Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm bullet recommendations for production class

jeeper90

OK Guys, I'm new back to shooting IPCS/USPSA (1990) and I'm looking for a recommendation for bullets and powder 9mm stock Glock 34 for my son. I have 8 lbs of Clays so I would like to use it. I have 8 lbs of 473aa. Shooting in the production/L10 class. It looks like plated bullets are limited to 1200 FPS so maybe not the best choice. 124gr jacket? 115 jacketed? #2 Alloy? Who has the best price for the best product? I have the same questions for the .40S&W for myself.

Thanks,

Chris

OK Guys, I'm new back to shooting IPCS/USPSA (1990) and I'm looking for a recommendation for bullets and powder 9mm stock Glock 34 for my son. I have 8 lbs of Clays so I would like to use it. I have 8 lbs of 473aa. Shooting in the production/L10 class. It looks like plated bullets are limited to 1200 FPS so maybe not the best choice. 124gr jacket? 115 jacketed? #2 Alloy? Who has the best price for the best product? I have the same questions for the .40S&W for myself.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris!

Welcome to the forum. Tons of info available.

Check out my signature line. Hundreds of threads

and thousands of posts. Bring plenty food and water

you'll need it.

Thanks,

Chris

You can only shoot 9 major in Open Class. 9 mm in Limited 10 or Limited is going to be minor no matter how fast the bullets, its just the rules. TiteGroup will work fine with your 124's in minor. Try starting out at 4.0gr and crono you are looking for 1048 fps AVG or 130pf or more.

Plated bullets work ok but they don't give the best accuracy. I don't know anything about Glock, but I will say from what I know you picked the correct model to shoot in USPSA. In jacketed bullets I rank Zero #1 and Montana Gold #2. Zeros you can get at http://www.shootersconnection.com and Montana Gold at http://montanagoldbullet.com/ If you decide to shoot Zeros get all you can when you can get them, they are hard to come by. MTG seems to be keeping up with demand. Precision Delta also sells Jacketed bullets at reloader prices with the best deal a 10K, I have not shot them so I can't give them a rating.

I'm not a production shooter but the BigDawgs use 147gr, and they are winning so they must have done their homework. The basic theory to work with uncompensated guns is a heavier bullet with a fast powder gives the best results for less recoil and flip and let you shoot faster. Actually the differences are small but then again a 1/2 second on a COF is huge.

Clays is a very good powder for 45, its what I shoot in my SS with 200gr Moly bullets at 4.3gr for 168pf. Clays will work well with 40 in minor. There is a lot of info here on 40 major, some folks shoot it major but if you do make sure you use only the best of your brass as it is a high pressure load, and the Glock is a short round gun < 1.180 so that makes for more pressure.

Good Luck.

Hello: I shot some loads through my G34 today. The bullets are Montana Gold 115JHP,12IFP. Zero 125JHP and Precision Moly 147's. I am using Tite Group for powder since it is alot safer than Clays for 9mm. They are loaded to 1.140" OAL and using Winchester small pistol primers. All the PF are all about 131. The 115's take 4.2 grains, 121 3.9 grains, 125's 3.9 grains and the 147's take 3.0 grains. I am liking the 121's and the 125's so far. I know the Team Glock load is 147's and the power factor was 132 when Dave shot here. Hope this helps and welcome back. Thanks, Eric

Like you, I have an 8 lb. jug of Clays on hand. Loved it in .45, but now I'm shooting 9mm for Production. Thought I'd give it a try (Clays, that is).

So far, the best accuracy/velocity load I've come up with from my CZ Shadow is 3.8 gr. Clays/ Zero 124 gr. FMJ bullet/ Win Sm Pistol primers/ mixed brass. I'm getting about 130 for Power Factor with this load, and it's very comfortable to shoot - quick with small recoil and sights back on target quick. I have been watching for signs of excess pressure, since Clays is a very fast burning powder, not very forgiving of load variations and thus prone to pressure spikes. I haven't seen any signs of anything running afoul yet.

