Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

being a bit more relaxed

the thought that as a baseline i will only do as good at a match as i have recently developed skills in practice. what i did in dryfire and a bit of livefire is going to be what i am going to see at the weekend match. you are not going to perform miracles in one session. progress is gradual.

This is very true...From what I have seen shooters end up shooting under their ability simply because they try to do more than they are able to. Some people that are good shooters try to shoot as fast as the M class shooter and end up having a horrible day.

You are right progress in gradual, you will make better and faster advances if you shoot within your ability.

A lot of folks underestimate the need for dry fire and live fire practice. They have an idea how they want to perform at a match and come away confused that they did terribly. If they stick with it long enough they eventually come to the realization that they need dry fire and live fire to advance. Then they come to the realization that they haven't a clue what to practice other than draws and reloads.

Adios,

Pat

I made A recently and the wheels just fell off. Well I figured it out fairly quickly and it comes down to TRYING. I noticed this and thought cool, I'll ride it for awhile. Now I'm reigning it in and smoothing it up. Every once in awhile I think a shooter should just let the wheels come off so to speak, really push the envelope.

the thought that as a baseline i will only do as good at a match as i have recently developed skills in practice. what i did in dryfire and a bit of livefire is going to be what i am going to see at the weekend match. you are not going to perform miracles in one session. progress is gradual.

In a match, my only goal was to shoot to my current ability.

be

This is very true...From what I have seen shooters end up shooting under their ability simply because they try to do more than they are able to. Some people that are good shooters try to shoot as fast as the M class shooter and end up having a horrible day.

You are right progress in gradual, you will make better and faster advances if you shoot within your ability.

I confess, this is me. I get caught up in watching all the other shooters going fast, and like a kid, want to go fast as well....I'm working on it....

Up until a few months ago I never really understood people who got all worked up before a match and then fell apart. I just don't get that excited before a stage and start off pretty relaxed. That is, until an IDPA sanctioned match I shot recently. I was up next and up walks the squad behind us with Bob Vogel and the rest of the high ranked shooters. I had just mapped out the stage in my mind and had a plan that should have finished me in the top of the standings for that stage. Sure enough, I tore that stage up, or at least I thought I had until we scored it. I'm pretty sure my raw time was right up there but I failed to neutralize two targets by hitting a few inches low into hard cover and totally blew the stage. Right there I knew exactly what you guys are talking about. I tried to shoot past my abilities and wasn't seeing what I needed to see.

It was exactly what some of you have said about shooting below my abilities because I tried to go too fast. As bummed as I was about that stage, it did remind me though that if I want to get that fast I need to push it in PRACTICE in order to get to the skill level I want to be at. Gotta fail every once in a while to put you back on track right?