Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Having trouble resizing

I just got myself setup to start reloading but I haven't made it past the resizing die. I have a lyman tru-line jr press with RCBS carbide dies to reload 9mm. After tumbling the brass I set up the die to just contact the shellholder at full extension of the press. I then inserted a case into the shellholder and tried to run it through the resizing/depriming die. I could not insert the full case into the die, only half the case would insert. The shellholder was about 1/2" from the die and the depriming pin was not preventing the case from inserting into the die. I cannot determine what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

One possibility is that the depriming pin

is not fully centered, and not contacting

the punchable primer, but hitting the

cartridge case (which, of course, it

can't get thru, so it's stopping right

there.

Why do you think it's not the depriming pin?

I finally got the press working. It did turn out to need case lube. I was under the impression that it wasn't needed with carbide dies, but it certainly seems to. I sprayed some one shot case lube in the die originally and it didn't help, but after spraying the cases everything works pretty well. Thanks for everyone's help I really appreciate it.

yes, lube is your friend, even on the littlest cases like the 9mm it makes things go ALOT smoother, I too, was ofthe 'but its a carbide die???' crowd, now i lube em all, the original post it was sounding like he may have gotten himself into a batch of berdan primed brass, the other thing is to lock down everything, dies and press, so that nothing moves an or flexes on you while you reload, load a few cases and go back and re-tighten everything down

yes, lube is your friend, even on the littlest cases like the 9mm it makes things go ALOT smoother, I too, was ofthe 'but its a carbide die???' crowd, now i lube em all, the original post it was sounding like he may have gotten himself into a batch of berdan primed brass, the other thing is to lock down everything, dies and press, so that nothing moves an or flexes on you while you reload, load a few cases and go back and re-tighten everything down

I am of the same crowd, too. So, then, what are you using for lube? Spray bottle or lube pad? What are you using to remove your lube after resizing?

I am of the same crowd, too. So, then, what are you using for lube? Spray bottle or lube pad? What are you using to remove your lube after resizing?

+1 on Cali's post!

@ parabellum the lube is called "OneShot" made by hornady you would use this when you are case prepping, spray 1-2 quick sprays on your brass right be for you run em through your press! I use the top lid of my shoe box and spray a couple times and shake the brass around and give it 1 quick shot "if" needed, I let it set inn and dry for about 15 min at least cause if you don't the powder might clump and or stick together and not burn properly and might misfire or not allow your firearms to fire properly. After I spray I run it through the press(my 550) and compleate the round and just wipe with just a towel that I use after I have oiled my weapons. I hope this helps!

All 9mm brass? All different brands? Make sure that you have this problem with commercial brass (i.e., Win, R.P., Speer, etc.)

Just remember, while you are getting frustrated, never force anything.

1) Berdan primed--look inside the case for one or two off center holes.

2) I just hit this yesterday with my 1050—the brass looked like it was heaadstamped in Cyrillic (Russian) and the flash hole was too small. Threw the case away.

3) Military brass with crimped in primer that is stronger than you and your press?

4) Always lube 9mm cases. The carbide insert is much longer, to handle the case taper, and really applies pressure the insert walls

5) depriming pin is bent or off-center--one assumes that the primer was not punched out

6 Get a classic Lee Loader and hammer that case into submission

7) you have entered the Twilight Zone and need to call the die manufacturer.