Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP01 SHADOW 5 inches

WARDOG

Just bought my new cz sp01 with 5 inches (DK model). Sorely disappointed.

Worst trigger pull ever. Tons (and I mean TONS)of pretravel, overtravel, mushy, spongy, abyssal reset.

Worst finish ever. Just brutal.

The gun has the best grip shape ever, but it needs a gunsmith asap.

The trigger is the stainless thin one. Basically crap.

Totally, sorely disappointed. Lotsa work to do...

Sorry to hear that. My Shadow and P-01 triggers both got lots better with some use. 500-1000 rounds and they were entirely different guns.

What gun(s) are you used to shooting before buying a SP-01 ?

Sorry to hear that. My Shadow and P-01 triggers both got lots better with some use. 500-1000 rounds and they were entirely different guns.

What gun(s) are you used to shooting before buying a SP-01 ?

After that break-in period where'd the triggers end up, pull weight wise, on both guns?

Ive since sold the P-01, so I dont know. The Shadow is under 3.5lbs SA (I stopped testing after that because that was the limit for Bianchi cup production and I couldnt use it for that anymore). I watched the Shadow go from 3lbs 10oz to 3lbs 2oz in about 500 rounds (not the first 500). Its probably right at 3lbs and its not a Custom or had any trigger work to it yet. I do have a comp hammer to install eventually when I get around to it.

It's not the trigger weight, it's the quality..it's awful..

I compete with a glock, with a 1.5lbs trigger, but that's not the point..

The new trigger style is absolute crap, terrible..just terrible..

Wow that's alot of negatives. I have handled 4 Shadows in the last couple of weeks, and all seemed perfect in every way. That's really something to have that terrible of a trigger, and the finish from what I have seen on CZ's for the last number of years has been pretty good I thought. Have you consulted your distributor?

Have heard a lot of people not like the new trigger shape that CZ is using. Most like the old style thicker trigger. new style is thinner and has a new curve to it.

on the finish..are you talking about the polycoat or all the machine marks that CZ leaves inside the gun?

All the CZs I have seen are oversprung. which makes the trigger pulls heavy and creepy. most of the factory hammers have really deep hammer hooks which make the SA creepy and long, the Shadow in the US has a different hammer which has relatively short hooks. but no experience with CZs in Europe.

I compared my shadow with the one of a teammate, two years old. Apples and oranges, fit and finish in older specimen is way better. The older style trigger is lightyears ahead, trigger pull is better in every respect, the finish on my shadow barrel is so bad it's beyond belief, my teammate ordered himself a new shadow, after seeing mine called the dealer and resigned the order.

I choose mine between three specimen, mine had the best fit and finish and the best trigger pull, so my guess is that cz europe took a deep plunge in QC.

The new style trigger is beyond belief, it has to be tried to know how bad it is.

I waited for my shadow six months, older style triggers are out of stock everywhere, cz did not manufacture them no more (why, it's beyond my comphrension..).

I wrote for an Italian ezine, definitely I will advise Italian shooters AGAINST buying this pistol. It's a shame because grip shape is the best in business, but buying a gun that was PERFECT for production and ending with something that is a pain in the ass every trigger pull is not worth IMHO.

I will try to obtain an 85 trigger, if not, I will sell the things immediately, and with me cz is done forever.

I compete with a glock, with a 1.5lbs trigger, but that's not the point..

1.5lbs on an actual trigger gauge?

I will try to obtain an 85 trigger, if not, I will sell the things immediately, and with me cz is done forever.

One gun you're not happy with and rather than try to get CZ to address the problems you'll just write them off forever? That seems a bit extreme (and I don't even own a CZ). R,

Edited by G-ManBart

I think it's pretty common knowledge that most CZ's need some some work on the trigger from the factory to get them nice, including changing out a few springs.

How about posting some pics of the "Horrible" finish?

Before buying the shadow I bought aluminium grips, and other spare parts. I've just installed the grips, and the left grip screw hole is misaligned. It's just a fraction of mm, but enough that tightening the screw was done with much effort and marring the inside of the screw recess on the aluminium grip.

Installing the very same grip panel on my teammate older shadow was a perfect fit.

I will post pics and specs.

As for addressing the issues with cz dealer here..obviously you guys never heard of customer service in Italy..they don't ever answer emails from customers they only talk with firearm dealers.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the shadow is one of the best pistol, however it's impossible not being aware of the decline of QC in newer specimens.

