Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Scopes for Action PIstol

Bafaction

I have used an Aimpoint now since 1994. Had tried others but could not find anything back then that had the reliability, clarity and lack of parallax that the Aimpoint offered. Since then we have progressed through the various different models to the Comp C and now the Micro. Don't remember the last time I changed a battery

Ask yourself a question, Do you want clean, clear, reliable parallax free optics? Answer yes! Save the bucks and get an Aimpoint.

By the way, if any of you will be in Bates City this weekend for the MO Regional I will have a Micro there for you to take a look at.

GrantJ ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have had it with my TASCO's I just go one back from getting fixed and used it today and guess what??? The dot went out on me again, Looks like I will be looking around for a AIMPOINT, seeing there has been so many good comments about them.

Ok Guys what is the best dot size to get? I think the one I have is about 5 - 8 MOA Is it any better to get a smaller dot of do you try to be a lot more precise with a smaller dot over the larger one. 10MOA is way to big for me tho I have used a 10MOA a number years ago but like the one I have now. I was thinking the 2MOA may be a bit small especially if shooting the plates and it is very bright day with sun on them, as they dot may wash out and not be seen.

Edited by Bafaction

4 MOA is about ideal. It only covers 1/2 the X-ring at 50 yds. If you go much larger, you lose the X-ring at the longer distances. An 8 MOA completely covers the X-ring at that distance, and accuracy suffers because of it. One of the advantages of the PFI scope is the 4-reticle design. There's a tombstone reticle that perfectly outlines the target at 50 yds and a three-vertical dot setup that comes in handy when the light's just too bright to see the regular dot in plates. I also use the tombstone at the 10 yd line on the weak-hand 3 & 3 to help me find the center dot! :roflol:

Alan~^~

There is a new small scope like the Aimpoint Micro on page 84 of the Sept. 2010 Blue Press. It is the Konus SightPro Atomic Red Dot. $150.00 MSRP. It's supposed to be tough and reliable. Time will tell. Edit to add - OK I'm blind. it's page 64.

Edited by Toolguy

There is a new small scope like the Aimpoint Micro on page 84 of the Sept. 2010 Blue Press. It is the Konus SightPro Atomic Red Dot. $150.00 MSRP. It's supposed to be tough and reliable. Time will tell.

You must get a different edition of the Blue Press than I do! Mine only has 80 pages if you put a number on the back cover.:roflol:

Alan~^~

I just want the number of the girl onthe front cover of any of the blue Presses.

Dot Size,

I go with a 4MOA, I have tried 2MOA and it is awesome at 50Y, but at 10 when I am fumble mucking about I need it bright and there. BArricade 4MOA is just about perfect for me.

5MOA was the standard years ago but anything that does not cover the X ring at 50 will work.

I have been looking around for a Aimpoint but the prices in OZ are over $700 AUD, I wanted to get one cheaper from USA but I am not able to get one due to the requlations on exporting, Does any one have any suggestion on how else I can get one that is not to much.

Im completely clueless about the laws and regs, but can anyone coming to the World shoot bring you one?

I think it all has to do with exporting regs???? But if someone had a spare and bought it over with them that would be fine

Brett,

Contact someone at the NRA and see what they can do about putting you in conatct with someone coming to the Worlds, as far as I know there are about 6 guys coming. See if you can someone to take delivery of one.

The difficulty is that Aimpoint Comp's are now partially restricted and many people are nervous about exporting. Plus most US companies will not take an overseas credit card for delivery to someone within the US. You don't ahve much time is also a problem.

Aimpoint have discontinued the CompC and anyone that has stock is pushing the price up. They were about the same here before they ran dry, now we can't get any.

Are you coming over here for our Nationals at the end of August?

If so we can talk better then.

I won't be over for your the NZ Nationals, Like most of us this year Holidays are a bit of an issue.

Has any one else had experience with the ULTRADOT http://www.ultradotusa.com/index.html I have had a look at one as one of my fellow shooters has one in the UltraDot 4 and it has very little to non existance parallax.

Any thoughts please, By the way My scope worked a treat on the weekend I am still looking for a upgrade option.

Edited by Bafaction

I won't be over for your the NZ Nationals, Like most of us this year Holidays are a bit of an issue.

Has any one else had experience with the ULTRADOT http://www.ultradotusa.com/index.html I have had a look at one as one of my fellow shooters has one in the UltraDot 4 and it has very little to non existance parallax.

Any thoughts please, By the way My scope worked a treat on the weekend I am still looking for a upgrade option.

Some of the local guys I shoot with are using the UltraDot Match dot (Ron, Chuck, Mike). They seem to be very happy with them, and none have had to be sent back that Im aware of. Unless I get a Aimpoint for a steal, Im leaning towards the Matchdot or PFI.

Thanks Travis

I was wondering what scope you were using, I am still thinking on what I should get. It may look like a Ultra Dot at the moment. I better hurry up and decide as the worlds are not that far off now.

Brett

Thanks Travis

I was wondering what scope you were using, I am still thinking on what I should get. It may look like a Ultra Dot at the moment. I better hurry up and decide as the worlds are not that far off now.

Brett

Brett,

I will try and make it easy for you. ..... How much does it cost to travel and shoot each year at a competitive level??? I guess you are like me - thousands (dont tell my wife!!)

Therefore why quibble over a few hundred dollars more for a scope that will work first time everytime?? Are you prepared to spend $300 entry to the world shoot, $500 airfares and $500 accommodation for a $2 Tasco to sh..t itself again? A failure at any shoot hurts - trust me, Ive been there.

Dig deep and buy an Aimpoint which is the best option off the shelf in Australia.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried it this weekend and Not too happy with the scope, I tend to see a blurry target (Worse on Mover)or at times 2 targets just offset by small amount, Looks like the scope has some sort of magnification. I did have a look at a another Aimpoint and I had the same problem. My Tasco's

(I have 3 Of them)do not do that to me, I am wondering if it is to do with my glasses I use, of does anyone else have this problem. I struggled to shoot any good scores with this scope today, I will be putting my Tasco back on again. Got a state Champs next weekend.

Besides that this scope is very well built and has the best size dot and shape that I have ever used.

Edited by Bafaction