Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Milled Benelli M1 Bolt Pictures

moto727

Here are a couple pictures from milling the bolt down on my benelli. A big thanks goes out to tod (00bullet) for giving me the specs on how much to mill off. I left a little material at the back of the bolt, some people machine it perfectly flat.

DSC01653.jpg

DSC01652.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

DSC01654.jpg

As for shooting differences, there is a noticeable difference and it looks pretty awesome too!

Very nice. What is the noticeable difference? Less recoil, quicker, handle lighter loads, etc...

Just curious as I'm debating sending mine to Benny for the same thing along with the loading port bevel.

Edited by TimMTP

Very nice. What is the noticeable difference? Less recoil, quicker, handle lighter loads, etc...

Just curious as I'm debating sending mine to Benny for the same thing along with the loading port bevel.

The muzzle doesnt rise up as quickly. Ive heard that it will handle lighter loads but ive never had a problem with them in the first place.

Yes . . .Very well

advantage is that is quick and easy to put on and remove.

no removal, drilling or tapping of the latch release bar button, no little screws to snap off trying to keep a large plastic bar from spinning.

but this is all just my opinion, but i don't think i'm wrong on this one.

Finished product looks great. The logo is a nice touch. What is the weight of the bolt after milling ? Do you know how much weight was removed ?

Thanks

Phil G

Edited by Phil G

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice new avatar Jesse!

There is a little bit more to lightening a bolt carrier than just milling off weight. Symmetry, leaving a grip surface for firing pin retaining pin O ring, and cutting the groove on the bottom all the way to the end to prevent death jams, to name the big ones. I have a stock M1Super 90 with 21" VR barrel that is amazingly fast, and smooth. WIth the lightened bolts,recoil is unchanging but is distributed smoothly, rather than abruptly and may be perceived as less. I have compared lightened recoil springs, lightened trigger springs, and the action is smoother with the light springs. Of course if you use blaster shells, it makes no difference. 'Es machts nichts" I like to practice with 2 3/4 dram loads and it is easier on the shoulder. Another good reason to lighten. This line of threads is fascinating to me, and indicates that there is no perfect new alternative to the M1 Super 90. DVC!