WARDOG...sorry to hear about your "lemon" Shadow. In case you did not know, here in the US, we call those one-off, isolated bad products "lemons." In my case, my Shadow has acceptable finish -- for a service pistol --, nice trigger (after a trigger job), and aligned grip screws. Nonetheless, I still wish the double action pull is shorter, lighter, and the single action pull has less pre-travel. For what it is, the Shadow is working well for me. As a new owner, my performance at the range thus far indicates that I am shooting better with my Shadow that with my XDM.

And, CZ-USA purportedly has really good reputation for customer service. I guess the Italian counter-part needs to learn something from CZ-USA. Perhaps, you should try to ask your vendor to replace your Shadow. Why not give it a shot? Good luck.

Before buying the shadow I bought aluminium grips, and other spare parts. I've just installed the grips, and the left grip screw hole is misaligned. It's just a fraction of mm, but enough that tightening the screw was done with much effort and marring the inside of the screw recess on the aluminium grip.

Installing the very same grip panel on my teammate older shadow was a perfect fit.

I will post pics and specs.

As for addressing the issues with cz dealer here..obviously you guys never heard of customer service in Italy..they don't ever answer emails from customers they only talk with firearm dealers.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the shadow is one of the best pistol, however it's impossible not being aware of the decline of QC in newer specimens.

I have had several examples of CZ and Tanfoglio with some less than great QC, but the CZs have been better than the Tanfos. I also hate any other trigger style besides the classic trigger, the new curved ones are awful. The shape of the DA tanfo triggers aren't any better. Only one in three CZs had some QC issues, but 2 of three Tanfoglio have QC issues. A lighter hammer spring and synthetic lube on the fire control parts really helps the quality of the CZ trigger pull...and lots of use!

You should have bought the Shadow Target to begin with. All the trigger and action work has already been done by CZ Custom. I love mine. I am sending my 75B to them for work. I also sent out my 40P to Matt Mink and it came back a different gun.

All CZ'S need trigger and action work. I have never shot one that didn't need work.

Once you get enough rounds through them, the proper springs, a little detailing, and correct lubrication makes the trigger pretty awesome. Pending what you require for a trigger, I don't belive they need much work, if any. The work mine gets is trigger time. I handled another Shadow recently that had all of the custom parts, and some trigger work done, and I couldn't see any significant difference between it and mine, and I still have the original hammer.

All CZ'S need trigger and action work. I have never shot one that didn't need work.

Depends on what you expect out of it. (And what model, and when it was produced.)

My EDC is a 75 Compact - no action work there, and it's perfectly fine. My father's 75B - '00 IIRC - is great, and there's only ever been one thing done to it: he put wood grips on it. The stock SAO CZs (75B SA and TS) I've shot and handled were all great - better than most production-grade 1911s, IMO.

Are they the level of my tuned CZs? No, of course not. But they're more than adequate for most work. I run my 75C regularly in IDPA-style matches and am not hampered by any factor from the gun.

There are plenty of CZs that are pretty damn good out-of-the-box, and don't really need any work. But there are also a lot of ones that are more rough-around-the-edges and could use a little work to bring out their full potential.

I am pretty sure its for European countries that require a minimum barrel length because of laws..similiar to the Aussie version of the Shadow. I think DK is for Denmark. not sure though.

wardog, I would love to see pics of your gun. I would have to look for my paperwork, but I think my shadow was made this year, and fit and finish is excellent, and the trigger almost seems better I think than it's supposed to be.

My SP-01 Shadow's trigger improved greatly after the 1st 1,000 rounds. Afterwards, replacing the main & recoil springs completed the transformation. I would appreciate a shorter travel, but it is almost perfect otherwise.

Curiously enough, the trigger on my Jericho 941 - an Israeli clone of CZ-75 - was way ahead of the Shadow's in every respect from day one. I think it still has a slight edge, with reset being just a tad shorter. Still using factory springs on that one.

...Jericho 941 - an Israeli clone of CZ-75...

Actually, it's an Israeli variant of a Tanfoglio, which is an Italian CZ clone. (Effectively two generations removed: CZ-UB -> Tanfoglio -> IMI)

wink.gif

Agreed - actually, parts are made by Tanfoglio, with assembly in Israel. The design is CZ though.