Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Firing Pin Question

Gordian

I have a bent firing pin in my STI 2011 (not exactly sure how this happened but it did).

I'd like to shoot this gun tomorrow night but I don't know of any place that's local that has an STI firing pin.

I do know of a local gunshop that stocks Wilson stuff and that will have a Wilson firing pin.

Will this work?

Thanks for the help.

Ok - good point. Will a .45 firing pin work in a .40?

Take two minutes and call STI, but I know my .40s have the same firing pin as my .38/9s from them....so a .45 pin wouldn't work. I don't know if that has always been the case, so it's worth checking with them. R,

Holy Moly, You are in the shooting mecca of the world in Phx. There are many excellent gunsmiths that will steer you in the right direction. Try Eddie C or Frank G to begin. Yost is there as is Angus, Don G.

Call those guys first and get good info.

Personally I use an extended pin from Matt McLearn in Payson.

Holy Moly, You are in the shooting mecca of the world in Phx. There are many excellent gunsmiths that will steer you in the right direction. Try Eddie C or Frank G to begin. Yost is there as is Angus, Don G.

Call those guys first and get good info.

Personally I use an extended pin from Matt McLearn in Payson.

pjb45 is right we have everything in this town. I do know that Ed Cameron is in the northwest valley which should be close to you.

I found that there are basically two sizes of firing pin from both STI and Wilson. The small 9/38 and the large 45. My buddy picked up a 9/38 for me while I was at work and it works great.

Yes - several calls were made around town, but didn't call Ed.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I have a spare in the mail from Bob.

I have heard of this before from someone dry firing on empty cases with ONLY a bullet seated. No primer?

Is this your case?

:closedeyes:

This was probably the case but it was purely unintentional. I may have pulled the trigger on 5 or so rounds, but I guess that was enough. Usually I put hot melt glue in the primer pockets but laziness got me this time... Lesson learned not to do that again.

Thanks again for the help and hope this helps someone else.

• 5 months later...

I have heard of this before from someone dry firing on empty cases with ONLY a bullet seated. No primer?

Is this your case?

:closedeyes:

This was probably the case but it was purely unintentional. I may have pulled the trigger on 5 or so rounds, but I guess that was enough. Usually I put hot melt glue in the primer pockets but laziness got me this time... Lesson learned not to do that again.

Thanks again for the help and hope this helps someone else.

Same thing happened to me tonight. Dry fire, dummy rounds w/no primer. Pin got bent on the 5th round. I straightened the pin, but decided to order a new one. When looking for a replacement, I measured the old pin. It was .065" (9/38/40). Odd thing was, my gun is a 45 ACP (standard pin dia = .091"). I confirmed by trying my "45" firing pin in my STI .40. It fit. Has anyone else come across this? The .45 in question is an STI Sentry, BTW.

a number of manufacturers use the 9mm firing pin in their 45, so it is not unusual. what is the firing pin breech hole diameter?.....

I wasn't able to measure it with my calipers, only the firing pin itself. I tried to insert a .088" dia punch through the breech end, and it wouldn't fit. The firing pin hole is noticeabley smaller, and the .065 dia firing pin fits with no slop, so I'd guess the firing pin hole approximately the same size. I emailed STI tech support to confirm, but I can't figure if they use the same size firing pin for all calibers, why they offer two size firing pins. Maybe this is a recent change across the board, or a simple manufacturing error.

Sounds like your gun is a newer model and uses the 9mm pin, most manufacturers have gone to the smaller firing pin, more positive primer strike, less erosion possibly? most older kimber and colts have the larger size pin.

Makes sense. It is a brand new STI. Glad I measured it first before ordering the replacement. Thanks.

Sad to say I have done the same. Hard lesson learned. Dry fire on a round without a primer = firing pin stuck in flash hole of case. When trying to eject the case the firing bent. Took some doing to straighten it enough to even remove it from the frame. Lesson learned don't dry fire on a case with an empty primer pocket.

I have some dummy rounds made up without primers, but I only use them for mag loading (keep the chamber empty)

After reading this thread, I'm gonna drill out the flash holes so that they are the same size as the pocket. Just in case ;)