Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

choosing a division

I started USPSA in production but I don't recommend that route. I realize its often recommended as a good starting point but that is mainly due to cost. I have come to believe that Production really is for the experienced USPSA shooter and that Open or Limited is a better division for new shooters. My reasoning is based on the fact that the stage breakdown is completely different and the multiple reloads required. Essentially you have all the shooting concerns of someone shooting limited but have the added difficulty of reloading an extra 2 to 3 times and that makes the entire stage more complicated by adding the extra burdens. As a new shooter trying to learn the basics of the grip, calling shots, recoil control, shooting and moving, etc, etc, the burden of having to manage the stage with three to five reloads can be overwhelming. I feel its best to remove as many variables as possible for a beginner and would start a new shooter out on open at the very least limited.

to put my 0.2 c here

I'm a noobie still, started L-10, it was hard. reloading, shooting, safety, nerves, i think its too much at one time. Then i switched to Limited. there you can concentrate more on shooting and safety. pointing your gun to the right direction, minding your 180, just plain shooting and having fun..

I mean breaking down the stage into where to reload, what if you miss (production) i think its too much. but that is me, im slow learner. Im going dark side now :cheers: i plan to do production probably every after 4 match to get a break, do production and get practice with my reloads.

I know that eventually I want to shoot with an open gun. I've shot one before and they appeal to me in a big way, but I know that just starting out I'm not ready for that just yet. So, the question is -which division is good to start out in. Keep in mind that I'm that type A, ocd having kind of person thats never satisfied with his performance and always believes that something more could have been done. I like the limited division, but im unfamiliar with what weapons would be best to go with. I have also though very hard on Production and have my heart settled on an M&P Pro 9. so, what do you guys think? I havent bought a weapon yet and would like to hear some opinions from you who are willing before i spend the money. Thanks in advance.

Nox

Go OPEN, it's what you want, so do it. I started in OPEN and just about 6 summers later I'm an "A". Now, I can clearly see advantages as far as fundamentals go, by starting in other divisions that will force you to learn. By this I mean a division like PRODUCTION will force better stage planning and reload skills on you sooner. But, by the time you're a high "C" or "B" you'll have those down fairly good anyways.

Caveat: My Pops said "You want to shoot USPSA with me", I said yes, and he handed me an OPEN gun. Yea, I know, I'm lucky.

• 3 weeks later...

I started out shooting production and am still shooting production and I love it. I am expecting new equipment that I ordered that consists of a new Double Alpha belt and mag pouches. With that equipment ordered I've contemplated about shooting Limited-10 but will definitely stick with production as well. Shooting production will definitely help you in your accuracy, stage breakdowns, and reloads.

SR9Shooter

to put my 0.2 c here

I'm a noobie still, started L-10, it was hard. reloading, shooting, safety, nerves, i think its too much at one time. Then i switched to Limited. there you can concentrate more on shooting and safety. pointing your gun to the right direction, minding your 180, just plain shooting and having fun..

I mean breaking down the stage into where to reload, what if you miss (production) i think its too much. but that is me, im slow learner. Im going dark side now :cheers: i plan to do production probably every after 4 match to get a break, do production and get practice with my reloads.

This is scaring me a little!

Since I am about to take the plunge into USPSA and only have a Kimber II .45, I was thinking of going the SS route.

You may have a point that it could be too much to keep track of.

hmmm..

[

Since I am about to take the plunge into USPSA and only have a Kimber II .45, I was thinking of going the SS route.

hmmm..

Foisgrassdedieu,

Nothing to be scared of. Starting out in PROD, L10, or SS, reloading whenever you move or just shooting to slidelock are not bad strategies. Do not worry about stage planning or speed yet. Just be safe and collect your As. With your equipment, you can go two routes. SS with 8 round mags or L10 with 10 round mags. I really would not worry about it too much. The other stuff will come with experience.

Regards,

Jack

Edited for clarity of point

Edited by murkish

hmmm..

Show up, watch the front sight, shoot. Nothing to be scared of. If all you have is a SS then shoot it. If you can try to get on a squad with somebody that has shot a SS for a little while, your in TX I know there are several guys down there that shoot a lot of SS.