Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transferring Files

I just bought a new computer and I was wondering if there was a good way to transfer files from my old pc to my new one. The old one doesn't have a cd/rw or anything that easy and there are quite a few mp3 files and the like that I would like to keep. The old is an EMachine with Windows 98 if that matters and the new is a Dell with XP. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Chris

I did that a couple of years ago when my Dell laptop was done (win 98) and I was getting an HP laptop (Win XP). Same deal...no CD-R in the Dell. I ended up bying a bi-directional network cord (the green one) and going through the Ethernet cards. You have to go into Network Neighborhood in both machines and set up file sharing for both machines, get them seeing each other, and just drag and drop. I can't really explain how to set up the network....I didn't get it either, and had a computer-geek friend walk me through it. If you know a geek, hit him up. It's pretty easy if someone is explaining it to you.

Brian's probably right, if both machines have ethernet ports, especially if they've both got 100mbit ethernet ports, a crossover cable is $5 and works great.

Other options include removing the HD from the old one and sticking it in the new one for long enough to move files.

Both of the above are don't-try-this-at-home if you haven't fiddled with that sort of thing before.

Best DIY for the non-geek is probably one of the USB-transfer kits that are available (of course you need to make sure your old machine has a USB port that works)

If you have USB on the older machine, try an outboard/portable USB hard drive. Most firewire pocket drives have USB ports too. This requires no network setup or special software and you can just drag and drop files in Explorer once the outboard drive mounts. A ZIP-100 or ZIP-250 drive will also do the trick if you don't mind a little disk swapping (how much swapping depends on the file load you are transferring).

--

Regards,

The old HD should drop into the new machine fairly easily as a second or slave HD. Where did you get the new one from? If they are a computer store they probably have a tech department that can configure the old drive as a slave and plug it in for you. Since they sold you the new one, they probably would do it for free.