Best advice I can give you if you want to duplicate this load for your gun is to start with the load a bit light - maybe 3.3 gr. - and work up little by little...while being watchful for signs of excess pressure.

Good luck.

I tried Clays with 147s and it wouldn't even cycle my gun at the max, which is 3.0 grains.

3.8 grains is well beyond what I'd load with 124s.

In my opinion, Clays is not a good choice at all for 9mm, with any weight of bullets, but especially not with heavy bullets.

Hell, Accurate says not to even use Solo 1000 in 9mm with heavy bullets.....and it's a single base powder.

Just don't do it. Buy another powder.

jeeper90, you definitely should do what you're comfortable with. If using Clays makes you nervous, use something else. Plenty of good powders out there.

I tried Clays with 147s and it wouldn't even cycle my gun at the max, which is 3.0 grains.

I'm not surprised. I don't think Hodgdon's Reloading Data site even lists a Clays load for 147 gr. bullets.

3.8 grains is well beyond what I'd load with 124s.

Again I'll refer to Hodgdon's web site - they list 3.7 as the max load on a 125 gr. FMJ bullet squeezed down to 1.090" in OAL. I'm loading mine to 1.150" OAL, so I figured I'd have enough wiggle room without building excess pressure. I haven't seen any sign of dangerous pressure - no flattened primers or bulged cases or anything like that. The load cycles the gun perfectly, and it's accurate. So for me, it's working out well.

Edited by Jeff Matzka

• 1 month later...
Hodgdon's web site - they list 3.7 as the max load on a 125 gr. FMJ bullet squeezed down to 1.090" in OAL.

I tested 3.7gr of Clays under a 125gr Zero JHP 1.125 OAL. Glock 17 w/Storm Lake Barrel 80°. Low 1010 fps 126.3 PF, hi 1049 fps 131.1 PF, average 1030 fps 128.8 PF, SD 11.95. The MAX load from Hodgdon just makes minor power factor. I would not trust this load to pass a chrono stage.

Hodgdon's web site - they list 3.7 as the max load on a 125 gr. FMJ bullet squeezed down to 1.090" in OAL.

I tested 3.7gr of Clays under a 125gr Zero JHP 1.125 OAL. Glock 17 w/Storm Lake Barrel 80°. Low 1010 fps 126.3 PF, hi 1049 fps 131.1 PF, average 1030 fps 128.8 PF, SD 11.95. The MAX load from Hodgdon just makes minor power factor. I would not trust this load to pass a chrono stage.

You should always chrono whatever load you decide on in YOUR gun. While GForcelizard is getting velocities that just make Minor(125 PF)from his Glock, I'm getting 130 PF velocities from my CZ. Someone else with a S&W may have still different results. Heck, you can have two guns of the same model and same load achieve different velocities. It pays to test in your gun to find out what works.

A minimum load of Universal Clays with 124/125gr jacketed bullets from a G17 size gun will easily make power factor and give you noticeably milder shooting ammo than factory ammo. It's got the added benefit that a double charge of this load won't fit a 9mm case.

Some also really like WST for 9mm, but Hodgdon publishes no 9mm data for it, and if you email them about it, they'll tell you they specifically don't recommend it for 9mm.

Here are some past threads you may find helpful. My opinion is pretty clear as you'll discover when reading. Straight old CLAYS has been well established for years as a GREAT propellant for minor 9mm, 40 S&W loads. The one I mention has easily pasted chrono at many major matches over the years in my G17.

FWIW cheers.gif

http://www.brianenos...=1

http://www.brianenos...1

PD 124g fmj back with 4.1 Titegroup at 1.135 is my standard load these days. Officially chronoed at 1106 out of my G34 with stock barrel at WA State IDPA Championship this year. A little hotter than most that load for the G34 using the same components, I know However, I like that it will still make PF out of my G19 comfortably should I have to move to it for a backup.