 10 coils. The 11 coil has been too much spring for mine, feeding bullets would get jammed on the feedramp. Of course that would only happen under actual live fire conditions. Hopefully the 11 coil will work as is for you. Oh, use the grams STI-SV 9mm follower as well with his spring, you should get 23 in the mag.

Shot Steel Challenge tonight with the CZ mag (with an external spacer). Loaded it up to 20 rounds every stage and it ran flawlessly.

I'll report on how the Grams follower works later this week.

Glk21C,

I put the Grams follower in last night, but all my rounds were nosediving bad. Plus I could only get 22 rounds in there (may need to clip the spring). Do I need to bend the spring so the follower tilts upwards?

With the stock wedge follower I get 20 rounds in there and no nosedives.. :(

Yes, as I stated earlier the 11 coil is too much spring. Good luck, this formula has worked in my small frame open gun great.

Modded factory followers worked for me as well, until they started rolling over. Grams stuff has been much more reliable, for me anyway

Well I ran the Idaho State USPSA championships this weekend. My MecGar CZ75 mag with external spacer was flawless. I couldn't get the Grams follower to work right, so I stuck with the stock spacer. Had only 2 misfeeds on the day, both on the last stage, and both on one of my large frame mags.. :(

Thinking of making an internal spacer for the magazine channel in the grip, so I can just run the MecGar CZ75 mags without putting a spacer on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Nealio:

I have three large frame mags for my 9 mm witness elite match that have no spacers at all in them and a fourth one that I assume is a front spacer as it has a metal strip running down the length of the magazine at the bullet end. I am wondering if you have experimented with adding some sort of spacer on the rear of the mags that have no spacer in them at all and modifying the follower to fit. If I understand what you are trying to do correctly to get workable mags that hold all the bullets possible, it seems like this is a relatively simple project to actually do. The question is, will it work? Just wondering if you have tried this in your experimentation and what success or lack thereof you may have had... Thanks.

Bob

Nealio:

I have three large frame mags for my 9 mm witness elite match that have no spacers at all in them and a fourth one that I assume is a front spacer as it has a metal strip running down the length of the magazine at the bullet end. I am wondering if you have experimented with adding some sort of spacer on the rear of the mags that have no spacer in them at all and modifying the follower to fit. If I understand what you are trying to do correctly to get workable mags that hold all the bullets possible, it seems like this is a relatively simple project to actually do. The question is, will it work? Just wondering if you have tried this in your experimentation and what success or lack thereof you may have had... Thanks.

Bob

I tried to put a rear spacer in a Tanfoglio .38 Super magazine (which is what I'm guessing you have?), but it didn't work that well. The taper isn't aggressive enough so the rounds don't have the support to keep them from nose-diving.

The only mags that I could get to work are the Tanfoglio 9mm factory rear spacer mags (that I fitted with my own full length spacer), and the Mec-Gar CZ-75B 9mm mags. I've been unsuccessful with my spacers in the .38 Super mags and the 9mm factory front spacer mags.

Like I have mentioned before, changing the spacer itself doesn't really have much effect on the problem. Its the shape of the indents that transition the rounds from double to single stack. If that transition isn't tight enough, the 9mm rounds won't get enough support at the front of the case when feeding and will therefore nosedive.

- Nealio

• 2 months later...

Decided to update this so the new guys can see it.

Been running the CZ-75B mag with the external spacer since August and it has literally been flawless. Feeds 20 rounds every time, and the slide locks back.

I'm currently working on a spacer kit for the mags as well as a spacer to go inside the magazine channel of the grip so you can just run CZ-75 mags without modification.